Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Screenshot of my APAP report
Screenshot of my APAP report

I didn't use it for a couple of months because it was just too much trouble, but then went back to it when my sleep deteriorated even more. Thank goodness for the instructions on how to set your own machine here! I currently have the Apex ICH Auto set to APAP mode, with humidifier, range 6-20, 5 min ramp, expiratory relief on. Using nasal pillows, and thanks to whoever said I had it too tight - even though it didn't feel tight it was less uncomfortable when I loosened it just a hair. I could only use it for 1-2 hours when I started but now have been able to use it as long as 4 hours.  Then I wake up and can't tolerate it any longer and shift to sleeping in my recliner. This is the only page of data I can get from Apex' software, the other pages are blank.

Any thoughts are welcome!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Screenshot of my APAP report
Your AHI is very nice.
What is bothering you about your mask? Are you sure you are using the correct size pillows? I really like my P10 mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I forgot to add I live at 6600 feet altitude and Sleepyhead doesn't work with my Apex machine so their own software is the only option I have. The other pages of their software were completely blank, this is the only page that had any data on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at the report, though it is not great, it looks like you are mouth breathing a lot, you would do well getting a good chin strap or a soft collar to stop your mouth opening. Nasal pillows are the most comfortable, but the drawback of all nasal masks is either people try to breath through their mouths or air leaks through your mouth. If you have a dry mouth in the morning or wake up, this is what is happening.
As soon as you start mouth breathing/air leaking through the mouth the machine has lost control. It can try to sort out a leak, but if you start breathing through your mouth it can't do anything. If your mouth opens, air will go straight out of it instead of keeping your throat open.

However, at this stage you are doing not to bad. How do you feel in the mornings?
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are still having problems with the Nasal Pillows, try the bigger size and do not tighten them to much.
The nasal pillows should rest against your nose and not really enter it, just the tips of the pillows should be inside your nose.
However, you did say they were better a hair looser, so you might be sorted.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the comments. I thought I had the mouth breathing whipped. Sad I haven't woken up with a dry mouth or from air blowing through my mouth. I started with the medium nasal pillows but they were so uncomfortable that I tried the small ones and they feel much more comfortable even though I wouldn't say my nostrils were on the small size, I would have said they were larger than average. Now I don't know what to try. I do have a FFM, maybe I'd better go back and try it again but it was really hard for me to sleep with.

As for waking up, I've not seen a difference at all. Still very groggy during the day and frequent daytime sleepiness. I read the reports of people who feel great after their first night on PAP and turn green with jealousy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2018, 09:22 AM)groggygirl Wrote: Thanks for the comments. I thought I had the mouth breathing whipped. Sad I haven't woken up with a dry mouth or from air blowing through my mouth. I started with the medium nasal pillows but they were so uncomfortable that I tried the small ones and they feel much more comfortable even though I wouldn't say my nostrils were on the small size, I would have said they were larger than average. Now I don't know what to try. I do have a FFM, maybe I'd better go back and try it again but it was really hard for me to sleep with.

As for waking up, I've not seen a difference at all. Still very groggy during the day and frequent daytime sleepiness. I read the reports of people who feel great after their first night on PAP and turn green with jealousy.

Although, I’m not familiar with Apex software, I don’t see any evidence of mouth breathing.  Your leak rate is quite low.  

Make sure you are using the correct size nasal pillow.  The pillow should not be inserted into the nostril, but sit just under with the tip inserted.  If the pillow is being inserted in the nostril, then it is too small.

Your AHI is very good, showing mostly Hypopneas.  You may be able to eliminate some of the Hypopneas and improve on the snoring by moving your minimum pressure to 8cm.  

Good luck!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with OpalRose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with tedvpap.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the comments. I'll try raising the minimum pressure and I switched back to the medium pillows tonight. They felt uncomfortable before but maybe my nose has toughened up. I'll post again in a few days with another screenshot.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 363 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 557 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,410 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 585 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.