Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Seeing more UA and CA - due to being sick or AFIB med?
RE: Seeing more UA and CA - due to being sick or AFIB med?
Well last night, was even better. AHI 1.16. Although my oximeter showed several sp02 dips to 80-82% for unknown reason. I can't get the sleephead chart to align properly. It is shifted to the right for some reason.

Only problem with the few OA/CA events I see, are they are rather long, 22-31 seconds each. Not sure if anything can be done about that.

[attachment=4490]
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
The CA clusters, night before last look obstructive to me in the close-up wave forms. Lots of flow limitation leading into the apnea and it just lacks central characteristics. The most recent night looks a lot better except for leaks. I think using the ergonomic pillow is a great idea, and I used to suggest it as an alternative to a soft cervical collar. It's all about airway alignment, so how you get there most comfortably is your choice. Your breathing is looking a lot better than when we first took a look, and your results are very good. Maybe the doctor will leave your tongue in one piece. Smile
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So my sleep doctor wants me to try an auto BIPAP, and he is going to load me one to pick up tomorrow. They said they would put the range from 4-16. I am hesitant at trying one. Can't BIPAP make CA's worse? My APAP range is 7-14, so not sure why they would start BIPAP so low. Is the range calculated differently with BIPAP?

I don't understand why they would set it so low starting at 4-16 on BIPAP. My APAP starts at 7 and even then i get apneas, until it reaches 10 sometimes.

I think I may hold off trying BIPAP, since last two nights have been okay, since I'm using my ergonomic pillow. My last AHI <2.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
As you know, you also need to work on your leaks with the f20 mask. as well as the link in my signature, there are lots of mask fit videos on youtube. If you still have trouble, mask a post about it.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
SpO2 desats to 80% and increased HR
Last night, my Contec O2 sensor alarm went off a couple times. SpO2 dropping to 80% during an apnea. And my HR increased too. But one time my HR went to 120 with no apneas.

A couple nights previously, I've seen my HR rise to 140bpm and 178bpm, but this was on my watch, and not my O2 sensor, so not sure how accurate it was. But those events did wake me up. I think the only reason my HR didn't rise higher, was the O2 Alarm was on, and woke me up this time.

I had that weird breathing pattern again in the first screenshot, during "CA" events.
[attachment=4527]

SpO2 desats and high HR..... Is high HR normal during desats?
Second photo, my HR went up for no reason at all.
[attachment=4528]

[attachment=4529]

[attachment=4530]
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
The SpO2 desaturations at 02:13 and 06:48 line up with OA and UA events respectively. Can't explain the heart rate spikes, but they seem to occur during periods of large leak, and might be an arousal.

As far as using BiPAP, you have used EPR at 3 and looking back at your results, you generally had less CA at higher EPR settings. After looking at what you have posted, I think your EPAP min is too low. We have never really seen a lot of central apnena from you, and no diagnostic or titration study has identified that as a problem; so that may not be an issue. I recall you used EPR of 3 back on post #27 and had a few, but they were mixed into a cluster of OA. That is hardly definitive of a CA problem. I think whatever therapy you use, you should target a minimum EPAP pressure of 8.0. So if you want to try EPR of 3 you would need a minimum pressure around 11.0. With EPR at 1, you still need a minimum pressure of 9.0 I understand what the doctor is trying to do, but you will choke on BiPAP at 8/4, and can't really see you at less than 12/8, and letting the auto BiPAP move up from there. I think you have obstructive apnea, and you have not really given the positional therapy a shot yet, so give it pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I just got back from picking up a BIPAP machine to try out. The therapist said the pressures were set at IPAP 8-16max and EPAP 4-12max. I told her I was concerned that it was starting so low, but she said the doctor reviewed my last sleep study, and set the pressure accordingly. She said the machine would auto-adjust. It sounds like I'm a guinea pig, or they just like to let the machine make all the adjustments.

Here is what my sleep study shows:
"CPAP failed to eliminate events. BiPAP was initiated at starting pressure 14/10 and titrated to final pressure of 16/12. The most appropriate setting is 14/10."

What else in positional therapy do you recommend? I already tried a collar, and now an ergonomic neck pillow while laying on my back. I can't sleep on my side anymore, as that made symptoms worse. I would wake up with massive heart palpitations and racing heart, while on my side. So my only choice is to lay on my back, and just use the neck pillow.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
I think that is what I said...12/8 is the absolute minimum that will work, and I would have no trouble with your titrated BiPAP result of 14/10.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
You still need your leaks sorted, or it will make setting up the machine harder for you.
I'm guessing there were other factors in the settings other than ahi. Just on an AHI basis, a min of epap 8, min ps4 giving min 12/8 would be right, going by sleepyhead. The 14/10 would possibly be for o2 or more tidal volume?

I'd be tempted to use the sleep study and set min epap 10, min ps4 and have the max epap and ps higher. Your o2 meter and sleepyhead will help you see the stats.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
First night with the BIPAP. Had some major leaks that I still need to work on. Not sure where the leaks are, since I didn't feel mask leaking. At least my O2 monitor didn't beep and wake me up tonight. 

I just hope my insurance doesn't see that I'm not using my original APAP, and stop paying for it, while I have this loaner. I got this BIPAP loaner through another sleep doctor/provider. My new sleep doctor said my insurance "Aetna" probably won't check to see if im using my original machine. But I'm still worried this may cause confusion with insurance.

[attachment=4537]
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,669 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Was sick for a while and didn't use my PAP machine for about two weeks. Now I find my JonZ333 1 366 01-16-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Sick and need to vent cps22 8 595 01-05-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cps22
  [Health] AFIB, APNEA, GERD, IPF bjnor 5 529 04-14-2023, 10:41 PM
Last Post: bjnor
  Cpap made me sick? koy23 5 951 12-21-2021, 03:08 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Sleep apnea and afib Respir8 22 2,963 05-13-2021, 07:44 AM
Last Post: kappa
Gross CPAP Made me well - sick. Asthma.Acne.Etc. dbw45 11 2,060 02-10-2020, 10:15 AM
Last Post: booksfan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.