Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

STRONG pressure with dreamware nasal mask
STRONG pressure with dreamware nasal mask
Picked up new dreamware nasal mask today and ran a fit test tonight before using it...it seemed like it was blowing up my lungs like a balloon! Exhale was a bit pressured too, like work! So I reactivated EPR which I had formerly turned off. It still blows up my lungs fiercely. Pressure setting says 8-12 like usual. Anyone else have this problem?

The airsense 10 auto was set up with comfort classic mask as the one I was using originally, could this be the issue? I am guessing that the volume of air that the dreamware mask holds is less than that of the comfort classic mask.

I was unable to find a way to change mask type in clinical settings, but this new dreamware mask option is probably too new to be a listed option anyway.

I think I'll use my old mask until I can talk to the DME...will they have a clue?
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: STRONG pressure with dreamware nasal mask
(01-20-2016, 10:16 PM)Inspired Wrote: Picked up new dreamware nasal mask today and ran a fit test tonight before using it...it seemed like it was blowing up my lungs like a balloon! Exhale was a bit pressured too, like work! So I reactivated EPR which I had formerly turned off. It still blows up my lungs fiercely. Pressure setting says 8-12 like usual. Anyone else have this problem?

The airsense 10 auto was set up with comfort classic mask as the one I was using originally, could this be the issue?
No, the mask setting does not affect the machines pressure. It could just be that your perception of the mask is different, for instance, I found it slightly easier to exhale against than some other masks I used. I would experiment with EPR (3 is easiest to breathe against). I definitely would NOT reduce pressure from whatever your treatment settings are.

You could also experiment with ramp settings, which we can advise on, but I'd first start with the EPR change.

Quote:I was unable to find a way to change mask type in clinical settings, but this new dreamware mask option is probably too new to be a listed option anyway.
There are only 3 settings, pillows, full face, or nasal. Set it to nasal. However that should not make a difference in pressure.

Quote:I think I'll use my old mask until I can talk to the DME...will they have a clue?
You never know but I doubt it, you'll probably be able to get more info here.
Post Reply Post Reply
To my knowledge, the Dreamwear mask is considered a nasal pillow. If that is the case, change "Mask" to "Pillows"

If that isn't an option in the standard menu, go into the Clinician's Menu and it will be there.

If that doesn't help, you can try experimenting with the Ramp time to start with more gentle pressure, or activate the EPR to provide a pressure drop on exhale (higher number - more relief).
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2016, 11:02 PM)Possum Wrote: To my knowledge, the Dreamwear mask is considered a nasal pillow. If that is the case, change "Mask" to "Pillows"
You may be correct, I looked through my notes and realized there is some disagreement about whether it's a nasal or a pillow since technically it's a hybrid. Ridiculously, the manual makes no recommendations. I looked at my machine and I have it set to nasal pillow, which means that's what I must have decided on after my research Smile.

Quote:If that isn't an option in the standard menu, go into the Clinician's Menu and it will be there.

If that doesn't help, you can try experimenting with the Ramp time to start with more gentle pressure, or activate the EPR to provide a pressure drop on exhale (higher number - more relief).

I actually don't think the mask setting affects anything other than how the machine measures mask leaks, at least that seems to be the majority consensus. Although on this subject as well, I've found a few who say otherwise. It would be nice if the manuals were clear on this.
Post Reply Post Reply
Respironics considers DreamWear to be (for the resistance) the same as a regular nasal mask and gives it resistance factor 1 where (most) medium pillows get 2 and small 3 or even 4.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2016, 10:53 PM)Dreams of Green Wrote:
(01-20-2016, 10:16 PM)Inspired Wrote: Picked up new dreamware nasal mask today and ran a fit test tonight before using it...it seemed like it was blowing up my lungs like a balloon! Exhale was a bit pressured too, like work! So I reactivated EPR which I had formerly turned off. It still blows up my lungs fiercely. Pressure setting says 8-12 like usual. Anyone else have this problem?

The airsense 10 auto was set up with comfort classic mask as the one I was using originally, could this be the issue?
No, the mask setting does not affect the machines pressure. It could just be that your perception of the mask is different, for instance, I found it slightly easier to exhale against than some other masks I used. I would experiment with EPR (3 is easiest to breathe against). I definitely would NOT reduce pressure from whatever your treatment settings are.

You could also experiment with ramp settings, which we can advise on, but I'd first start with the EPR change.

Quote:I was unable to find a way to change mask type in clinical settings, but this new dreamware mask option is probably too new to be a listed option anyway.
There are only 3 settings, pillows, full face, or nasal. Set it to nasal. However that should not make a difference in pressure.

Quote:I think I'll use my old mask until I can talk to the DME...will they have a clue?
You never know but I doubt it, you'll probably be able to get more info here.

Will try EPR 3. Thanks for your feedback, Dreams of Green.

(01-20-2016, 11:02 PM)Possum Wrote: To my knowledge, the Dreamwear mask is considered a nasal pillow. If that is the case, change "Mask" to "Pillows"

If that isn't an option in the standard menu, go into the Clinician's Menu and it will be there.

Will try EPR 3. Thanks, Possum.
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2016, 09:13 AM)GPSMapNut Wrote: Respironics considers DreamWear to be (for the resistance) the same as a regular nasal mask and gives it resistance factor 1 where (most) medium pillows get 2 and small 3 or even 4.

Thanks for the info.
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
The mask type tells the machine what pressure drop (or resistance) there is from the mask type which allows the machine to adjust the pressure so that the user receives the set pressure. So yes, the setting can affect the pressure that the user receives. Another setting that has the same type of effect is the hose type setting.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='PaytonA' pid='147288' dateline='1453396384']
The mask type tells the machine what pressure drop (or resistance) there is from the mask type which allows the machine to adjust the pressure so that the user receives the set pressure. So yes, the setting can affect the pressure that the user receives. Another setting that has the same type of effect is the hose type setting.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
[ yes, the setting can affect the pressure that the user receives.]

Thanks, PaytonA. I suspected as much.

This site is just full of smart people who make adjusting to Cpap so much easier. What a blessing!
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2016, 11:58 PM)Dreams of Green Wrote: I actually don't think the mask setting affects anything other than how the machine measures mask leaks, at least that seems to be the majority consensus. Although on this subject as well, I've found a few who say otherwise. It would be nice if the manuals were clear on this.

That is not accurate.. Payton explains why very well in the post above, so I won't repeat his post.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 100 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,229 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,874 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 342 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.