Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Scared newly diagnosed got sleep study results today
RE: Scared newly diagnosed got sleep study results today
One step at a time. None of us are Doctors (a few exceptions on the board) - and these are strong opinions. My throat surgery was done (am horrid on dates)12-14yrs ago, so I kind of assume the procedure is better now.

However - it is honestly rare to get good enough results to end up not needing the CPAP afterwards. So, start with CPAP only for at least 4-6 months and see what happens. The primary (good) reason to get the throat surgery is simply to get your required pressure lower, and a lower pressure usually means less discomfort. If your pressure ends up caring for you and is under '16', personally I would not get the surgery.

I was (remember, the old days) having issues in that my events were still too long while using my CPAP that my blood O2 was still dropping too low - in other words, my AHI ( during a sleep study using my machine, mask, and settings) was less than '10', but my blood O2 was still dropping multiple times at night into the low 60s - so I *needed* the surgery.

I honestly would take the surgery off the table completely for at least six months, and make sure you get a data capable machine. and then learn to read and understand the data. You will by then be able to make an informed choice when considering the throat surgery.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Firstly, welcome to the board, the nicest people in the world share so much info, so you are in good hands.

Surferdude told you about sleeping on your side, and I can't stress that enough. My apnea is very bad, if I sleep on my back and minimal if I sleep on my side. I was titrated on my back and then given a pressure of 17. When I got home after the study, that pressure was so bad I did not sleep for day's. I finally found this board and learned a lot and called my doctor. He gave permission to lower my pressure slowly and all of a sudden, I was on pressure 6 with almost no apnea episodes!!!

I understand they must titrate you on your back, but for me, it was not a good idea. Have you looked into this?

I am presently trying the Circadiance Advanced, it's a cloth mask and so far, 1 week later, I am happy with it, it's very comfy and does not leak, at least for me.

Hang in there, it does get better.
Post Reply Post Reply

Try RespIronics FitLife mask... saved me. NO face dents. Looks scary but it is so comfy to wear.

Kate

:Using cpap then vpap since Feb.2013,
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree, DON'T GET SURGERY! It more often just complicates things and makes the doctors that much richer.
Tongue

If you have nasal problems (like me) try the full face, and FitLife total face mask.
For leaks I also use Skin Tac wipes (MS407W).
That will set up the seal on your face mask to be extra tacky and wont unseat/blow out as easily at night.
I can even loosen the straps a bit so it's more comfortable to wear!

First thing above all, get good mask that fits comfortably as possible and get acclimated.

Hang in there!

Sleep-well
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had septoplasty, UPPP, genoglossus advancement, and hyoid advancement (on a possibly related note, my surgeon recently bought a new yacht). My results were similar to Peter C.'s. The septoplasty (to correct a deviated septum) improved the quality of both my sleeping and waking life (the first breath I took after the cotton wadding was removed was a revelation - so THIS is what it feels like to really breathe through your nose!!). The other surgeries did almost nothing. I would get the septoplasty again, but would pass on the others. The septoplasty made it so that I could use nasal pillows (my mask of choice) and lowered my pressure from 13 cm to 9 cm.
Post Reply Post Reply
Greetings from a newly diagnosed sleep apneac (my own word, Grin!);

My AHI when sleep on my back was 44, not as high as yours, but it certainly got my attention! I am using my hubby's old CPAP (known as "the brick", virtually no data recorded, just hours of usage) and am increasing the pressure almost nightly until I get more energy. My own APAP should be in this week - I can hardly wait!!

Please, do NOT be so hard on yourself! You ARE working towards using the CPAP/APAP; remember, the CPAP/APAP is your Friend, not a dragon to be slayed.

My hubby had his diagnosis in 2003; we just recently got health insurance again (Thank God!) and we both had sleep studys done. He got a new APAP and nose pillows. He found out, from me and the sleep study, that he is a mouth breather when he sleeps. So, he got a chin strap and it works well. His nose also gets plugged up sometimes, but he found the nose pillows with the humidifier on the APAP Really helps to clear up his nasal cavities AND helps overcome the fact that he has a deviated septum.

I just saw a full face mask (on CraigsList, no less!) that is a combo of the bottom half of a full face mask for the mouth and uses the nasal pillows for the nose; that might be an idea if you want to go that route.

I talked with the folks who did our sleep study and they told me that they do APAP Naps where they let you try on different masks, help with fit, etc. for no charge. Maybe the clinic where you had your sleep study would do the same?? Worth asking. Worst thing they can say is no.

Regardless, You are ON THE ROAD! Hang in there! You can do this! But, Rome (or APAP use) was not built in a day.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2014, 08:58 AM)Shastzi Wrote: For leaks I also use Skin Tac wipes (MS407W).
That will set up the seal on your face mask to be extra tacky and wont unseat/blow out as easily at night.
I can even loosen the straps a bit so it's more comfortable to wear!

Please give a bit more info on these wipes?

Do you use one per day?

Do these do anything to your mask?

Is it easy to clean your face in the mornings?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 20 299 10 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 217 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 53 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 73 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 131 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.