Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sanitizing Solution?
Sanitizing Solution?
Hi Folks,

As a home brewer I use a food grade sanitizing solution to keep my brewing equipment and bottles from being infected by foreign bacteria and fungi as my beer ferments and then sits in the bottle awaiting to be consumed. 

It occured to me that this would be a better approach to keeping my equipment clean. Does anyone on the board use sanitizing solution to keep their CPAP equipment clean? the brand of the sanitizer I use is Star San. It's nice for Homebrewing because it doesn't need to be rinsed after usage... 

I currently wash the hose, humidifier tank, and head piece in Dawn Dishwashing soap and rinse weekly. 

thoughts?

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sanitizing Solution?
I am a homebrewer. I just term-limited off the AHA Governing Committee so you know I am familiar with StarSan and other brewing solutions.
IMHO your cleaning routine is sufficient.  If you want to use StarSan, it is effective.  Be sure to thoroughly rinse afterward since it is not intended to be inhaled. Seriously it is not needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started a thread in 2015 on my use of StarSan. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...sinfection

It's a good idea and safe. Sleeprider tested and approved. Bonjour has access to better beer, so whatever he says.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using sodium or potassium metabisulphite for donkey's years for just 'bout everything.  I mean all the way from athlete's foot (just soak the affected area for six minutes to let the skin absorb some of the bisulphite) to cleaning surfaces, say around the bathroom sink, to sterilizing my mask and hose.  It's hard on the nose, but a great way to wake up if you're outta coffee.  Grin 

I think I paid maybe CDN$3 for about 200 grams of the metabisulphite at my local U-Brew-It, and expect that I'll get maybe six to ten years of use from that small package.

As grandma said, "Cheap, like borscht!"
Post Reply Post Reply
You can do that if you want. Is it required? Probably not. My parts cleaning includes a small amount of liquid dish soap, typically Dawn or equivalent, and very warm water and air dry.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with Dave! I do use Clorox anti-bacterial wipes on my mask / cushions as well. I do that about every other day.
Post Reply Post Reply
I appreciate everyone's comments... thanks.... i've been using Dawn since I started back in June but wanted to make sure.

thanks again,

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
IF you want to use the stuff on anything, I'd suggest the hose. It is the hardest to clean yet gets the most moisture. Rinse rinse rinse.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  [Diagnosis] Sleep Study and no solution? CChelios445 3 247 03-03-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Solution for the AirMini Travel Noise JimIve 33 27,091 10-17-2023, 07:41 AM
Last Post: tj1616
  Battery solution needed sumitsimlai 8 922 07-24-2023, 02:01 AM
Last Post: sumitsimlai
  Was there a solution for “Check Power?” Jeffo1 12 11,438 04-05-2023, 12:26 PM
Last Post: Thomas S
  Jolting awake with sharp inhale, a solution McPhearson99 0 568 04-03-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: McPhearson99
  sanitizing machines for CPAP machines milboltnut 25 2,726 09-22-2022, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Melman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.