Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Scuba diving makes it easier to adapt to CPAP mask?
RE: Scuba diving makes it easier to adapt to CPAP mask?
Hmm. I tried to learn SCUBA diving in thailand and freaked out when trying to learn to snorkel with mask in a pool. So dropped out of the class. Maybe that explains part of why I’m having problems adjusting to the cpap mask/nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
Snorkeling is completely different from SCUBA. When diving with compressed air, a pressure regulator compensates for depth and provides for more pressure support with depth. Humans simply cannot inhale when more than a few feet underwater because the chest expansion cannot overcome the pressure of the surrounding water. Most snorkeling is at the surface and depth is not much of a factor, however for some individuals with weak inspiration strength, snorkeling is a non-starter. Perhaps this is just a sign you would do better with bilevel (BiPAP) pressure, which actually assists inspiration with a bit more pressure support.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Apparently I’d love scuba diving lol
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
although I don't dive much anymore, I've been certified since 1974. before treatment, deep in the throes of apnea, I often dreamt of being underwater for unnaturally long periods of time, occasionally 'sipping' air to survive.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not a scuba diver, but I'll bald and very sensitive to noise and have been sleeping with a hat and earplugs for years. I suspect that's partly why the nasal pillows mask and Knightsbridge Dual Band chin strap (which covers a lot of the head) don't feel like a big deal to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can definitely vouch for that, lots of divers here. Thought about getting into it myself to help, I never can get used to the things.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think it's particularly the practice of scuba diving that made the difference, but rather that there are some people that find scuba and CPAP to be pretty easy.

I recall that I had no problem at all getting comfortable scuba diving the very first time I tried it. It felt like the most natural thing in the world. The air pressure of the CPAP has also never given me problems at all. My problems have always been face irritation or air leakage waking me up (puffs of air in my eye will wake me every time).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 300 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 345 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 261 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  New CPAP User - f30i Mask Troubles CcReesezzzzz01 6 828 01-31-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: CcReesezzzzz01
  [CPAP] Significant noise from mask since change of CPAP machine! SwissTruffle 7 703 01-03-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] CPAP in Silent Mode and Mask Useful life meaning aconti 5 459 12-17-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: aconti
  Full face mask makes mouth breathing possible? BonkerHonker 1 541 11-22-2023, 07:11 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.