Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Saw my sleep doc today...changes
Saw my sleep doc today...changes
I'm kind of hopeful that I'll have more improvements in the coming weeks. I had an appointment with my sleep doc today and I complained about the following:

-still having morning headaches - although I confessed they are not as severe
-still just as tired
-still waking 2-4 times per night
-air pressure seems ok at bedtime, but wake up feeling like it's not enough

Pros:
-snoring has stopped (at least I've been told by family)
-full compliance since beginning CPAP
-sleeping about an hour longer on average in the a.m.

Upon hearing about the above, the sleep doc decided to increase my pressure from 6 to 7.5. And he wants to look at the data next time I come in, so he ordered the DME to provide me with a data capable machine (YAY!!)

So I've come home with a ResMed AirSense 10 Elite CPAP set at 7.6 (they can only be set in increments of .2). This is great as this is the machine I researched and plan to buy when the time comes!

So I've installed SleepyHead on my MBA and will look at the results when I get a chance in the next few days. I assume I need to lock the SD card before inserting it in the computer even if it is a MAC?? Or is the problem just with Windows PC's?

Only downside is that I broached the subject of getting an auto CPAP machine and the sleep doc is not a fan. He is probably 70ish (nice man), but probably not too good with technology.

He said that the auto machines "...are not the best. Their algorithms work on only 1 channel. We use 11 in here to decide when to change. The scoring gives you an AHI Apnea/Hypopnea index. You can't score a hypopnea without blood oxygen determinations or movement arousals. All this thing (auto CPAP) has is one lead."

I'm not trying to open up a debate about auto vs fixed, but it's a definite no for me qualifying for an auto CPAP. Unless I purchase on my own, and if I do that, my private insurance won't kick in cause I have to use the government insurance first! Talk about a catch-22!!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Saw my sleep doc today...changes
Here is a post of mine from a recent thread on the topic of low v actual AHI and recent literature:

28RE: LOW AHI vs actual REAL quality sleep
In follow up to my post (#21 above) and all of the great comments that followed I thought I'd do a quick internet search (by no means intended to be exhaustive) on what research has been done on the question of the accuracy of APAP AHI scoring versus sleep study (PSG). I found two studies that seem to be on point.

Title:
Accuracy of Auto-Titrating CPAP to Estimate the Residual Apnea-Hypopnea Index in Patients
with Obstructive Sleep Apnea on Treatment with Auto-Titrating CPAP.
Authors:
Himanshu Desai M.D.1, Anil Patel M.D.2, Pinal Patel M.B.B.S.1, Brydon J.B. Grant M.D.1 and M. Jeffery Mador M.D.1, 3.

"Bland and Altman plots demonstrate that the difference between auto-CPAP AHI and PSG AHI was not uniform with auto-CPAP overestimating the AHI at lower values of AHI and underestimating the AHI at higher values of AHI." (My quotes added)

http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~grant/94.pdf

The second study: (I have excerpted a few paragraphs. You should read the whole thing when you have time.)

Sleep Disorders
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 314589, 6 pages
http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/314589
Research Article
Accuracy of Positive Airway Pressure Device—Measured Apneas and Hypopneas: Role in Treatment Followup
Carl Stepnowsky,1,2 Tania Zamora,1 Robert Barker,3 Lin Liu,4 and Kathleen Sarmiento2,3
1Health Services Research & Development Unit, Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
2Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, CA 92037, USA
3Pulmonary Service, Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
4Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California, San Diego, CA 92037, USA

Received 30 April 2013; Revised 16 July 2013; Accepted 19 July 2013

Academic Editor: Giora Pillar

Copyright © 2013 Carl Stepnowsky et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Abstract

Improved data transmission technologies have facilitated data collected from positive airway pressure (PAP) devices in the home environment. Although clinicians’ treatment decisions increasingly rely on autoscoring of respiratory events by the PAP device, few studies have specifically examined the accuracy of autoscored respiratory events in the home environment in ongoing PAP use. “PAP efficacy” studies were conducted in which participants wore PAP simultaneously with an Embletta sleep system (Embla, Inc., Broomfield, CO), which was directly connected to the ResMed AutoSet S8 (ResMed, Inc., San Diego, CA) via a specialized cable. Mean PAP-scored Apnea-Hypopnea Index (AHI) was 14.2 ± 11.8 (median: 11.7; range: 3.9–46.3) and mean manual-scored AHI was 9.4 ± 10.2 (median: 7.7; range: 1.2–39.3). Ratios between the mean indices were calculated. PAP-scored HI was 2.0 times higher than the manual-scored HI. PAP-scored AHI was 1.5 times higher than the manual-scored AHI, and PAP-scored AI was 1.04 of manual-scored AI. In this sample, PAP-scored HI was on average double the manual-scored HI. Given the importance of PAP efficacy data in tracking treatment progress, it is important to recognize the possible bias of PAP algorithms in overreporting hypopneas. The most likely cause of this discrepancy is the use of desaturations in manual hypopnea scoring.

