wubisnotanabbreviation Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed Aircurve 10 vauto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10/6
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Every breath you take, they'll be watching you.

Sex: Undisclosed

Search length restriction
Uh, can anybody help me out with a 4 or more letter word for nap (or kip, the only other one I'm coming up with)? A word people might actually use in conversation or better yet, when posting to the forum?

I've either fallen victim to a superstition, or I might be onto something. My AHI has been much better the last three nights, and the main difference is that I have given up my life-long addiction to napping. I have no bad habits left to give up...

Anyway, I would very much like to find out if I am the only person who seems to see a connection. My spouse says it doesn't make sense. But the since search length minimum is four characters, I am stymied. As an aside, this is why I couldn't ask for my traditional username, wub. Too short to verify whether someone already had that one, I guess.
05-27-2016 01:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Sex: Male

RE: Search length restriction
catnap, rest, snooze, siesta..

or add letters making it "naps" or "napping".

Or when you search you could do a phrase search (put the phrase in quotes) where the phrase includes the word "nap"... like searching for "afternoon nap" or "short nap" or "taking a nap". Putting a phrase in quotes will help you avoid the minimum search character option that is a hard limit of 4 characters (limited by our database).

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

05-27-2016 01:49 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

sleep?
05-27-2016 07:13 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Preferred Members

(05-27-2016 07:13 PM)me50 Wrote:  sleep?

I had hoped to make a distinction between real, nocturnal, 8 hours of so sleeping, and those things I do in the afternoon when I just can't function any longer. I've been napping most of my adult life but in the last few years it seemed like a real hardship to try to get through a day without a nap. When I did my sleep study, that was the hardest part of the "prep".

During my sleep study, when they started bipap, I slept better than I have slept in decades. When I finally got my machine, after my first night I was so disappointed to find that at home it was not at all the same. I tried some variations in settings, but couldn't seem to get back to that experience. But the other day, napping was impossible, and that night I had a really good night. I decided that maybe this was the missing ingredient, so next day I again avoided napping and got another good result. I'm on my fourth day now, and beginning to think I may have found my missing piece.

I just wanted to consult the wisdom of the forums to see if anyone else had found this to be the case. But I ran into the length limit. I could search for naps, napping and so on which might work too. But most of the posts containing the work sleep are likely to be discussing something other than the effect of naps on nighttime sleep. I think. I'll give some of these alternatives a try.
05-27-2016 11:05 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Or you could just simply start a new thread in the Main Forum and open it up for discussion.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-27-2016 11:36 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male

I wouldn't place as much significance on the lowered AHI as I would on the feeling that you sleep better. The reason is because AHI just plain varies like that for me. I'll go days, or even weeks, with a AHI that's most nights between 2 and 3; and then do the same where it's between 0.5 and 1.5.

Napping is something all of our resident mammals do on a regular basis. We humans seem to be the rare exception. There are also interesting discussions about the "second sleep" and that before the industrial revolution it was common to sleep a few hours, get up in the middle of the night for a few hours, and then go back for the "second sleep". Our ancestors living in high latitudes (where the winter nights are considerably longer than the summer nights) would essentially hibernate in the winter. Spending long hours in the sack, punctuated by eating and stoking the fires to keep the cold at bay. My mother claims that her mother, a southern European immigrant to America in the early 1900's, slept not by the clock but by the sun. She would sleep all the way through a long 16 hour night in the winters, but only the short 8 hour nights of the summers.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

05-28-2016 04:08 PM

Preferred Members

I agree, it may be time for a thread on the main forum, but I wanted to be polite and make sure I wasn't duplicating a thread I just had not happened to see.
05-28-2016 05:19 PM

Donate to Apnea Board