Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Scientific data analysis auto vs fixed
Scientific data analysis auto vs fixed
What are your thoughts on this news article?

https://www.pulmonologyadvisor.com/obstr...le/766757/
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Scientific data analysis auto vs fixed
The Chest paper itself, other than the abstract, is behind a paywall as usual (US$36 in this case). Foo.

The main objection I have is that we're not told (presumably this is in the paper) what APAP ranges were used. Was every patient in that group blindly given the old 4-20 treatment, or what?
Post Reply Post Reply
There are on going studies following this. Here's one: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03319888

For now I won't draw any conclusions.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
This very short article is a summary of an abstract of an article that compares the change in estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) (kidney function) in three groups - untreated OSA, treated with CPAP, and treated with APAP. This summary does not quantify the differences, but merely says that treatment with CPAP was (or may be) 'slightly' better.

This is the first article I have seen examining the relationship between sleep apnea and kidney failure; their may be other studies, considering how many people in the US and Canada are on dialysis.

Without the numerical data to support the claims, I am not persuaded to change my treatment for either ailment.

The full article is available through https://journal.chestnet.org/article/S00...0634-2/pdf for $36 USD where you can read the full abstract for free.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is a fairly good sized population, but I agree that I would like to know what sorts of settings were used for APAP. Creatinine levels are an issue for diabetes so it could make a big change in recommendations. The problem with the follow up study that Walla Walla indicated is that they are not including APAP and they have fewer participants.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 319 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  New and in Need OSCAR Analysis Well Marbled 1 65 1,397 03-23-2024, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 140 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 203 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Help with Oscar Analysis SleepyinMD 0 144 03-07-2024, 10:04 AM
Last Post: SleepyinMD
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.