Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Scary event nighttime event, need advice
RE: Scary event nighttime event, need advice
I have always had trouble breathing through my nose, and for me the pillows system has not only resolved that issue at night, but has actually worked to allow me to breath through my nose during the day as well.

That said, if the pillows mask all by itself did not allow me to sleep comfortably (without any rinses and sprays and whatsits -- the only thing I want to do at bedtime is discover my pillow....) I would not hesitate to go back to a full face mask. I'd probably try the Resmed F10 mask. Maybe others. But the one thing I can absolutely say with perfect certainty is there is nothing that would "kill my desire to keep the Cpap."

In the interests of your health and perhaps the health of others it is important to no longer look at this therapy as something you must bear.

Embrace the possibility that you too can have an improved and longer life now that you have been given this blessing. If this mask, or that spray, or whatever gets in your way of doing that, find another way.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2015, 12:50 PM)retired_guy Wrote: I have always had trouble breathing through my nose, and for me the pillows system has not only resolved that issue at night, but has actually worked to allow me to breath through my nose during the day as well.

That said, if the pillows mask all by itself did not allow me to sleep comfortably (without any rinses and sprays and whatsits -- the only thing I want to do at bedtime is discover my pillow....) I would not hesitate to go back to a full face mask. I'd probably try the Resmed F10 mask. Maybe others. But the one thing I can absolutely say with perfect certainty is there is nothing that would "kill my desire to keep the Cpap."

In the interests of your health and perhaps the health of others it is important to no longer look at this therapy as something you must bear.

Embrace the possibility that you too can have an improved and longer life now that you have been given this blessing. If this mask, or that spray, or whatever gets in your way of doing that, find another way.

Retiredguy, Thanks. I'm in the beginning of this and completely understand where you are coming from. Can you tell me how it helped your nasal congestion? I use the swift fx, what are you using. My avg pressure seems to be between 5-6. Do you have a regimen or advice to get nasal passages clear for night? I'm fine in beginning but inevitably one nostril clogs up shortly after I lie down, much less so than when I'm standing. The nights I'm not congested, I sleep much better with the cpap
Post Reply Post Reply
First of all, your pressure sounds really low to me. At 5-6, I would not be a happy camper. My pressure minimum is 10.6. That might be a little high for you at this point. Do you have any test results that indicate what your pressures should be?

As to the congestion, all I know to tell you is what I have often said, which is I am the poster child for not being able to breath through my nose. I have always been a "mouth breather" because my nose doesn't work right. Deviated septum? Yeah maybe, but it's not anything I have ever wanted to go see Mr. Doctor about. Just has not sounded all that fun to me. Anyhow, I started my therapy with a nasal mask, then migrated to a full face mask. After wrestling the leaks for awhile, I asked for a pillows mask. "Ok," says the DME guys, "but what makes you think you can breath with it?" It was my great pleasure to learn that when I used the pillows mask I could not only breath with them, but they actually helped to keep my nasal passages clear.

I use the Resmed P10. I used the swift for awhile, but I like the P10 better because it diffuses the exhaust air so well.

One thing about the pillows which you may have already discovered: If you have one that doesn't seem to be pumping air, or is leaking, lift the pillows gently off your nose and let them resettle. That takes care of the majority of pillow leak issues.

As to my nighttime regimen? I ask/answer three questions:
1. Is it dark? (Yes)
2. Am I sleepy (of course)
3. Am I laying down on my comfy bed cuddled up in my covers with one of the puppies beside me? (If no, then why not?)

Short of making sure my machine has a full jug of water in it, I do nothing else. No wash face, no brush teeth, no nothing. No how. Just put on my mask, lay down, and wait for morning. I do "jammy up," but that's usually taken care of before time to go to bed.

Anyhow, investigate your minimum pressure setting. Maybe you belong that low, but I know if that was me I'd be thinking I couldn't breath good and should do all sorts of crazy go nutz things to try to make my poor little air starved nose work better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2015, 12:50 PM)retired_guy Wrote: But the one thing I can absolutely say with perfect certainty is there is nothing that would "kill my desire to keep the Cpap."

SO well put Retired_Guy!
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with retired_guy.
In the beginning of CPAP therapy, I never thought it possible that I would adapt to it. Now, after only a few months, I can't imanage being without. It is part of me, I look forward to going to sleep hooked up to this machine because I know that I will feel good when I wake up unlike the Zombie that I was prior to therapy.
I believe this has saved my life and will do and learn whatever I can to improve my therapy. We are never done learning.
Dancing
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have supra ventricular tachycardia (SVY), or rapid heartbeat during the day, usually evening, but not at night--at night my HR gets below 50. To slow my HR down I have to lie down! It would scare me if it happened at night. I've had two surgical tries at slowing it down (heart ablation) but they didn't work. My cardiologist says it isn't too dangerous as long as I can make it drop back to normal--still a little spooky. Hopefully stopping the meds at night will help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Drop the spray and crank up the humidity.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 273 6 minutes ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 168 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 857 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,790 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 77 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 788 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.