Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Second night on APAP, lots of Central Apneas, is this normal?
RE: Second night on APAP, lots of Central Apneas, is this normal?
(02-27-2021, 09:11 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Teccrc be sure to include the chart that shows the full-night so we can see the relationship of events to pressure, and what your results actually were.  If fixed pressure at 8.0 was uncomfortable, the fixed at 7.0 would be my next preference as fixed pressure is going to do better for most people at mitigating centrals.

Ok, I forgot to put the SD card back in for my first night on constant 8.0 pressure. I tried 8 again last night, here is the results from that:

and here are the results from the previous night with 7-10

Post Reply Post Reply
When doing your flow rate zoom, try to include a 3-minute segment. You are under 1-minute and a longer picture will give a better ideal. Your central event index has not improved with fixed pressure. Your events are entirely central. If you do not get the restful results you hope for from therapy, you will likely need ASV, and I think the way to approach this is a change in diagnosis to complex or central sleep apnea and a clinical titration that starts with CPAP and evaluates ASV. Your titration test found a lower AHI which was also all central. As you can see on your chart, there are periods of centrals and periods that are free of events. That is a common pattern, but there is nothing we can expect from CPAP that will change it. The AHI will stabilize over time and either justify more advanced therapy or not. You will need to keep your doctor involved if you want better therapy.

You can try using EPR, but I suspect that will increase the CAI. That would tell us if the central events have a relationship to your CO2 levels causing pauses in breathing. If the event rate rises with EPR, then it is possible you might benefit from enhanced expiratory rebreathing space (EERS) which moves the vent farther from the mask and allows a small segment of tube to be used for storage and rebreathing of exhaled air. We have a wiki on that topic if you're interested. Trying EERS will show us your responsiveness to ventilation and CO2 if you want to try it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for all your help on this. I did reduce the pressure to 7.0 last night and there are quite a few less centrals. The problem is, I don't know if this is because of reduced pressure or eliminating supplements I'm taking. I'm kind of afraid that I may have caused this myself. I just don't see based on SleepRider's last response that lowering the CPAP pressure would have reduced the centrals so much. This may be out of the scope of this forum, but I feel the need to share this in hopes of possibly helping others in the future.

Primarily what I'm concerned with is Kratom, which I was taking in powdered form (Kratom is a plant in the coffee family) daily for the last 2 years for pain. I stopped taking this on Friday evening 2/26. This has exploded in popularity over the last few years. I've been pouring over literature on central sleep apnea and found some interesting studies regarding Opioid induced sleep disordered breathing, specifically central apnea. Kratom is not typically considered an opioid, but some of the alkaloids are partial μ-agonists and meta studies suggest that even partial μ-agonists can cause sleep disordered breathing. There are also several studies that conclude stopping the use of the opioid stopped central events. 

There are no studies on Kratom causing sleep disordered breathing, and maybe last night being lighter on CA events was a fluke, but I'm going to continue logging CPAP data to see what happens. I don't see any other reason these CA events would just suddenly reduce, and I don't have any other health issues that I know of that could be the cause of the centrals.

Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks much better regardless of whether the change is related to the supplements or pressure. Once you get further along with this, it may be a good idea to circle back to a thread dedicated to the subject of Kratom. It's an interesting theory and a thread with that in the title might get some input from others with experience.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just posting here to document...

Night of 1/23:     6.30 CA/H (initial sleep study)
Night of  2/10:   4.24 CA/H (titration)
Night of 2/26:    8.80 CA/H (Stopped Kratom)
Night of 2/27:    9.48 CA/H
Night of 2/28:    2.06 CA/H
Night of 3/1:       2.98 CA/H

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2021, 11:29 AM)teccrc Wrote: Just posting here to document...

Night of 1/23:     6.30 CA/H (initial sleep study)
Night of  2/10:   4.24 CA/H (titration)
Night of 2/26:    8.80 CA/H (Stopped Kratom)
Night of 2/27:    9.48 CA/H
Night of 2/28:    2.06 CA/H
Night of 3/1:       2.98 CA/H

Missed reports for some nights:
Night of 1/23:    6.30 CA/H (initial sleep study)
Night of 2/10:    4.24 CA/H (titration)
Night of 2/22:    7.20 CA/H (first night at home therapy, 7-10 cm)
Night of 2/23:    9.30 CA/H, 7-10 cm

Night of 2/24:    5.82 CA/H, 7-10 cm
Night of 2/25:    11.64 CA/H, switched to 8 cm fixed

Night of 2/26:    8.80 CA/H (Stopped Kratom, back to 7-10 cm)
Night of 2/27:    9.48 CA/H, back to 8 cm fixed
Night of 2/28:    2.06 CA/H, 7 cm fixed
Night of 3/1:       2.98 CA/H, 7 cm fixed

Certainly seems as though some events may be related to starting PAP treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
With your low baseline AHI at your sleep study, I'd be asking if this is worth it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm so what was the AHI etc. on the diagnostic?

It appears CA are here to stay if you continue therapy. I'm inclined to tell doc is not going to work. ASV would fix the CA but ...?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Back up to 9 Central per hour last night. Could not fall asleep due to mouth leak coming in and out and waking me up. Also fell asleep before putting on the mask.

Was on my back most of the time.

Should I try a pressure of 6? I'm still having no Obstructive. 

Post Reply Post Reply
The problem with centrals and central hypopnea is that they are consistently inconsistent. You can make any change that feels comfortable, and I expect you will continue to see variable results. It's becoming clear that while you enjoy some improvement over your diagnostic study by using CPAP at low, fixed pressures, you will ultimately have to address your need for ASV with your doctor. If he /she does not recognize your problem is not central apnea and make an appropriate diagnosis, you will need to move on to find a doctor that does.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to all. Have lots of ?? DudleyDoRight 5 133 5 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,666 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,566 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,220 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 144 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 200 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.