Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Scuba diving makes it easier to adapt to CPAP mask?
Scuba diving makes it easier to adapt to CPAP mask?
Anybody into scuba diving here?

Reason I'm asking is because I didn't have any trouble wearing a nasal CPAP mask or felt claustrophobic when I wore a CPAP mask for the first time and I attributed it to the fact that I go scuba diving. I wore the CPAP mask like a fish in water so to speak!

Anybody have the same experience?

[Mods: Apologies if this should be in the "Off Topic" Forum. Please transfer it if warranted]
hearsay73
Hosehead padawan 
Repaying my sleep debt, 1 night at a time...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Scuba diving makes it easier to adapt to CPAP mask?
It sure did for me. When I put the CPAP mask on it felt much like breathing on my scuba regulator. Same for my wife. We both started diving over 25 years ago and have racked up several hundred dives so the feeling was familiar.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I'm Scuba Diver.

I think you may be onto something regarding a correlation between wearing a diving mask, scuba regulator etc and a CPAP mask.
Captain Steubing
The Original Captain of "The Love Boat"
Purveyor of presto magic, love and chaos!
My Personal Blog
Post Reply Post Reply
Not a SCUBA mask, but I flew airplanes for Uncle Sam as a navigator and wore an oxygen mask on a regular basis. Helped in getting used to the FFM on my CPAP machine.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2019, 06:01 AM)hearsay73 Wrote: Scuba diving makes it easier to adapt to CPAP mask?

It might. And there could be other issues at play in the form of self-selection. People who have a hard time with CPAP masks may have a hard time with SCUBA and skip it. So people who SCUBA may be a self-selected group of people who will be tolerant of breathing masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
It has been a while since I did SCUBA. I loved it and when I first used the CPAP, I did feel like it was a similar experience. I hadn't though about it; but you are probably correct in thinking it made it easier.
Post Reply Post Reply
Scuba diving was a much worse experience than CPAP for me. Broke both eardrums because when I was young and stupid I dove when I had a cold.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Never used SCUBA but did SCBA on fire department.

Using the mask was,no issue except on the fitlife the seal, was much weaker.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2019, 01:32 PM)Stom Wrote: It might. And there could be other issues at play in the form of self-selection. ... people who SCUBA may be a self-selected group of people who will be tolerant of breathing masks.

I totally agree with the above.
Post Reply Post Reply
Absolutely. I’ve known this from the beginning of my CPAP journey.  Been a freediver (spearo) and scuba diver since early 50’s.  

Wish CPAP mask fit was as easy and comfortable as my low volume freediving masks though.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 260 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  New CPAP User - f30i Mask Troubles CcReesezzzzz01 6 824 01-31-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: CcReesezzzzz01
  [CPAP] Significant noise from mask since change of CPAP machine! SwissTruffle 7 702 01-03-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] CPAP in Silent Mode and Mask Useful life meaning aconti 5 459 12-17-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: aconti
  Full face mask makes mouth breathing possible? BonkerHonker 1 539 11-22-2023, 07:11 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.