Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sanitizer Machine
Sanitizer Machine
What is the best sanitizer machine and why?
We travel in a Motorcoach and sometimes thinking it would be better to have the machine.!Thanks in advance!
Judy
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sanitizer Machine
Dawn Dish washing soap. No external power needed.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
You can buy a whole lot of Dawn dish soap for the price of a sanitizer.  Bigwink

And, you'll get everything a lot cleaner.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would add that there are many brands of liquid dish detergent ,not just "Dawn", that will clean your washable items quite well. The sanitizer devices don't actually clean anything. And I would caution that the interior of the CPAP machine should not be washed with anything. I am not a fan of any of the so-called sanitizer or cleaning machine.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd agree with all the above. Dawn seems to come to this user's mind readily, but I suppose you're not necessarily brand limited when it comes to CPAP cleaning. Dawn or other dish soap and warm water is pretty much all that's needed. Maybe, if you use hard tap water, you may have to scrub out the bottom of your humidifier tub. Beyond that, you're good to go IMO.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Go thru a normal cleaning of your CPAP, mild dishwasher detergent, then rinse thoroughly and let dry, Be sure to brush your tube out, then rinse and let dry.   This is all that is needed, but if it makes you feel better then follow up with a sanitizer machine for peace of mind.
Post Reply Post Reply
The commercially available sanitizing machines doe not clean and are only effective on clean surfaces. So cleaning with mild detergent is required for them to be effective. Cleaning with mild detergent will both remove and kill bacteria.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't use actual soap due to the smell. No matter how much I rinse, I still smell it. It's the alien genetics.

I use a mild vinegar/water solution and soak for a bit, rinse well, and done. And no, I don't smell the vinegar. And yeah, I'm weird.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think the reason people recommend Dawn is (no, not product placement) that it doesn't leave residues. I started out using a couple of other brands of liquid dish detergent that I happened to have already, but even after thorough rinsing, they left traces of white powder on the nosepiece of my mask after it had dried. So I've been using Dawn instead, and it solves that. I assume there are other brands that would work just as well, and so would liquid soap.

Sanitizing machines are a complete boondoggle.

("Boondoggle" would be a good name for a dog.)
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a bar of plain old Ivory soap. Each morning I get my hands soapy and use them to clean all surfaces of my nasal pillows. For the rest (hoses, humidifier, etc) I repeatedly soap my hands under the hottest water I can stand, catch the result in a large pot and soak everything for a few minutes. Scrub everything with my fingers/hands and then rinse.

No odor than I can detect and Ivory soap is cheap...one bar lasts for weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,572 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Post COVID Sanitizer B1Sailor 3 606 02-15-2023, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,876 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,346 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Motif Clean-Z CPAP Ozone Sanitizer SueAnn 9 1,282 11-28-2020, 08:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Is SoClean2 an effective sanitizer ? Eurika 73 17,566 11-30-2019, 08:23 PM
Last Post: Zorki1c
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,800 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.