Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sealing Problem
Sealing Problem
I am 77, a bit overweight, and have a beard.  I use a ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV machine set to: mode: ASVAuto, EPAP: 9 - 15 cmH2O, IPAP: 13 - 30 cmH2O, PS: 3 - 15 cmH2O.  I have oxygen prescribed at 3 l/m.  I have tried these masks (mostly FFM) ResMed F20, ResMed P20, ResMed P10, ResMed Quattro, F&P Forma, Amaro, Simplus, and probably a few more but I cannot get any mask to pass the ResMed seal test in my machine.  I think it is because of my beard because if I jam the mask into my bed, it will pass.  I can get AHI under 1 but, of course, leak rate is above 24.

Can anybody (preferably a man with a beard) give me any help?
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sealing Problem
my first question is why a FFM?  Are you a mouth breather?  

The physics of it say that a smaller mask will work better.  I see that your SETTINGS include high pressures, thus my initial comment, but I see nothing on the pressures you actually experience.  ASV tends to allow lower pressures than you would use on CPAP or BiPAP.

The best mask to use would be nasal pillow masks, though not everyone can.  These masks seal on the bottom of the nares (not in the nose) and as such avoid all issues with facial hair.
Two masks come to mind, the first is the ResMed P10, the headgear does stretch over time and needs to be shrunk back (washed) periodically but has a great following and users at both low and high pressures.  It also is the smallest, least intrusive, quietest mask on the market.  The other being the Philips Respironics equivalent, the Dreamweaver.  This has straps that can be tightened.

Read the Mask Primer if you have not.  Lots of hints on all things about masks.

I have been able to drop my pressure to about 9-10 over the last 4 months with my VAuto, before that I used 18+ cmw since 2002.

I hope I have enough of a beard for you.

Fred

PS, that is me in my backup mask, an Amara View, a "Hybrid/FFM"
Post Reply Post Reply
Fred,

I have Hay Fever and a bunch of allergies.  I have so much congestion that I pretty much have to use a FFM.  I tried your two masks (P10 and Amara) and I couldn't get either one to work.  That may be me, though.  The Amara is a FFM and maybe I could figure out how to use the nose part - that was the thing that screwed me up before.

You have quite a beard!  I, frankly, was hoping you'd answer as you are the expert!
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
Try this, it works for me, 100% of the time.

Using a nasal or pillow mask, use it for 5 minutes, force it.  The pressure always clears my passages, it does need a bit of time, and when I start I cannot breath adequately thru my nose.  Then it opens up.  I used to feel that everyone needed a FFM to handle congestion, now I don't, even for bad congestion.  Just need to work thru it for a bit.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll give it a try and use the P10 which I have but first I have to get it to fit!  It should pass the ResMed test in the machine.  If I can get this to work, facial hair doesn't matter.
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
I see the pointers Fred is passing onto you Larry as being quite valuable. I hope it will help the actual leaks you encounter. Just a friendly reminder though that the machine mask test is not a reliable indicator of the leaks that may or may not be occurring during sleep IMO. Personally, I think the mask test loses its value after initial mask adjustment. Trust Sleepyhead info on leak rates.

Happy Friday,

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave,

I'm sorry but I don't understand your post.  What do you see in Sleepyhead to let you know if you can trust the rest?
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
I was referring to comparing Sleepyhead to the ASV mask fit. Of the 2, I'll trust Sleepyhead reports on leaks more than the ASV smiley face.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, OK.  I thought you might be referring to an indicator which I wasn't aware of!  Yes, I agree, but I'd feel a lot better if I could get an ADV smiley face!  Thanks.
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2018, 12:45 PM)bonjour Wrote: Try this, it works for me, 100% of the time.

Using a nasal or pillow mask, use it for 5 minutes, force it.  The pressure always clears my passages, it does need a bit of time, and when I start I cannot breath adequately thru my nose.  Then it opens up.  I used to feel that everyone needed a FFM to handle congestion, now I don't, even for bad congestion.  Just need to work thru it for a bit.

Fred

I didn't believe this until I tried it.  But it really works.  I've had major blockage, and after about 5 min or so the blockage is gone. P10s are pretty amazing in that way.

No beard here, thankfully, so I'm sorry I cannot help you on that quest. But bonjour's beard seems to be a good resource!  LOL
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,935 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,504 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,850 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 375 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 590 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 431 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 259 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.