Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

STRONG pressure with dreamware nasal mask
RE: STRONG pressure with dreamware nasal mask
(01-21-2016, 12:47 PM)Possum Wrote:
(01-20-2016, 11:58 PM)Dreams of Green Wrote: I actually don't think the mask setting affects anything other than how the machine measures mask leaks, at least that seems to be the majority consensus. Although on this subject as well, I've found a few who say otherwise. It would be nice if the manuals were clear on this.

That is not accurate.. Payton explains why very well in the post above, so I won't repeat his post.

I'm going to change my position from "I don't think" to "I don't know and you may well be right" Smile. I've read several long threads on the subject, this one from the other forum discusses it in some detail, including links to other discussions about it. (Edit: link removed, I guess it's not allowed to link to the other forum)

There are also threads here where it's maintained that the mask settings don't affect pressure such as this one.

So I've never been able to come to a definitive conclusion, but I'm leaning towards yours. I do think the difference between nasal and pillows would be minor at best. Subjectively I cannot detect a difference when switching back and forth between the two in real time.

Post Reply Post Reply
After using mine for a few weeks, I came to the conclusion it doesn't vent well. Or at least it doesn't vent like I'm accustomed to on the other five or six types of masks I've used.

I opened up the mask vent a bit more for this reason. Also because it has two vents, and I figured if the upper vent is doing half the work, then some portion of my exhalation is backing up in the side tubes instead of going out the mask vent.

It was much easier to breathe, and much more comfortable overall.

But the noise was really bad. A constant whistle, that varied in frequency depending on exhale or inhale. Loud enough to wake me up from time to time.

I gave it a couple of nights with the noise. Then I reverted back to my P10 with the mesh vent.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2016, 09:54 AM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote: After using mine for a few weeks, I came to the conclusion it doesn't vent well. Or at least it doesn't vent like I'm accustomed to on the other five or six types of masks I've used.

I opened up the mask vent a bit more for this reason. Also because it has two vents, and I figured if the upper vent is doing half the work, then some portion of my exhalation is backing up in the side tubes instead of going out the mask vent.

But the noise was really bad. A constant whistle, that varied in frequency depending on exhale or inhale. Loud enough to wake me up from time to time.

I gave it a couple of nights with the noise. Then I reverted back to my P10 with the mesh vent.

Hi worn_out,
I did the same as you. I played with that mask for a couple weeks. I never could get a seal. When I turned from side to side, it moved too with a loud whoosh and that would wake me up. Then I'd have to readjust only to have it happen several times during the night. Not a receipe for a good nights sleep.

I do think if you sleep entirely on your back, it's a great option. But on your side, not so much. Sad

I wasn't impressed with the venting either, and it was loud.

The only positive I found was the fact it just rests just under your nose and seemed comfy, if only I could get it to stay there.

Went back to my P10. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2016, 10:16 AM)OpalRose Wrote:
(01-22-2016, 09:54 AM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote: After using mine for a few weeks, I came to the conclusion it doesn't vent well. Or at least it doesn't vent like I'm accustomed to on the other five or six types of masks I've used.

Hi worn_out,
I did the same as you. I played with that mask for a couple weeks. I never could get a seal. When I turned from side to side, it moved too with a loud whoosh and that would wake me up. Then I'd have to readjust only to have it happen several times during the night. Not a receipe for a good nights sleep.

I do think if you sleep entirely on your back, it's a great option. But on your side, not so much. Sad

I wasn't impressed with the venting either, and it was loud.

The only positive I found was the fact it just rests just under your nose and seemed comfy, if only I could get it to stay there.

Went back to my P10. Smile

My experience was the same as Opal Rose although I'm keeping it as a backup. Back to the reliable P10. Resistance is futile.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm the opposite, I used to have the P10 and as good a mask as it was, would never go back to a hose hanging off my face or something sticking up my nose. I'm also a side sleeper, no issues there at all.

I certainly understand the noise complaints although as discussed in other threads, that can be entirely eliminated by re-positioning your sheets or pillow or whatever the mask is interacting with, it's not the mask itself from which the sound is coming. Still a totally legitimate complaint, but potential and current users should be aware it can be eliminated.

Post Reply Post Reply
Mine was quiet until I slightly opened up the front vent so I could breathe... Smile Then it started whistling. I tried stuffing some cloth in it, which quieted it back down, but also restricted it again.

Putting the Ruby over the top of the mask (instead of under) kept it in place when turning from side to side. Before I would wake up to leaks and have to readjust. After, I slept right through.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2016, 12:03 PM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote: Mine was quiet until I slightly opened up the front vent so I could breathe... Smile
If you're opening up the mask such that your causing a substantial change in pressure, aren't you sort of defeating the purpose of cpap :-)?

