Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

Security Cameras
Part of my home security is a set of Video Cameras connected by cable to an NVR. I need one in the driveway area of a detached garage. Going wired means running CAT-5 in conduit under concrete just to get to the garage.

I've search for wifi cameras; and the reviews are poor.

Logitech was selling a series on cameras that used the house wiring to transmit video; plus their wall power adapters supplied PoE to their cameras. A friend has been running two outdoors in a small mining town in Nevada. I can view them remotely knowing his DynDns alias and RTSP ports.

Thing is: Logitech stopped making them. Business decision.
Too bad as they worked well. There are a few left; but at over 3X the price.

Has anyone filled this void in the market with a similar product?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-20-2016 05:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

RE: Security Cameras
I realize this doesn't answer your question but if you have a old computer, you could use the free Linux security software package, ZoneMinder. This will allow a way of get local security to this area until a better solution comes along. This software rivals any commercial product I've seen for flexibility and it will operate with just about any type of camera. It even has an Android app for remote monitoring.

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
03-20-2016 06:04 PM
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

You can create a network over the power lines. As long as there isn't a transformer between your house and garage.

Here are some options:
http://www.cnet.com/topics/networking/be...-adapters/

If you need POE you can buy a POE injector. They are pretty cheap too.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2016 07:30 PM by AlanE.)
03-20-2016 07:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Phill Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto Set
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit F10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i, with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: unsure

Other Comments:

Sorry, got that wrong.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2016 12:32 PM by Phill.)
03-21-2016 11:20 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)

I think I can make this work with powerline network adapters to get signal from the garage to house over the powerline.
As AlanE suggested.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-21-2016 11:31 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
becker44a Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus Lg
CPAP Pressure: Rx 10 - 20cm, Usually 10-14cm

Other Comments:

(03-20-2016 05:43 PM)justMongo Wrote:  . . .
Thing is: Logitech stopped making them. Business decision.
Too bad as they worked well. There are a few left; but at over 3X the price.

Has anyone filled this void in the market with a similar product?

Hi Mongo,
We have been having good luck with Foscam brand cameras. They make a wide variety of indoor and outdoor, wired and wireless surveillance cameras, and are often cheaper than some competitors. Don't know how they might compare to the Logitech unit you were looking at.

Another note: If you were to decide to do wired connections, don't forget that ethernet is designed to be transmitted over UNSHIELDED twisted-pair cable, meaning that it should not be installed in ferrous conduit. Aluminum or plastic is just fine.

We also do quite a bit of work with Synology NFS units. and they make some models that are specifically enhanced for surveillance applications. All the Synology units will run the surveillance apps, but some models have hardware optimizations specific to this type of work.

A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
03-21-2016 03:05 PM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

Security Cameras
If you're making an IP based link, you can make a very good data link with the appropriate wireless adapters and a wired IP camera. In particular, a pair of Ubiquiti Nanostations will link with each other over a range of miles given a line of sight path. There are probably cheaper solutions, too.

A wired IP based camera may work better than the wireless models. Not really for technical reasons, but due to the "race to the bottom" nature of the wireless camera models.

Also watch out for the cloud based moron factor on IP cameras. A lot of the newer IP devices are crippled due to their design to work with their overly hyped "cloud based" design. There's so much hype about being cloud based that the #8&(@# things don't work right unless you hook them to the greater internet and the manufacturer's online servers.

You really want "configure and forget" for such a system.

It's really bad if you have to depend on the manufacturer's servers. It might not work if your internet is down. The servers may have outages, or get shut down by the manufacturer. They may "update" their software and not support your camera model, or require you to do a risky firmware update that may brick your camera or break compatibility with something you use. Or remove a feature you use. Or the new version only works with iPhone or Android. Or it now requires a fee.

You may also find a lot of garbage like the camera only works if you access it with a web browser running certain plugins, including garbage plugins like java. Or only with the manufacturer's software on your PC. You really don't want to be stuck with a certain piece of software or plugin. You could end up with an expensive setup where you can only access it if you run an old, insecure version of some piece of software.

It's like one government web site I needed to use. You could only access it if you had an old, outdated, insecure version of Java installed. It wouldn't work with the current version of Java. If you had to use that web site, you had to have a virus magnet PC.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
03-22-2016 08:57 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)

Some good thoughts there. I don't have line of sight. Wireless in either the 5 GHz or 2.4 Ghz band just won't make it through 5 walls and a distance of about 100'. Either I use the power line as a signal path; or I run cat5e. I could run cat5e along a fence to get there; but that route is about 250'.

I already have an NVR and cameras for the house that are wired through the attic space. They work well; but that NVR is fully populated.

So, a second system is in order for the garage/ driveway area. The NVR will record to a WD purple drive and output on an HDMI output.

03-22-2016 10:04 AM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

(03-22-2016 10:04 AM)justMongo Wrote:  Some good thoughts there. I don't have line of sight. Wireless in either the 5 GHz or 2.4 Ghz band just won't make it through 5 walls and a distance of about 100'. Either I use the power line as a signal path; or I run cat5e. I could run cat5e along a fence to get there; but that route is about 250'.

I already have an NVR and cameras for the house that are wired through the attic space. They work well; but that NVR is fully populated.

So, a second system is in order for the garage/ driveway area. The NVR will record to a WD purple drive and output on an HDMI output.

You can do Cat5/POE to one outdoor NanoStation, then CAT5/POE from another outdoor NanoStation to the garage. Can you run cable from each end to mutually visible outdoor mount points? If it's only 100 feet total, you might even be able to bounce the signal off something if you point both antennas at a nearby metal object both can see. Maybe even a metal fence.

There's nothing specific about the NanoStation, I'm just familiar with that device. About the size of a VHS tape, outdoor mountable, includes the radio and a fairly good directional antenna, especially if you're going between two NanoStations. There are other brands and models.

You do have to do some net-fu to set up the network to properly route through the devices. I haven't actually used them myself, but I do know a lot of people use them to extend a network.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
03-22-2016 03:36 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
stanleydean Online

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmart CPAP
Mask Make & Model: Drive Medical Comfort Fit Deluxe
Humidifier: Resmart
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: No downloadable software available for Resmart. Partial data available via icodeconnect.com

Good afternoon everybody, I believe those members posting to this thread would be able to answer a relatively simple question having to do with the surveillance camera system at my house. The four outdoor cameras are wired through the attic to a four channel DVR and displayed on a flat screen monitor in our home office. I want to add a monitor in the great room so the camera images can be displayed there also. The two rooms are separated by one masonry wall. Is there a reasonably priced wireless option for doing this? Due to the attic configuration and to the flexibility of a wireless connection this is the preferred option.

All help will be appreciated, Stan
03-24-2016 12:44 PM