Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sanitize CPAP
RE: Sanitize CPAP
Well......we all gotta go sometime. I suppose it's just a matter of how we choose. If we're that lucky.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2019, 12:36 PM)Melman Wrote: As a microbiologist who has worked both in medical microbiology and sterile pharmaceutical manufacturing I can assure you that sanitizing agents such as ozone,  UV light, and strong chemicals are not necessary for mainlining your CPAP components in a sufficiently sanitary condition to not be a source of infection. Simple cleaning with warm water and a mild detergent is all that is routinely necessary. Occasionally a slimy biofilm may  develop in the humidifier tank if it is not cleaned frequently. It can be removed by normal cleaning with mild detergent followed by a rinse with a mild sanitizer such as drugstore hydrogen peroxide.

Personally, I clean less frequently than many. I can't remember when I last cleaned my hose. I simply inspect it against bright light every week to 10 days for any signs of mold or any type of build up that could harbor bacterial growth. I never see anything which does not surprise me since it is only exposed to filtered room air. My only concern is that residual moisture from the humidifier may promote the growth of mold but have never seen it. I use a heated hose. If I were using a standard hose and had any residual water in the hose I would probably rinse it with mild detergent at some regular interval.

I use distilled water to avoid mineral build up due to hard water. I just top off the water daily and completely drain and wash the reservoir every week to 10 days. I occasionally see a little residue but not always. I have only seen a a small colony of mold once in the last year which I removed with a peroxide soaked Q tip. It has not reappeared. (Don't assume distilled water is sterile or contains fewer bacteria than tap water. I'm not suggesting that everyone use it.) I rarely wash my mask frame. I may wash the cushions every few days with mild detergent. I wipe the cushions daily with Pampers Natural Clean baby wiped to remove facial oils. They are much cheaper than CPAP wipes and contain no harsh chemicals.

Some may need to clean more frequently depending on the bacteria in their environment. For example, some have reported seeing pink slime in their reservoirs. This is due to a bacterium frequently encountered in industrial purified water systems. Although the organism is not usually pathogenic it should be removed. A mild detergent wash and peroxide rinse should suffice.

I understand that many may feel uncomfortable with my apparently lax cleaning approach. Do what makes you feel comfortable.

Early in this thread someone mentioned filter changes. The inlet filter should be changed when it becomes dirty but be aware, it is to protect the machine, not the user. It is simply removing some of the airborne particles and bacteria in your room air which you inhale constantly while awake. Frequent changes of the  filter will do nothing to safeguard you health.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the filter in my ResMed AirSense AutoSet 10 is very easy to clean. Not sure of other CPAP filters though. 

It's quite durable as well. I'm not financially strapped, so it's not a money issue for me. I just can't see throwing something away when it has a very long service life and can be used over and over again with some simple cleaning.

The respiratory therapist at my DME supplier does it as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2019, 02:09 AM)Mindrasect Wrote: A few inquiries emerge: 

Why the sack - would they say they are to contain the ozone in a little zone? 

I forget which sanitizer uses the sack (Not SoClean) but when I reviewed their info I assumed it was to contain the ozone until it broke down.

Would cleaning hoses along these lines be risky for those with lung conditions? 

Ozone breaks down fairly quickly so a delay of several hours would be sufficient to eliminate any risk. Be aware, however, that ozone does not clean. it is only effective for sanitizing clean surfaces.

Does the ozone sterilizer have channels or carbon filtration that needs supplanting? 

SoClean uses a carbon filter that needs to be replaced; i believe every 6 months at a cost of about $30 each.

Anybody know anything about this or had a go at utilizing the hardware or device?

I've studied both ozone and UV sanitizers extensively and believe they are unnecessary and waste of money. I have a friend who uses So Clean and thinks it's great.

It occurred to me that none of us responded to the original questions. See my answers above.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2019, 02:09 AM)Mindrasect Wrote: Hello everyone I am new here and having been worried about utilizing covers and hoses over a broad period I have been searching for a strategy for cleaning ceased hoses as substitutions are not accessible that fit whatever is left of my unit. Taken a gander at ultrasonic cleaners however found those sufficiently vast to take the hoses and cover were over the top expensive. Have attempted sterilizer and figured out how to harm a fundamental hose connector. Presently I am thinking about an ozone sterilizer having found out about the Guardian packs as they would twofold to give my CPAP machine a standard (yearly?) clean. 

A few inquiries emerge: 

Does the ozone sterilizer have channels or carbon filtration that needs supplanting? 

Anybody know anything about this or had a go at utilizing the hardware or device?

Please, just save your money and go have a nice dinner...on us?

