Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Scary event nighttime event, need advice
Scary event nighttime event, need advice
Hello all. After using an MAD for the past few months (mild OSA AHI 6) and recommitting to my resmed S9 Autoset last week after wondering if CPAP would be better It seems that the CPAP route has the better effect on me after 1 weeks use. Here is where I need thoughts , I've adjusted pretty well over the past week to using the CPAP, not loving wearing it but not as bad as my first round. Waking up with better energy, still got hit with some fatigue yesterday but much better overall. Now here's what happened. I've had a mild cold (past three days) with one nostril (either one) which keeps clogging and breathing through the swift fx has been a bit hit or miss. Love the mask, and I seem to be keeping my mouth fairly shut. Reports show a leak of no mer than 6ml and my AHI has been between .1-.6. I did the net pot last night and use a nose spray, but I do have congestion issues here and there. Two nights ago, I was trying to fall asleep and out of nowhere my pulse (resting pulse normally 55-60) shot up to 126, I jumped up freaked a bit and after around a minute or less it started to gradually slow down again and after a few minutes total (not max HR) I was back to normal but pretty freaked out. Went to sleep, tracked my SPO2 and HR and all were good at avg of 97spo2 and 50-60HR. I chalked it up to some indigestion and a martini and moved on. Next night was fine, although still congested. Then last night I was more congested with a bit of a cough, used the neti pot and nose spray decongestant then again went to sleep. About 20 minutes in (i was feeling really exhausted as well) Bam my heart rate starts to go up again, but this time to 146 BPM and stays there for about a minutes, then same thing again, HR drops to under 100 and then slowly drops back down to 60 over the next 5 min. Needless to say, I am experiencing some heavy anxiety at this point and pretty much did not sleep most of the night until I finally passed out of exhaustion staying up out of fear and got 3 hours sleep. SPO2 97% avg and HR 60 avg were fine again for rest of night and the pleats on my pulse ox looks nice and even. Can this be a CPAP anxiety attack from restricted breathing, does this sound familiar to anyone. My heart had been recently cleared with no issues, but I think I'm going to a cardiologist tomorrow. Nothing worse then needing CPAP, getting a bit used to it and happy that it works, then becoming scared to go to sleep. Really not what I was hoping for after a fairly successful week of using CPAP seriously. Thanks all. A scared Hosenose
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Scary event nighttime event, need advice
" I chalked it up to some indigestion and a martini and moved on. Next night was fine, although still congested. Then last night I was more congested with a bit of a cough, used the neti pot and nose spray decongestant.............."

Yeah,,,,, dump the nose spray.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nasal decongestants contain adrenaline like chemicals to shrink the blood vessels in your nasal passages. You may well be hypersensitive to the active ingredient of your spray.

Try a nasal steroid spray instead if you regularly have a stuffy nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Or just use a saline nasal spray. But dump the spray you are using now.

Do you feel the heart rate going up or is it just the oximeter telling you it is up?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think it is paroxysmal tachycardia (times of accelerated heart rate). You should mention it to your doctor. Even if it is, there may be minimal risk. Best to check it out, though, even if you do not feel any different.

see https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index...702AAHhdr9 - I am sure there are dozens of other places on the net that talk about it.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
PaulaO2, yes I feel my heart rate increase and beating heavily. 145 felt no different than 125 front 2 nights before. As an update, I had an ECG today and it showed normal. Will probably do the Holter for 24 hours as well. Quiescense, thank you. I'll look into it (I completely felt it and it freaked the hell out of me) thought I was going to have heart attack although no other symptoms. Now it's all about anticipation. I'll be waiting to see if it happens again. Although it doesn't seem that nasonex has any heart related side effects, I will drop using it tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep drop the nose spray. As one who battled fast HR for 15 yrs trust me its a huge no no if you have any tendency to have a fast HR.

Cpap slowed my HR so that now I do not take any meds to slow it to normal whereas I did have too for years before and they worked hit or miss.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2015, 08:13 PM)Daso Wrote: PaulaO2, yes I feel my heart rate increase and beating heavily. 145 felt no different than 125 front 2 nights before. As an update, I had an ECG today and it showed normal. Will probably do the Holter for 24 hours as well. Quiescense, thank you. I'll look into it (I completely felt it and it freaked the hell out of me) thought I was going to have heart attack although no other symptoms. Now it's all about anticipation. I'll be waiting to see if it happens again. Although it doesn't seem that nasonex has any heart related side effects, I will drop using it tonight.

You're correct about Nasonex, no need to drop it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Daso,
What Paula said.
Dump the Nasonex. I used it before I started CPAP Therapy and for about one month into therapy and suffered nose bleeds. My blood pressure went up and pulse rate too. There were nights I woke
up because my pulse rate was so high and it felt like I may have heart problems. Had checkup, and heart is normal. Good luck with your therapy.
Sleep-well

Just wanted to add that I use saline nasal spray which is safe, and also use a nasal rinse.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2015, 07:42 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Daso,
What Paula said.
Dump the Nasonex. I used it before I started CPAP Therapy and for about one month into therapy and suffered nose bleeds. My blood pressure went up and pulse rate too. There were nights I woke
up because my pulse rate was so high and it felt like I may have heart problems. Had checkup, and heart is normal. Good luck with your therapy.
Sleep-well

Just wanted to add that I use saline nasal spray which is safe, and also use a nasal rinse.

I tried doing the nasal rinse and saline spray, but by 3 am, I was congested again. I'm really trying to avoid a full mask as that will kill my desire to keep the Cpap. It's been bearable with the swift fx so far.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 281 2 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 861 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,796 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 797 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.