Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Saving & Restoring Card to unit
Saving & Restoring Card to unit
I'm using the Phillips PR System One machine, I got it from the Veterans Clinic. They changed my setting (sent my card back with an Auto set). I've tried it for awhile but had less problems the old way. The new auto setting gets too much pressure after it ramps and I have several mask blow outs during the night.

I have a card reading adapter that I can save the card's contents to my laptop via usb cable. What I would like to do is save the card's contents, and then set the machine back to the old pressure with steady (non auto) air and a less aggressive ramp.

My question is: If I ever want to reset my CPAC like the Veterans had it, will simply reloading the card from the laptop and putting the card back in the machine do that ??

Or is there more to restoring settings than simply plugging in the card ??

Best I remember when I received the card in the mail I just stuck it in the machine and that's all I did and the new settings were in place.

Appreciate any input on this.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Saving & Restoring Card to unit
There is nothing special to do.

Do you know how to get into clinicians menu to change settings? Order your manual here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

The cpap retains all the information and any changes you make. When you put your SD card into the cpap, it will write everything onto the SD card.

You may want to consider downloading the SleepyHead software.
http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./

This way when you put your SD card into the computer, you can download to the software program and all your information will be there.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2016, 03:59 PM)OpalRose Wrote: There is nothing special to do.

Do you know how to get into clinicians menu to change settings? Order your manual here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

I think so, it's been awhile since I played with it, but I think I can get into the clinical menu. I may just leave it on Auto and lower the maximum pressure some so my mask doesn't blow out as much.

(09-03-2016, 03:59 PM)OpalRose Wrote: The cpap retains all the information and any changes you make. When you put your SD card into the cpap, it will write everything onto the SD card.

Ok, but just to make your our words are meaning the same thing here, when I put the card into the CPAP, the CPAP then reads and writes the settings stored on the card to the CPAP settings correct ?? (i.e. what's on the card when inserted overwrites what's in the CPAC settings, correct ?)

However I do understand that the CPAP also stores sleep data back to the card also. Please correct me where I might be missing something.

(09-03-2016, 03:59 PM)OpalRose Wrote: You may want to consider downloading the SleepyHead software.
http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./

This way when you put your SD card into the computer, you can download to the software program and all your information will be there.

Thanks I will try that, I surmise once I transfer the card's contents to the laptop I then open that saved file (of whatever extension) from inside the SleepyHead app (?)

Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, don't want to make this sound harder than it is. Believe me, I'm not a computer wiz, and I'm not sure how other brand cpaps work, but with the System One, it fairly simple.

Lets say you don't have an SD card in your machine, and you have been using it for a couple days, then insert an SD card in the cpap. The cpap has all the data stored and will write to the SD card.

If you make setting changes on the cpap, then it will write those changes onto the card for the day you made those changes. All previous information will still be on the SD card for days before the changes. Nothing is lost.

When looking at SleepyHead data, you can see any changes you made to the machine and what day you made the changes, plus so much more. You can track you AHI, and breakdown of AHI, such as Obstructive events, Hypopneas, and Clear Airways, and leak information, and more.

Any changes you make aren't on the card itself, but on the Cpap.
The Cpap writes to the card.

OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2016, 05:20 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Ok, don't want to make this sound harder than it is. Believe me, I'm not a computer wiz, and I'm not sure how other brand cpaps work, but with the System One, it fairly simple.

Lets say you don't have an SD card in your machine, and you have been using it for a couple days, then insert an SD card in the cpap. The cpap has all the data stored and will write to the SD card.

If you make setting changes on the cpap, then it will write those changes onto the card for the day you made those changes. All previous information will still be on the SD card for days before the changes. Nothing is lost.

When looking at SleepyHead data, you can see any changes you made to the machine and what day you made the changes, plus so much more. You can track you AHI, and breakdown of AHI, such as Obstructive events, Hypopneas, and Clear Airways, and leak information, and more.

Any changes you make aren't on the card itself, but on the Cpap.
The Cpap writes to the card.

Uh Ok, well that kinda confuses me cause awhile back the Vet clinic had me remove the card and mail it to them. Bout a month later they sent the card back to me with a letter stating they had new settings on it and to put it back in the unit. So I plugged it into my unit and it did output a new setup. And this new setup doesn't work as well for me.
My unit is the Phillips Respironics 60 Series
Model number is, DS560
Model Name is,
60 Series REMstar Auto
---
If you look on my actual unit on the bottom
it says,
REMstar Auto, DOM
REF 560P
SN P124232253801
---
On the top of my unit it says,
REMstar Auto A-Flex
System One
--------------
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, we are using the same apap, but I've never had to send my SD card into my DME. They really didn't care whether I changed settings.

A couple questions....are you renting this machine from the veterans clinic, or is insurance/Medicare paying. Do you have to show compliance? Compliance has to do with usage, not changing your pressure settings.

I ask because they should not care if you change your own settings. If the auto mode does not work for you, then just change it back to Cpap mode and let them know.

Whatever changes you make on the Cpap, then those changes will write back to the SD card.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
As OpalRose says, the machine writes to the SD card. However, there are settings files on the SD card which can be modified by software that can read and write those files. When you insert the card into the machine it checks to see if the settings files have been updated and if so will update the machine settings from the SD card.

