Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: AirFit F10
Humidifier: System One Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 4-20 cm
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Sedating medications and apnea events
After using my machine for two months, I'm usually hitting AHI's under 1.0 most nights. Usually I don't take any medications, and use a neti pot before bed to keep my nose as clear as possible.

Last night, though, I was getting over a cold, my nose was in bad shape and I was concerned I wouldn't sleep well, so I took a 25mg Benadryl at bedtime. Seemed to sleep fine, but I noticed in SleepyHead this morning that my AHI was up to 3.46. Clear airway, flow limitation, RERA and Cheyne Stokes didn't change, but obstructive index was 5x normal, and hypopnea index was twice normal.

I realize that every now and then AHI's will go up and I'm not worried about this, just curious. Is it usual for this to happen with a sedating medication? It makes sense that if you're out more deeply your throat muscles might relax more and events could be generated. When I was first using the machine I used Chlortimetron (which has a milder sedating effect) a few nights for my nose and noticed a similar trend.
12-23-2014 10:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Terry Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips Respironics RemStar Auto with A-Flex (560P)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P/R Nuance & Pap Cap
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: Auto
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: Sedating medications and apnea events
(12-23-2014 10:24 AM)Dyssomniac Wrote:  It makes sense that if you're out more deeply your throat muscles might relax more and events could be generated. When I was first using the machine I used Chlortimetron (which has a milder sedating effect) a few nights for my nose and noticed a similar trend.

I have no idea about that particular med, but there are certianly all sorts of drugs that make apnea worse including alcohol and various narcotics.

Terry
12-23-2014 10:58 AM
Ghost1958 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS1 Series Sixty Auto Aflex
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: PRS1 with Heated Hose
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 min 16 max
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Moderate to Severe SA Obstructive. Rapid O2 desat off the machine.

I would hazard a guess that since OAs are due to tissue relaxing in your airway and falling closed that any med that made you sleepy or sleep more deeply than normal would worsen that tendency.
12-23-2014 08:45 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Jim Bronson Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Elite
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 9.2
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(12-23-2014 08:45 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote:  I would hazard a guess that since OAs are due to tissue relaxing in your airway and falling closed that any med that made you sleepy or sleep more deeply than normal would worsen that tendency.
OTOH, if a patient's body isn't relaxed, then it's not ready for sleep. If he/she can't relax for some psychological reason, then sleep is difficult. If a med can help the whole body, including the airway, relax, and the CPAP therapy can reduce OA events, then it should help the whole sleep process. For some patients, only a combination of CPAP therapy and the right meds constitute a complete sleep solution.
12-28-2014 12:20 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  2015 peer reviewed article on how xPAPs score events and auto algorithms respond robysue 1 79 Yesterday 07:48 PM
Last Post: Perchas
  Events way too high! sfrasher 22 1,178 11-22-2016 06:35 PM
Last Post: sfrasher
  Resmed MYAIR Events per hr results ressler76 6 1,531 10-01-2016 11:07 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  CA events I_will_never_sleep_again 3 294 09-23-2016 06:56 AM
Last Post: I_will_never_sleep_again
  How long until changes in blood tests or medications? NorthernGuy 11 746 09-04-2016 07:46 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  What is best way to decrease events? Lanco 4 525 08-31-2016 11:35 PM
Last Post: Lanco
  How To Tell How Long Events Are In SleepyHead? player 8 797 06-19-2016 08:41 AM
Last Post: pupcamper