……

Given the improved PAP data transmission technologies and resultant increased use of these data, we sought to investigate the accuracy of the PAP-measured AHI. We had the opportunity to conduct “PAP efficacy” studies in which participants wore PAP devices simultaneously with Type III cardiopulmonary recording equipment. Therefore, the goal of the present study was to specifically examine the accuracy of the identification of apneas and hypopneas by the PAP device.
…..

2.2. Equipment Used

The Embletta (Embla, Inc., Broomfield, CO) was directly connected to the ResMed AutoSet S8 (ResMed, Inc., San Diego, CA) via a specialized cable that allowed for the direct recording of S8 data. Signals recorded include oximetry, chest effort, and body position. Airflow from the PAP device was used for scoring. RemLogic software was used for manual respiratory scoring. Apneas and hypopneas were manually scored according to the 2007 American Academy of Sleep Medicine guidelines, which included defining a hypopnea as being associated with a ≥4% oxygen desaturation [8]. AutoSet respiratory events were autoscored by the device, and summary statistics were obtained within RemLogic. Manual scoring was blind to the AutoSet-scored respiratory events.

…..

In this study of home-based PAP efficacy, as measured by the S8 APAP device, the PAP-scored HI was on average more than double the manual-scored HI. Given the importance of PAP efficacy data in tracking treatment progress, it is important to recognize that this particular APAP device may overscore hypopneas. The most likely causes of this discrepancy are (a) the use of a proprietary algorithm and (b) the use of desaturations in manual hypopnea scoring. Because the number of apneas was underscored relative to manual scoring, the overall AHI does not appear to be different from manual scoring. This study and the evolving literature in this area suggest that it is important to understand how a specific PAP device identifies both apneas and hypopneas.

…..

In summary, PAP devices have automated, proprietary algorithms for respiratory event detection. When event detection scoring is combined with PAP use duration in the denominator, a proxy AHI value is derived. Given the increased reliance on the PAP-scored events by both providers and patients, it is important to better understand the nuances of specific algorithms and how the PAP-scored AHI, HI, and AI values compare to those same values from manual scoring. Doing so is an important step toward making more informed treatment decisions.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/sd/2013/314589/
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
You should always lock your sd card even on a Mac - I don't believe there should be an issue but you should always be on the safe side.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2015, 03:47 PM)cate1898 Wrote: So I've come home with a ResMed AirSense 10 Elite CPAP set at 7.6
The doctor has come to his senses, took some persuading
Congrats

Post Reply Post Reply
It is actually more important to lock it on a Mac due to it wanting to write something on the card. Always always always lock that card with your Mac.

What the heck is he talking about leads? 11 and it only uses one? He really needs to read up on the literature. This is a CPAP machine, not a polysomnograph. Bless his heart.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have linux which is where i usually check sleepyhead, but my work computer is a mac-book pro and I use it when traveling. I have never locked the card, and never had an issue. Wasn't the issue primarily with the older S9s? my S9 is one of the later ones and it never cares what else is written on the card. I have never put my card in a winders box... don't have one.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
nope. any SD card put in a windows machine will get an index file written to it. Resmed machines have a problem with that and will erase the card.
No idea what a mac does if anything.
Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: sdcard-lock.png]
Very Important Warning
ALWAYS write protect CPAP data cards before inserting them into your computer.
Certain operating systems write index/cache files to the card without asking, and this could lead to data corruption, making your card unreadable by your CPAP machine. SleepyHead is read-only, and is definitely not the cause of this issue!
http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2015, 07:13 PM)PoolQ Wrote: nope. any SD card put in a windows machine will get an index file written to it. Resmed machines have a problem with that and will erase the card.
No idea what a mac does if anything.

A Mac makes a mess, adding three system folders and another system file. I'm not really sure what they do. They don't bother my DS-560, so I leave the write-protect tab alone.

The folders are:
.Spotlight-V100
.Trashes
.fseventsd

The file is:
._.Trashes
Post Reply Post Reply
OK so night 1 down. Woke up just before 3am with a headache. (I know, patience!)

Anyway, here's info from sleep report on A10

AHI .7
Leak Rate 10L/min - ???

I got a happy face for mask seal. So I don't understand. Is 10L/min bad? good?

APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 208 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 16 817 02-08-2024, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 682 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.