Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Saline in humidifier
RE: Saline in humidifier
I don't see any particular benefit to salt water, but the risks aren't too great, if you're careful. In theory, the salt should stay in the tank unless you're making a spray, which isn't supposed to happen, but seems to happen some of the time.

If you do put salt into the water tank, you mostly risk damage to the water tank, the hose, the mask, and the user, all of which are reasonably easy to replace.

If water leaks out of the tank, you risk damage to the humidifier. If you turn the machine over or spill the solution, you could damage the blower. Salt water is probably more hazardous to the equipment than normal water. Salt water might tend to eat up the metal or plastic seals, making a leak more likely.

If you add salt, it will concentrate as the water evaporates. Either dump the tank every time before refilling, or only add distilled water.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2014, 11:56 AM)archangle Wrote: If you do put salt into the water tank, you mostly risk damage to the water tank, the hose, the mask, and the user, all of which are reasonably easy to replace.

The user? I'd like to think that I'm not so easily replaceable. Laugh-a-lot

I think I'll pass on the experiment.
Before APAP: [Image: DARTH-VADER_zpsa57946df.png]

After APAP: See avatar: R2D2 for the win!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle"
--Ian Maclaren

I don't snore! I just make creepy noises so the aliens know I'm not someone to be messed with.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use colloidial silver in my water tank when I get a sinus infection but PLEASE DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! I am not advocating for anyone else to use it, but I've found that it helps clear up the infection much faster than a round of antibiotics and I generally only run it a night or two (dilluted with distilled water about 3:1). Colloidal silver is often used with a nebulizer and I've found it works just as well with the humidifier.

I also use Neilmed saline with their bottle system as a sinus rinse. It is a MARVELOUS product that really helps during seasonal allergy season.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2014, 09:41 AM)glfredrick Wrote: I use colloidial silver in my water tank when I get a sinus infection but PLEASE DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! I am not advocating for anyone else to use it, but I've found that it helps clear up the infection much faster than a round of antibiotics and I generally only run it a night or two (dilluted with distilled water about 3:1). Colloidal silver is often used with a nebulizer and I've found it works just as well with the humidifier.

I'll probably skip it . . .

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2014, 09:56 AM)tcarmen Wrote:
(06-10-2014, 09:41 AM)glfredrick Wrote: I use colloidial silver in my water tank when I get a sinus infection but PLEASE DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! I am not advocating for anyone else to use it, but I've found that it helps clear up the infection much faster than a round of antibiotics and I generally only run it a night or two (dilluted with distilled water about 3:1). Colloidal silver is often used with a nebulizer and I've found it works just as well with the humidifier.

I'll probably skip it . . .

That is fine... Like I said above, I'd never diagnose someone from afar nor offer advice as to what THEY should use.

But, a few tidbits about colloidial silver might be useful. Before antibiotics, it was the treatment of choice for infections. It is still used for burn victims in paste form and we use silver nitrate on newborn infants' eyes.

Silver has noted antimicrobial properties and these days it can be found in everything from underwear to socks to washcloths.

Here is a wiki link to medical uses of silver:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_uses_of_silver

Some do worry about "turning blue" and that CAN happen, but one would generally have to drink a silver solution every day for years to even come close to that problem.

It DOES work to clear up MY sinus infections faster than antibiotics.
Post Reply Post Reply
Colloidial silver is usually considered to be quackery.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2014, 12:14 AM)archangle Wrote: Colloidial silver is usually considered to be quackery.

So too the illegal duck smuggling trade.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been noticing that I have been getting stuffed up at night time as well.
In my case i have never been allergic to anything, at least that I am aware of but I had been wondering why I was getting this at all but reading here I see this is more common than I was aware of...

Quote:I put a small amount of eucalyptus oil on a tissue near the machine's air inlet. That helps keep things clear.

So if I were to do this, I am trying to imagine on a S9 Autoset where exactlyone would place this tissue? Near the filter?

Quote: Filling my humidifier tank with distilled water and setting the pressure at 4 cm H2O (flow rate of around 20 liters per minute) revealed that my system was basically free of contamination. I then added a little salt to some water and put that water into the humidifier tank. When I measured the condensate water from the machine at a pressure of 4 cm H2O, there was basically no contamination, however, when I increased the pressure to 10 cm H2O (with a flow rate of around 33 liters per minute), salt contamination was observed in the collected condensate.

Do people actually have time to do such experiments? Smile
I for one have just enough time to pull out the machines SD card, install it into my laptops and record the nights events before......

Quote:I also use Neilmed saline with their bottle system as a sinus rinse. It is a MARVELOUS product that really helps during seasonal allergy season.

As I said, I don't have allergies so I am not familiar with what products are out there but if this will help stuffy noses, I will buy some---good to know about it
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2014, 10:38 AM)retired_guy Wrote:
(06-15-2014, 12:14 AM)archangle Wrote: Colloidial silver is usually considered to be quackery.

So too the illegal duck smuggling trade.

I guess we had better quit taping up all of those miserable ducks.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2014, 11:37 AM)ShelaghDB Wrote:
Quote:I put a small amount of eucalyptus oil on a tissue near the machine's air inlet. That helps keep things clear.

So if I were to do this, I am trying to imagine on a S9 Autoset where exactlyone would place this tissue? Near the filter?

Yes, I just put it on the shelf next to the filter. Fold the tissue over a few times so it make a tight wad, add some eucalyptus and you're good to go.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 759 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 352 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,160 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 319 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 786 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 514 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.