I can't be specific about the System One as I use a Resmed machine. However there is a lot of data stored on the cards and in my case there is well over a thousand files. About 40 of these are settings files.

Again as OpalRose says, the simplest way to change your settings is to use the clinicians menu. Changing your settings on the machine will then update settings on the card. If you want to return the settings to what was set by the Veterans Clinic then you can simply do that via the clinicians menu. Be aware though that unless you go to a lot of trouble you won't be able to disguise the changes. Firstly, the card will probably retain a history of settings changes (the Resmed certainly does). Secondly, the daily data will clearly show in both summary and detail form what the settings were.

Downloading and using the Sleepyhead software will give you a much better idea of what's going on with your therapy and also let you see just how much and what data is stored on the card.

Hope this resolves your 'confusion' and doesn't add to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I will answer your questions, but wanted to let you know the data I found on this forum and (both of you) your replies have helped me a great deal regardless of my confusion. My unit is one of the ones that the manual has to be emailed and it's a weekend plus I don't know if my ISP email server will even let me receive a file that large. Will just have to see on that come Monday.

However I found a youtube video of how to get into the clinical setup for this machine, and I've left the unit on A-Flex Auto but lowered the max pressure some. I will try that for awhile. I also downloaded the SleepHead software but have not installed it yet.

Now to answer your questions,
I'm not renting it, and it's not paid for by Medicare or supplement insurance. It's provided solely and completely by the VA. I don't have any compliance requirements other than it takes a long time to get an in person appointment at the VA clinic. I've had the unit over a year and if I don't contact them, they don't contact me, nor do they ask for the unit back.

The logistics of the VA are kinda unique but to explain in short order, I went there in person first when they gave me the machine. Then I used it for awhile they sent me an envelope asking for me to return the card.

I did so, & eventually they sent the card back (via postal mail) with a letter stating what they had done to the setup. I put the card back in the unit. I never took the actual unit back to the VA. So if they did in fact change the setup (?) they could have only done it through the card mailing.

The setup (to me) seemed different from before I got the card back. I might just be imagining that but don't think so. They told me (in the letter) that specifically they had changed the unit from regular CPAC to Auto (A-Flex) and gave it a maximum pressure of 20 (a min of 6). Previously I had a constant (CPAC) pressure of 8 (non auto). They also changed the humidifier to the Classic setting.

But I started having so many mask blow outs in early morning hours most times I'd just take it off the rest of the night and sleep on my side. In any case actually driving over to the VA hospital (in another town) is 50 min each way drive. And it takes 2 months (or longer) to even get an appointment.

And I really feel I can adjust my own settings from experience better than they do, especially since it takes so long to get a new appointment. I will just experiment with it awhile, I feel I've learned enough about the Auto to see how each pressure range (min to max) works out.

The only thing I need to find now and read up again is how to set the humidifier back to the original setting. The VA set it to the what they called the Classic setting. And it did give more moisture but the air coming our of it got too hot during the night. I want to set it back to less heat.

You know how to do that ?
Post Reply Post Reply
If you go back into the provider menu, you should see a setting for either System One humidification or Classic setting. If using classic setting, there should be options C1 through C5.
If it's too much heat, turn the knob to a lower number.

OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2016, 08:23 PM)OpalRose Wrote: If you go back into the provider menu, you should see a setting for either System One humidification or Classic setting. If using classic setting, there should be options C1 through C5.
If it's too much heat, turn the knob to a lower number.

In my clinical setup, I don't really see a humidifier setting, what I do see are two settings the may or may not relate to this.

One setting listed is, SYSTEM ONE RESISTANCE.
This menu has 6 settings, 0 and X1 thru X5

The second setting listed is, LOCK SYSTEM ONE
This menu has settings of either ON/OFF

Please correct me where I guessed wrong, but I surmise these are the humidifier menus and the first one (RESISTANCE) sets the System One humidifier level to 0 (being off ? ) or levels X1 - X5 humidity

And the second one (LOCK SYSTEM ONE) sets the Classic heater to on if the LOCK is set to OFF.

And the reverse of the Classic off with standard System One humidifier on if the LOCK is set to ON. (?)

Further discussion,
If I detach the humidifier completely (physically) from the CPAP unit like for taking it to the hospital for one day surgery, then I surmise I should put the LOCK setting to ON and the level to 0 (?) or does it matter what the settings are on if the humidity unit is detached ?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 757 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42
  Adaptive servo-ventilation unit vs APAP Comfortcomposites 9 536 12-11-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Saving time/date in ResMed S9 vpap adapt Ed in SoDak 4 484 06-18-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Ed in SoDak
  Restoring sleep data MATTWOOD 3 348 02-19-2023, 05:05 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  SD card backup on PC and new SD card snorin2 0 922 12-05-2022, 01:53 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  Does Your Expensive Resmed 10 have Auto Daylight Saving Time Adjustment? S. Manz 45 4,973 11-07-2022, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Gary K
  restoring masks method report SleeperAwake21 4 659 04-25-2022, 11:17 PM
Last Post: SleeperAwake21

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.