Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Second night with CPAP
Wink 
Second night with CPAP
Good morning all,

I'm glad I found you. Thank you for allowing me to join. I just finished my second night on CPAP and it went well. I was very worried that I would be one of the people who unconsciously snatched off my CPAP in the middle of the night, but that hasn't happened. The tech fitted me with size small nasal pillows, and after my first night my inner nostrils were SO sore. I read an article online that said to try the medium size pillows and to get some Lansinoh for the soreness, so I did that. Last night was better. 

I have a parasomnia that I call night eating, and my therapist suggested getting a sleep study. That's how I found out I have sleep apnea. 

Well, I just wanted to say hi and thank you. Would love to hear from all of you. 

Smile debberz
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Second night with CPAP
If you have a copy of your sleep study, or can type it up and post it in a shareable location such as Google Drive and paste a link (after posting at least 4 time), we may get some clues from that as to what may work for you.
Do you recall any of the details such as the apnea index (AHI)?

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
As soon as I saw you were fitted with small nasal pillows, I was getting ready to post, "try the medium" LOL. Glad that is working out. If that jet of vented air seems noisy and obnoxious to you, it probably is. I had the Swift FX before switching to the Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows. The Airfit is silent, and the vented air is very diffused so it can't hit you, or those you share the bed with.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I new to this also, welcome aboard!! I can't speak from the experience of trying multiple masks, but I can say that for me being two weeks into treatment the Dreamwear was comfortable and easy to use from the first night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I can post it.
Post Reply Post Reply

OVERNIGHT POLYSOMNOGRAM

CLINICAL HISTORY:  The patient is a 52-year-old female with symptoms of sleep
apnea and parasomnia including sleep walking and sleep eating.

INTERPRETATION:  Total sleep time was 374.6 minutes with reduced sleep
efficiency to 82.4%.

Sleep latency was prolonged to 31.5 minutes.  All sleep stages were recorded.

The apnea/hypopnea index was 15.9 with minimum O2 saturation of 81% recorded
during REM sleep.  The patient spent 2.8 minutes with O2 saturation below 88%.
Please note that the REM apnea/hypopnea index was 47.6.

Periodic limb movement index was 54.6 per hour with an arousal index of 2.9 per
hour.

Cardiac analysis showed no arrhythmia.

The patient had an extended EEG montage for her parasomnia.  No frank
epileptiform activity is seen throughout the EEG recording.  She had an
extensive alpha during sleep.

CONCLUSION:  This is an abnormal overnight polysomnogram with findings of the
following:
1.  Moderately severe obstructive sleep apnea with an apnea/hypopnea index of
15.9.  Normal is less than 5.  Minimum O2 saturation of 81%.  This seems to be
REM dominant with an apnea/hypopnea index of 47.6 during REM sleep.
2.  Periodic limb movement.
3.  Extensive alpha rhythm during sleep, but no frank epileptiform activity is
seen.

RECOMMENDATIONS:
1.  A trial of CPAP is recommended for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea.
Other treatment options include weight management, surgical evaluation and
dental appliance.
2.  Screening for restless leg syndrome based on the presence of periodic limb
movement.
3.  The patient was advised not to drive while drowsy, considering that her
Epworth Sleepiness Scale was 16.  She also was advised to follow up for a sleep consult with a physician. 

Good to know - I don't like the whistle of air I can hear nor the air that vents out on my hands.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Debberz,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Notes on what it may mean. I'm still new, so if the other agree with what I've noted, it is probably accurate.

"Cardiac analysis showed no arrhythmia." <- good

"No frank epileptiform activity is seen throughout the EEG recording."  <- did not look like epilepsy.

"Periodic limb movement" <- Restless leg syndrome and/or periodic limb movement can make it difficult to stay asleep if severe. Exercising earlier in the day helps some; there are also some medications which can be helpful to some.

"Moderately severe obstructive sleep apnea with an apnea/hypopnea index of
15.9. "  and "This seems to be
REM dominant with an apnea/hypopnea index of 47.6 during REM sleep." 
<- A CPAP is in your future if you want to reduce the consequences of obstructive apnea.

I also experience more apnea during REM sleep and will have runs of OSAs numbering as many minutes of REM of more (20 minutes:20+ OSAs) ... when I sleep on my back. The obstructive apneas may reduce some if you can sleep on your side.

For daytime alertness, modafanil (Provigal) may be helpful in keeping you awake. It is not speed. It can have side effects (If I take too much, I become quite irritable.) Your mileage may vary.)

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board Debberz. 

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.

Thank you so much for the analysis.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,129 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 879 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  New CPAP user - Longest night I've been able to keep it on bopbop 4 400 01-31-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bopbop
  new CPAP user night 12 .......runny nose Barbara Williams 0 349 11-11-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Barbara Williams
  [CPAP] Preparing for first night with CPAP (help required) applebee 2 431 10-28-2023, 11:20 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Night Guard use with CPAP brettski99 3 633 10-14-2023, 09:52 AM
Last Post: jstro84
  [Treatment] Low AHI/RDI with CPAP but still jolting awake every night boogiemoogie 0 487 08-09-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: boogiemoogie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.