Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I’ve been suffering and looking for an opinion
RE: I’ve been suffering and looking for an opinion
If you can go up to the next larger size cushion for your P10 it may help some. Beyond that, I don't think any other pillow or nasal mask is going to open your sinuses any better than the P10/P30i.

I use both Fluticasone and Capsinol Original Formula (capsaicin nasal spray!). Yes, the Capsinol has some burn, but that doesn't last very long, and it is very effective. Fluticasone (with XYZal and Singulair) helps, but for me it's just not enough.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2019, 02:30 AM)DarciWantsToSleep Wrote: hi there,

... My dust and grass allergies are at 1000% to the point that after an hour of sleeping,I choke then vomit. 

... Does anyone have any experience trying different masks with extreme congestion?  

Best,
Darci

Hi Darci, 

10 years ago we moved to an area of the country that is famous for its issues with allergies.  What a shock.  We tried many things including buying a not cheap air cleaners with HEPA filters for each room.  

An unexpected key learning from our experiments was this.  The smaller the filter and solution the least likely it will work, from both an effectiveness and cost efficiency standpoint. 

I do NOT recommend Hypo/HEPA filters for use on the machine itself:  I finally concluded that given the delicate nature of algorithm performance against sensors in the machine:
1) I would only buy the pricey genuine Hypo/HEPA filters from ResMed until a 3rd party emerged as truly well tested and validated.
2) Some folks post these filters work great.  Knowing something about resistance driven life decay/failure in electronic products and confirmed by some of the posts there is no getting around that by using a Hypo filter you are putting extra pressure on your machine's blower and surrounding parts and will shorten your machines life.   The noises, strains and pressures drops SOME people report on install of these filters validate the additional stress the filters add to the machine.     
3) Some people experience immediate performance issues when installing the filters (indicating a blower and/or blower ecosystem that is already weakened) so there is no guarantee the filters will actually work for you.  

I created two breadboard prototype designs for an aftermarket product to add a much larger MERV-13 / HEPA for the Xpap machines, add no more strain the the machine than the 'standard' filter and be plugin, require no modification the the machines. One of the two designs looks too industrial to me and the second keeps the same shape and general look of the xPAP but adds to the total size.  Most people want a smaller not larger XPAP.  If I could be convinced the market is big enough that second design could happen.  Price needs to be low so size of market / actual volume of sales needs to be large. How many people would pay $40 for the first go and $25 for four (a year's supply) of true HEPA + MERV-13 snap-on replacement filters that increase the physical size of the machine but introduce no risk to the algorithms or electronics of the xpap machines?

TLDR:  Allergic free air:  In the mean time, what has helped thus far. 

1.The simplest, not cheap but most cost effective method for the amount of air being kept clean was to replace the 1" furnace filters in the house with Merv 8-11 2"-4" Honeywell Aftermarket Replacement Filters

In two rooms I clean or change the furnace filter and the freestanding HEPA filters.  These Honeywell filters are capturing 20-50 times as much material as the freestanding filters.     

Wow, for us, problem solved.

This image shows how a 2-4" filter will sometimes fit into the space designed for just a 1" filter.    http://images.2-pack.org/merv-11-afterma...cement.jpg 

2.Set the furnace blower to run 24x7, 365 days a year.

3.We packed up some and move two of the freestanding MERV-13 HEPA filter units to sit right next to the source of allergens, one by the back door and one right next to the dogs bed.  

Notes:  
  • I use a mix of MERV 8 to MERV 11 filters to apply more filter where I need it (i.e. near the back door) without adding too much stress the blower in my furnace.
  • I avoid MERV 12 & 13 because that introduces too much stress the the furnace blower and the airflow capacity design to a furnace system that was not designed for a MERV 13.   
  • Before you buy make sure there is at least a 6" depth where you want to put a 4" filter.   If the space is tight and you can only add a 2" filter then MERV 8 is a better choice than MERV 11 for that location. 
  • Search to find where to buy, now made by a number of vendors   https://www.google.com/search?q=MERV+11+...ent+Filter   
Here's to clean air!

WillSleep

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
willsleep,

This is a wonderful post.
My furnace runs as you said.
My concern has been loose fitting furnace filters. If they are smaller than the gap provided to hold the filter and therefore fit loosely, then air bypasses the filter. Therefore the filter doesn't work.
There's a wide variance in filter thickness, even though the filter thickness is marked on the packaging.

I use the Honeywell filter you suggested. My local store stopped carrying them; I found them on that wonderful store in the sky. Result? They shipped an alternate filter by another supplier. It's not as good as the Honeywell filter. Sad
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dave. 

I too have seen some funky business with the quality of the 3rd party Honeywell Replacement style filters.   

Recently I was pleased with purchases of "Nordic Pure" and "Accumulair" from a well known on-line vendor.

WillSleep

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Second opinion on a sleep study spudhorse 18 962 01-09-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Watchpat suggests UARS after years of suffering. Narrow airway? Rebdr 4 714 10-16-2023, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Rebdr
  Can someone give an opinion on these results ? Gregsleep 11 818 09-20-2023, 11:18 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  CPAP & INTRAOCULAR PRESSURE - CONSENSUS OF OPINION MCS2014 5 1,146 07-31-2023, 01:18 PM
Last Post: EddyDee
  Suffering from Arousals. Potential unflagged obstructions? Norman2195 4 676 07-16-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  [Symptoms] New user suffering central apnea Minion Fred 1 454 07-14-2023, 06:45 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Second opinion - Central Apneas ? restless51 9 1,067 06-08-2023, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.