Psychologists talk about 'face validity'.  It's the case where something sounds novel, plausible, and sufficiently arcane that it must offer something good you've never heard of previously.  I'll bet that's the case with you....right?  Oooooo...oooooozzzoooooooonnnne!  I'm not poking fun, but mimicking what we do to ourselves in our minds when we begin the journey of convincing ourselves to part with money.

I am now all of 13 months into my own PAP therapy.  In my 66 years I have done a lot of learning.  I've learned, among other things, that those who market a product must be good at it if they hope to make a buck.  YOUR buck.  Or mine.  They know they can hook people with uncommon language and terms, and even with the form factor (shape and appearance) of an item to make it appealing.  Ozonators have been around for donkeys' years.  They are sold as a way to improve the smells in older homes, or homes recovering from a minor fire.  They do actually work reasonably well that way.  But, as mentioned previously, ozone is highly reactive.  It destroys plastics.  What does the insulation around all our exposed household appliances' wiring consist of?  How about the plastic coverings of wall switches?  How about varnishes and paints on our furniture and walls? All organic materials react to ozone.  It comes naturally every time you unplug an appliance....there's a spark, if only briefly.  That arc creates ozone.

In all sincerity, I am still using my first mask and pillow.  I only rinse my hose about once every two weeks using a common sanitizer called potassium metabisulphite.  Its the white powder you dissolve in water and with which you rinse wine bottles, brushes, and caps when making home brew.  Most of us simply rinse the interior of the hose, and our cushions, with a liquid dish detergent.  Doesn't make a lick of difference which one...go cheap.  Rinse, hang your hose over a hook, or if over a shower curtain rod, make sure you close the lid on your toilet every time you flush!  That beast produces droplets that include stuff you'd rather not know about.

Order a nice fillet of salmon at the restaurant.  And a nice bottle of wine.  Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it already time for my quinquennal or sexennial mask/hose washing?
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2019, 01:31 PM)Melman Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 02:09 AM)Mindrasect Wrote: A few inquiries emerge: 

I forget which sanitizer uses the sack (Not SoClean) but when I reviewed their info I assumed it was to contain the ozone until it broke down.

Ozone breaks down fairly quickly so a delay of several hours would be sufficient to eliminate any risk. Be aware, however, that ozone does not clean. it is only effective for sanitizing clean surfaces.

SoClean uses a carbon filter that needs to be replaced; i believe every 6 months at a cost of about $30 each.

I've studied both ozone and UV sanitizers extensively and believe they are unnecessary and waste of money. I have a friend who uses So Clean and thinks it's great.

It occurred to me that none of us responded to the original questions. See my answers above
Thanks for your response.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2019, 12:36 PM)Melman Wrote: Early in this thread someone mentioned filter changes. The inlet filter should be changed when it becomes dirty but be aware, it is to protect the machine, not the user. It is simply removing some of the airborne particles and bacteria in your room air which you inhale constantly while awake. Frequent changes of the  filter will do nothing to safeguard you health.

I think we established the term "hypoallergenic" WRT those filters is a marketing term that means that you are not likely allergic to the filters, not that they filter out allergens, much less smaller nasties like the epizootic.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2019, 12:49 PM)Big Guy Wrote: Well......we all gotta go sometime. I suppose it's just a matter of how we choose. If we're that lucky.  Cool

And if we are real lucky and die of some never before disease, they may name it after us.  Too-funny
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2019, 12:36 PM)Melman Wrote: As a microbiologist who has worked both in medical microbiology and sterile pharmaceutical manufacturing I can assure you that sanitizing agents such as ozone,  UV light, and strong chemicals are not necessary for mainlining your CPAP components in a sufficiently sanitary condition to not be a source of infection. 

I would like to call on your expertise in this area to give myself more ammunition to respond to the many SoClean fanbois that I encounter.

From some of the things that I've read, the amount ozone administered in the SoClean sanitizing process is hardly enough to effectively do what their claim is. In addition, I believe the amount of time required to effectively sanitize our equipment is much longer than this machine suggests. 

I often get the argument that "Well if hospitals consider this an effective way to sanitize things, then it's good enough for me". Aren't the processes that hospitals use much more involved and complicated than just splashing a little ozone around?

Thanks.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
The TV commercials claim that it "Cleans" and "Sanitizes". I don't see how it can possibly clean.

Their literature posted here stated to "clean" before sanitizing in SoClean, their ads certainly imply that no cleaning is required.

My opinion is that while there is no need for this product if it makes you feel better mentally to spend a couple hundred and use this product then do so.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Easy Way to Clean/Sanitize Hose stanleydean 13 6,815 06-13-2016, 12:08 PM
Last Post: archangle

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.