Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Saddened by my lack of progress with reading OSCAR
Sad 
Saddened by my lack of progress with reading OSCAR
I am so impressed with the skill of the OSCAR gurus here.

Why you even have helped me transition to OSCAR from SleepyHead.

I can post screenshots when I don't understand what's happening.

What's missing is I don't have the skill to see what OSCAR is reporting.

I would really like to learn how to do that.

I've searched but I'm not moving ahead.

DaveL
Toronto
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Saddened by my lack of progress with reading OSCAR
Dave, this is a work in progress, it is not ready to go mainstream yet. It will be a long slow road as I add this and that to this wiki article. But it should help.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Gideon.

I feel I've been very demanding here. But after all I've been compliant since i was diagnosed with Severe Sleep Apnea over 30 years ago. My own baggage -- I was ridiculed on another forum when I proved my ignorance there. I left.
My sleep-doc-from-h_ll had me convinced that changing my pressure was "practicing medicine without a license." My DME provider was a source of stress.

Fast forward--end of august I bought the apap I have now. I set it up following suggestions here. When I feel I've had a terrible period of days or weeks I check with OSCAR. The feelings then are like when I left the other forum.

I truly appreciate your link. I'll go there and do some learnin'.

I'm embarrassed with the size of my file as I learned and asked for help. I recently junked all the screenshots to lighten the memory load here. (after a warning from a monitor for replying with a quote.) However, when I've posted and needed help I feel I've scared the helpers away.

I really care that new people and old ones do better than I have.

Thanks again.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, you're open to learning new things, you're humble about what you don't know, and you're actually willing to take specific action when it needs to be done.   Personally, I wish every forum member were like that.  You'd be surprised how some members think they know it all, refuse to listen to other people's advice, and in spite of several people recommending a course of action, they don't change a thing.  You're not like that at all.

Keep at it and don't quit.  If you can learn, and then "pay it forward" eventually by helping others, that would be super.  But don't get down on yourself for not immediately grasping everything around here.  It takes a long time, and none of us  have "arrived" at some sort of "guru" level where we can't learn something new.

Don't get discouraged.  You're among friends here.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks SuperSleeper.
That helps.

Back in the early seventies I was doing construction admin as a consultant at a children's hospital under construction. I verified medical gases amongst other things. I as a brand new, baby engineer. I got my P. Eng. shortly after that. Make a mistake there and people die.

Back then my Father was a noisy sleeper. He was never diagnosed with OSA. I don't think it was invented then...sure as be-darned he had OSA. he passed at 76 His Father at 72? I'm almost 75 now. Don't know when my contract runs out. None of us do.

I've lived with pandemics all my life. My Father's Mother passed with Spanish Flu. I'm grateful every day when I wake up and turn my machine off.

I think there's a place here for someone who's done their dues and is still struggling. And if I can help someone be successful I'll be very proud. I don't know how I survived my first day on cpap. On bad days I figure OSA is a manufactured disease. Just a way to make money. Then I kick myself in the --- and give myself a talking to. And remember the good days. I save those memories in a special spot and pull them out when I need them.

74-1/2; still working as a P. Eng.

"Keep at it and don't quit. If you can learn, and then "pay it forward" eventually by helping others, that would be super. But don't get down on yourself for not immediately grasping everything around here. It takes a long time, and none of us have "arrived" at some sort of "guru" level where we can't learn something new.

Don't get discouraged. You're among friends here.

Coffee"

Thanks that helped.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
It's perfectly fine and OK that you don't know it all, chart reading or otherwise. I don't know all of it either. But on the flip side, you also don't know nothing. You're somewhere in the middle between know nothing and know it all. Then you know that you don't know it all, which keeps you grounded and normal. If you get to the place where you think you know it all, someone that knows more will show you not to know all things. And to top it all off, sometimes it's not easy being Dave.

To Dave from Dave.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The art of being Dave is quite a high art indeed.

You know more than you give yourself credit for. Your questions offer an opportunity for others to learn and can contribute as much as an answer. If no one asked the questions, or that experienced problems in therapy they couldn't explain, there wouldn't be much for people with answers to do, or any reason for the forum to exist.

Please realize that you are a valued member here. Your posts, questions and images are part of what makes this place a resource, even for those who only lurk. Your questions represent more than just your personal interests or solutions, which is why we are sticklers for keeping questions on the forum, rather than in PMs. You are given an allotment of space for attachments and you are welcome to use it for anything that supports sleep apnea therapy, and related topics. That space was provided so that members could keep their content intact without worrying about a third party suddenly changing policies or charging fees to host images. The images support the questions and answers on the forum and we do not want you to remove them to help make space. Far better to drop a small donation if you want to help, than to remove your content. Again, this information is not just for you Dave, but anyone that reads this and wonders, if they should delete images to help out. Don't worry, we got this!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to both of you.

My space for screenshots was almost full. Now there's room for future. Wink

I was a darn good ski instructor for 35 years. Taught over 5,000 people how to ski. Including some that became world class instructors and racers. I taught 6 days a week, mainly nights. Part time job.

Dave don't worry about me becoming a know-it-all.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
We're good and grounded too. I have a feeling it's have been a ski instructor challenged student.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What I learned teaching skiing.

Everyone has fears.
Everyone has goals.
Teaching a ski lesson wasn't about me; it was about fulfilling someone's goals and being safe doing it. No accidents with over 5,000 people taught. And they had fun.

Only way to learn about fears and goals was to learn how to listen.

I also taught with Ontario Track III. Students had disabilities. Some adult skiers with OT III were quadriplegic and used a sit-ski rig. I never road in that. I was too afraid...And I taught them how to teach their instructors how to teach how to ski for a number of years. My mentor ran OT III He taught me so much, as the students there did too. He now is in a long term care place with dementia. Bless him. He did so much good. He also was a world class sailor. He coached the Canadian team in their attempt to sail in America's Cup some long time ago.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 133 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,462 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Help reading OSCAR data JenniferJuniper 20 988 03-08-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
  Help with reading OSCAR and adjusting settings deirdrepen 2 237 01-24-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: deirdrepen
  Help reading Oscar Charts Wisurid 3 384 12-25-2023, 05:26 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 478 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Would like some help reading my OSCAR data dynamo 13 668 12-08-2023, 11:38 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.