Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sanity check on next steps (still tired)
RE: Sanity check on next steps (still tired)
EPR helps with Aerophagia because higher EPR allows for a lower average pressure
Note: Higher EPR may also increase central events, turning EPR off should reduce Central events.

Set your max pressure to 9 to minimize pressure fluctuation which also may increase central events.

In the end you need to identify a balance between central and obstructive events.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2020, 09:59 AM)bonjour Wrote: EPR helps with Aerophagia because higher EPR allows for a lower average pressure
Note: Higher EPR may also increase central events, turning EPR off should reduce Central events.

Set your max pressure to 9 to minimize pressure fluctuation which also may increase central events.

In the end you need to identify a balance between central and obstructive events.

Thanks, I'll make this adjustment and see how it goes!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello fellow Canuck! I have nothing to add to Bonjour's comments. You are in good hands there. I just wanted to give you some encouragement. I too had to go through a period of adjustment and until things were tweaked (due to the help of Bonjour and others here when I first joined) and adjusted it took a little while. However, eventually my sleeps got better and though I don't expect to sleep like when I did in my teens or 20's since I am over 50 now I still get much better rest with my Resmed APAP than before I had it. Stick with it, it will get better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2020, 11:41 AM)Marillion Wrote: Hello fellow Canuck!  I have nothing to add to Bonjour's comments.  You are in good hands there.  I just wanted to give you some encouragement.  I too had to go through a period of adjustment and until things were tweaked (due to the help of Bonjour and others here when I first joined) and adjusted it took a little while.  However, eventually my sleeps got better and though I don't expect to sleep like when I did in my teens or 20's since I am over 50 now I still get much better rest with my Resmed APAP than before I had it.  Stick with it, it will get better.

Hey there! Thanks for the kind words! The good thing is that I'm trying something different, which is more than I've been doing. Thank you for the kind words!!

(08-12-2020, 09:59 AM)bonjour Wrote: EPR helps with Aerophagia because higher EPR allows for a lower average pressure

Slept on my back (didn't want to throw too many changes into the mix).

AHI is relatively unchanged. Central events are the big thing. When I was waking up, in that groggy/semi-conscious state, I found myself holding my breath for longer than I would expect, but it didn't seem to bother me... Not sure if that's just because I was thinking about CAs in the back of my mind.

Thanks again for taking the time to help!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I realize I set the max to 10... Do you think I should ramp it down to 9, then 8, see if it helps with the CAs?
Post Reply Post Reply
I think they want the pressure lower to see if your CA will go down, try 9-9.4 and see what happens for your comfort. CA can be associated with higher pressures.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2020, 04:18 PM)Canuck 2 Wrote: I think they want the pressure lower to see if your CA will go down, try 9-9.4 and see what happens for your comfort. CA can be associated with higher pressures.

Thanks for this. I thought dropping it from 16 to 10 would be good, given that I maxed out around 11 before... Perhaps it's still too high.

Given that the OA didn't shoot up, I suppose that I can just keep lowering the pressure little by little until the CAs fall, or the OAs go up without a reduction in CAs.

Out of curiosity - if I were making a trade between OA and CA, is one "worse" than the other? Either in terms of long-term physical impacts and/or impact on restfulness? For example, is there a difference between having 10 OAs and 5 CAs vs 5 OAs and 10 CAs, or is it irrelevant?
Post Reply Post Reply
It depends on the cause of the apnea. If the centrals are CO2 driven then, in general, obstructive is worse because there is a narrowing . If the centrals are Neuro muscular in origin you need to breathe, the centrals become far more important than the obstructive. If the obstructives are positional, and you are seeing clusters together the obstructives are more important because a small change will make a huge improvement.

It just depends on the individual
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2020, 04:54 PM)bonjour Wrote: It depends on the cause of the apnea. If the centrals are CO2 driven then, in general, obstructive is worse because there is a narrowing .  If the centrals are Neuro muscular in origin you need to breathe, the centrals become far more important than the obstructive. If the obstructives are positional, and you are seeing clusters together the obstructives are more important because a small change will make a huge improvement.

It just depends on the individual

Interesting! I'll have to take some time to look more into that. Thanks again for this and for all the advice. I've shifted the pressure down to 9 (from 10). Fingers crossed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2020, 06:51 AM)TSomm Wrote: When I was waking up, in that groggy/semi-conscious state, I found myself holding my breath for longer than I would expect, but it didn't seem to bother me...

When you think about centrals, keep in mind that awake breathing is much less regular than asleep breathing.  As you observed, when we're awake, or even just aroused to a half-awake state, we often pause between breaths.  If the pause is 10 or more seconds long, we get a CA flag.  In such a case, the problem isn't so much the CA as the fact that you were not entirely a sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still tired and CA events liebano 0 6 10 minutes ago
Last Post: liebano
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 1 60 3 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 194 Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Abhi
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 172 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,974 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 178 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 134 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.