Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Second Machine Still Loud...What next?
Second Machine Still Loud...What next?
I've just received a second dreamstation machine from a new supplier after my 4 year old machine started making intermittent
noises. I returned the 1st new machine because it was making a whirrrrring sound on inhaling and exhaling.
My old machine was so quiet and I absolutely loved it.

So, my new supplier wasn't happy about my first return. When I went in to return it I couldn't get the machine to
duplicate the problematic noise. The supply manager suggested the issue might have been related to the power cord
I was using, since I was using my original 4 year old power cord when I tested it. I took the machine home and tested it
one more time with the new power cord. The same 'whirrrring' noise was present.

When I called the next day to set up an exchange for a different machine, the manage advised he would swap it out once.
He said If I returned the second machine he would void out my insurance order, and I would have to find a different provider.

The only way I can use this second machine is if I bury it under towels to mute out the sound. I'd rather not have to do that to
get a machine that operates with satisfactory noise levels. I'm considering trying a Resmed Airsense 10 machine to see if
it does any better.

I see that there are suppliers online who rent machines. I was thinking I could rent one and see if it's an improvement, then maybe
buy one.

I'm curious to know what others might do in this situation, and if you would recommend the Airsense 10 machine. I've been comfortable
adjusting my own settings and monitoring my sleep results with my old dreamstation machine. I'm sleeping well with AHI averages under 2
down from over 30 at initial testing.

Thanks for any insights!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Second Machine Still Loud...What next?
Noise levels are relatively quiet on most these modern PAP machines. Even so it's dependant on the ear of the user. If you go ResMed look for their AirSense10 AutoSet or AutoSet For Her. Both are data capable with OSCAR, and maybe are quieter. But definitely will give better more comfortable therapy.

I'm not sure which supplies rent, but when it's time to buy, look at Supplier #2. Second wind has new and used at good prices.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2021, 01:31 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Noise levels are relatively quiet on most these modern PAP machines. Even so it's dependant on the ear of the user. If you go ResMed look for their AirSense10 AutoSet or AutoSet For Her. Both are data capable with OSCAR, and maybe are quieter. But definitely will give better more comfortable therapy.

I'm not sure which supplies rent, but when it's time to buy, look at Supplier #2. Second wind has new and used at good prices.

Thanks for the reply Dave! I'll check out Supplier #2.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a DreamStation Auto. I've been noticing that sometimes mine is loud (the sound enters my dreams as cars racing by), but sometimes it's quiet. Recently I could not sleep because of the noise, and I had a gut feeling maybe the air filter was the problem. So I switched out the filter (both the large particle filter and the fine filter) and what do ya know, super quiet!

So perhaps try switching out your filter.

Also, I had heard in this forum that the name brand filters are quieter than the off-brand filters. So I've been insisting my DME give me only the name-brand filters. (At first they said they didn't have any. I insisted. Then they tried to oops accidentally give me the off-brand ones. I sent them back. And now finally they send me only the brand name ones.)

Regarding my recent experience with switching out the filter that same night and it suddenly being much quieter - both of the filters were brand-name. So.
. I don't know what was up with that. But the filter sure is worth experimenting with.

And if your DME is going to be so temperamental, you *might* be better off finding a better DME.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I had a dreamstation I had the same noise, best described as a whirring type noise. It would come and go but it was loud and even my wife noticed it. This was about 3 years ago. Web searches did bring up many examples of this. Some sites even had videos of it. This happened when it was about 8 months old and the DME exchanged it with no problems.

Did the DME give you a new replacement or a used machine? 

The warranty is 5 years, here is a link.

https://images.philips.com/is/content/Ph...rranty.pdf

Maybe you should contact PR about the problem. If it were me ,I would be looking for a new DME after their remarks.

car54
Post Reply Post Reply
PR won't talk to end-users and provide support only through the DME an physician network.  If you could switch this out for a Resmed Autoset, then it would not only be quieter, it would be a total win for comfort.  Baring that, put your CPAP machine in a bedside drawer with the tube and power run out the back.  It looks better, it's safer and absolutely quiet.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=28461]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2021, 01:06 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: I use a DreamStation Auto.  I've been noticing that sometimes mine is loud (the sound enters my dreams as cars racing by), but sometimes it's quiet.  Recently I could not sleep because of the noise, and I had a gut feeling maybe the air filter was the problem. So I switched out the filter (both the large particle filter and the fine filter) and what do ya know, super quiet!

So perhaps try switching out your filter.

Also, I had heard in this forum that the name brand filters are quieter than the off-brand filters. So I've been insisting my DME give me only the name-brand filters. (At first they said they didn't have any. I insisted.  Then they tried to oops accidentally give me the off-brand ones. I sent them back.  And now finally they send me only the brand name ones.)

Regarding my recent experience with switching out the filter that same night and it suddenly being much quieter - both of the filters were brand-name. So.
. I don't know what was up with that.  But the filter sure is worth experimenting with.

And if your DME is going to be so temperamental, you *might* be better off finding a better DME.

Thanks for your reply. So, here's my update as of today. I returned my second machine to the DME via Fedex. It's just not worth it to me to 'settle' for a machine I have to bury
in towels or a pillow so I can tolerate
the noise and sleep. My old dreamstation was super quiet.

I found a business that rents refurbished machines and mine came
in today (shipped one out and one was delivered).

I tested it briefly and it seems great.
I opted for a Resmed Airsense Auto
to test an alternative. I can purchase this unit if I decide, or buy a new one if I prefer. 

This seems to be a winning solution! I have heard that filters can cause noise issues. Thanks again for
sharing that tip.

Have a great 2021 Hydrangea!
Post Reply Post Reply
That's great!

Thanks, Surfbear - you too!
Post Reply Post Reply
Get it setup then tell us how therapy's going.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2021, 05:59 AM)car54 Wrote: When I had a dreamstation I had the same noise, best described as a whirring type noise. It would come and go but it was loud and even my wife noticed it. This was about 3 years ago. Web searches did bring up many examples of this. Some sites even had videos of it. This happened when it was about 8 months old and the DME exchanged it with no problems.

Did the DME give you a new replacement or a used machine? 

The warranty is 5 years, here is a link.

https://images.philips.com/is/content/Ph...rranty.pdf

Maybe you should contact PR about the problem. If it were me ,I would be looking for a new DME after their remarks.

car54

Thanks car54!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,605 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [Equipment] Transcend Micro very loud chipschap 5 964 02-25-2024, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Rkaechler
  New AirSense 10 is very loud. xian67 2 392 12-15-2023, 08:45 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,211 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] ResMed AirSense 10 makes loud noise when inhaling. sanger 110 145,309 10-13-2023, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Airsense P11 hose-dry function ends with loud burst - normal? jharuni 5 727 10-13-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: jharuni
  Sleepstyle F&P is very loud bibbie 5 543 09-20-2023, 01:21 PM
Last Post: enigmatic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.