Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Scaly patches outside nostrals
Scaly patches outside nostrals
Since I am having so many difficulties with my CPAP machine, I forgot to mention this new problem. For about three weeks now the skin around my nose has been red and and scaly. It looks rather ugly, but doesn't itch. Nothing I have tried has helped make it go away. It seems somewhat connected with my nose being very dry inside. Does anyone have any ideas about this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Scaly patches outside nostrals
Might be tightening the mask too tight around your nose.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
The mask is only tight enough not to leak. The problem started suddenly after months without any problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
While than I'd start looking at what your cleaning the mask with. You might be having a reaction to type of soap or something.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Also it's winter.   Drier air. 
  You may need to turn up your humidity setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
While it is probably nothing and can be easily remedied with some soothing ointment, have you considered seeing a dermatologist to rule out serious skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, or other dermatological rashes while you are still symptomatic?
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice. I will have a doctor look at this again. The first time I went to the doctor, he thought it was part of a bacterial sinus infection, but that test came back negative. Meanwhile I will wash my mask and hose instead of just relying on the SoClean to disinfect it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Might I suggest Control III CPAP disinfectant which is used by hospitals and medical professionals? Follow the directions and it does a great job.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
The ozone that SoClean uses can cause skin irritation in some people. After washing your mask try going a week without the SoClean.

If it clears up you have a pretty good idea whats causing it.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Just wash you mask with warm soapy water and see what happens.
I have seen a few posts around forums where SoClean has been used develop skin problems.
There might be a connection or not and it may be others are just a bit sensitive.
I would just wash it with warm soapy water, rinse well and allow to dry.
See if skin clears up, if not go to the doctor.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.