Post Reply Post Reply
I was working with a borrowed mirage mask & borrowed Respironics Pro while my DME worked out insurance issues. Yesterday they delivered my brand new AirSense 10 Autosense, and a Respironics DreamWear mask. I was pumped! I worried a bit about the pressure, as I had been at a static 10 and the new system is set to 5-20, but I figured that's what the Dr. ordered so that's what I'd use.

I love the DreamWear mask over the Mirage nasal mask because it's so much less contraption on my head. Yes, it moved a bit a couple of times last night. But one of those was because I was face down in my pillow, something I never could have done with the Mirage.

But I digress... Yes. I found that the pressure 'felt' much higher than with the nasal mask, even when the actual pressure was lower than the static 10 I was used to. Thanks Dreams of Green for the suggestion of adjusting the EPR. I too had been contemplating reducing the pressure (at least the upper end), but was hesitating pending more information.

The only other thing I noted was an enormous spike in CA events, heavily clustered in two groups (though not near the outer ends of the session). I think those are more related to the difference in pressures & algorithms than the mask though.

Blessings,

Bill Fry.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2016, 04:53 PM)bfry Wrote: I was working with a borrowed mirage mask & borrowed Respironics Pro while my DME worked out insurance issues. Yesterday they delivered my brand new AirSense 10 Autosense, and a Respironics DreamWear mask. I was pumped! I worried a bit about the pressure, as I had been at a static 10 and the new system is set to 5-20, but I figured that's what the Dr. ordered so that's what I'd use.
Did they do a titration study (observe you sleeping with a cpap)? I've noticed people with 5 - 20 settings, my uneducated guess is that's a wide range from near minimum (4 is the lowest possible) to maximum that some doctors go with. You probably already know this, but the machine should never go higher than you need, so you may never even approach that 20 number. That's one of the many things you'll be able to look at using Sleephead software with your machine, you'll be able to see maximum pressure on any given night.
Quote:I love the DreamWear mask over the Mirage nasal mask because it's so much less contraption on my head. Yes, it moved a bit a couple of times last night. But one of those was because I was face down in my pillow, something I never could have done with the Mirage.
Yes, "love" is not too strong of a word for how I feel about this mask, it literally helped me to be successful with cpap. Not that i wouldn't have been successful without it, I was determined, but for me it was a game changer.
Quote:But I digress... Yes. I found that the pressure 'felt' much higher than with the nasal mask..
My personal experience is that pillow types masks (and hybrids such as the Dreamware) subjectively seem to have higher pressure than nasal masks. Others may feel differently. I have a Mirage softgel nasal mask and found it easier to exhale against than both the Airfit P10 and the Dreamware. But that was the ONLY positive and prefer the P10 and Dreamware in every other way.
Quote:even when the actual pressure was lower than the static 10 I was used to. Thanks Dreams of Green for the suggestion of adjusting the EPR. I too had been contemplating reducing the pressure (at least the upper end), but was hesitating pending more information.
That's the beauty of EPR, you can stay at your optimum pressure, yet gain some relief from the pressure upon exhaling. Just FYI what an EPR of 3 means is exhale pressure is 3 less than the primary inhale pressure. So with EPR set to 3, if inhale is 7 (which is what your machine would display as the current pressure), exhale is 4. Conversely if inhale is 10, exhale would be 7. And so on. In other words, as your machine increases pressure on an as needed basis, the exhale pressure will always be 3 less than whatever the inhale pressure is.

EPR relief only fully kicks in (with the 3 CM differential) when you hit a pressure of 7, because they don't ever want anyone to have an exhale pressure of less than 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2016, 03:58 PM)Dreams of Green Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 12:03 PM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote: Mine was quiet until I slightly opened up the front vent so I could breathe... Smile
If you're opening up the mask such that your causing a substantial change in pressure, aren't you sort of defeating the purpose of cpap :-)?

It wasn't that the pressure was too high (or I would have just lowered the pressure). The vent was too restricted, and I was overpressurizing (and/or backfeeding air into the tubing) when exhaling.

It was along the lines of going from a razor slit, to the size of a buckle hole in a belt. It's a controlled leak, like the normal sized vents on any other mask. It just allows exhaled air to escape more easily.

My machine still maintains pressure (with a bit more volume of air) but I can exhale without feeling like I'm trying to blow up a balloon.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 524 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,226 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,866 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 342 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.