Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Seeking confirmation if settings are correct
Seeking confirmation if settings are correct
I recently picked up a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset and have been tweaking it and wonder if there's anything else I could be doing.

I originally had a ResMed Airsense 10 CPAP set at 8.  The question is I'm noticing the pressure is maxing and should I increase it?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Seeking confirmation if settings are correct
You numbers look very good. The only part is the flow limits - quite a few. You could raise both numbers by 1 and see after a couple of days how your flow limits are.

Good job doing very well
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Your pressure is increasing in response to flow limitations which will probably be reduced by implementing EPR. I suggest you turn on full time EPR at a setting of 2. It should reduce the flow limitations and the few hypopnea and RERA. It won't hurt to increase the max pressure to 12 but it may not be necessary if EPR reduces the flow limitations significantly. Post OSCAR data after making a change and we can reevaluate.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Tks to both staceyburke and Melman for your prompt responses.

What I will do is start with the increase by one for both the min/max pressure numbers and EPR set at 2.

Will check in tomorrow with an update.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just remember for each value of the EPR setting (1,2,3) will reduce your exhale pressure setting by that value. So if you use an EPR of 2 and you want your exhale pressure to start at 8, you will need to set the starting pressure to 10. Pressure - EPR = Exhale pressure.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2020, 06:56 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Just remember for each value of the EPR setting (1,2,3) will reduce your exhale pressure setting by that value.  So if you use an EPR of 2 and you want your exhale pressure to start at 8, you will need to set the starting pressure to 10.  Pressure - EPR = Exhale pressure.

So if I have it right, set min pressure 10, max pressure 12 if using EPR 2?  I was considering in setting the EPR 2 with 8/10 knowing that if the min would reduce to 6 assuming that the min would return to 8 on inhale.  Am I wrong on this assumption?
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep in mind that with ResMed it is the EPAP or Exhale pressure that splints open the airway, nit the IPAP or inhale pressure.  The senior people factor this into their recommendations.  Also realize that we find many people are running higher pressure than they need to because they were set up as if Pressure or IPAP is the only too to manage everything.

EPAP is used to manage OA.
PS (or EPR) the difference between exhale and inhale pressure, treats Flow Limits, RERAs, Hypopneas, and UARS.  We use EPR more as a therapeutic tool, as PS, than we use it as a comfort feature.  We view the AutoSet as a BiLevel machine with settings of 1,2, or 3.  Below is a BiLevel 101 I keep around.

BiLevel 101:
Pure CPAP delivers a single constant pressure.  This pressure is what splints open the airway.  APAP (AutoSet) is what we prefer to see as it can vary the pressure to suit the situation.  For now, let's forget about APAP.

Basic BiLevel delivers two fixed independent pressures, EPAP is Exhale Pressure and is what actually splints the Airway open, It is the equivalent of "Pressure" in a CPAP and does the same thing.  
IPAP or Inhale pressure is the higher of the two pressures.  Once the Obstructive Apneas are resolved with the Exhale pressure (EPAP), IPAP is used to resolve hypopneas, flow limits, RERAs, and UARS.
The difference in these pressures is called Pressure Support or PS.  PS is always added to EPAP by convention to get IPAP so IPAP = EPAP + PS
FYI if you were to set the EPAP = IPAP you would have a basic pure CPAP functionally.
The above info is derived from Titration guides.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2020, 07:18 PM)elwoodpdowd Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 06:56 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Just remember for each value of the EPR setting (1,2,3) will reduce your exhale pressure setting by that value.  So if you use an EPR of 2 and you want your exhale pressure to start at 8, you will need to set the starting pressure to 10.  Pressure - EPR = Exhale pressure.

So if I have it right, set min pressure 10, max pressure 12 if using EPR 2?  I was considering in setting the EPR 2 with 8/10 knowing that if the min would reduce to 6 assuming that the min would return to 8 on inhale.  Am I wrong on this assumption?

The benefit of using Autoset mode is that your pressure will change automatically to stop events. Your current pressure settings are 7.0 to 9.0 with no EPR and your AHI is actually good, but your pressure is pegged at 9.0 due to the flow limits. I think we can just open things up a bit and start with a minimum pressure of 8.0, maximum pressure of 14.0 and use EPR full time at 2 or 3.  I think you wil find this very comfortable, and it will be interesting to see your feedback.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2020, 08:48 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 07:18 PM)elwoodpdowd Wrote:

The benefit of using Autoset mode is that your pressure will change automatically to stop events. Your current pressure settings are 7.0 to 9.0 with no EPR and your AHI is actually good, but your pressure is pegged at 9.0 due to the flow limits. I think we can just open things up a bit and start with a minimum pressure of 8.0, maximum pressure of 14.0 and use EPR full time at 2 or 3.  I think you wil find this very comfortable, and it will be interesting to see your feedback.

Sleeprider I did what you suggested with the EPR set full time at 2.  I noticed that the pressure is not topping out but have a few CAs.

Here is the image of my report including a sampling of two CAs:

Post Reply Post Reply
The results actually look pretty good for this. The flow limits are less than half, and there are improvements in respiratory volume, and the OA and RERA are gone. The few CA and H events should not be a cause for concern and will likely diminish as you become more accustomed to the increased respiratory flow. The event at 21:32:55 shows a sigh or larger breath ahead of the pause in breathing, and respiration appears a bit flow-limited as it resumes. The pause at 00:26:20 shows some flow limit coming into the event with a recovery breath or larger volume, and again respiration resumes normally. Both events are minimal duration and probably occur because respiratory needs were met by the larger preceding breath, and respiration resumes with normal rate and volume (no recovery breathing). That is a long way of saying, nothing to worry about. The more important metric here, is was this use of EPR more comfortable, and did it result in improved sleep?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eagerly seeking ancient CPAP part ! Visualist 3 301 03-12-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Visualist
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 216 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  Brain Fog - seeking guidance in optimizing my therapy deocder 42 5,378 02-20-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: deocder
  [Equipment] Seeking advice for reset of time zone richapple 0 195 02-03-2024, 11:43 AM
Last Post: richapple
Question Seeking Advice/Help reddie 6 390 01-24-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Hank68 Treatment Thread - Seeking Help and Support Please! Hank68 20 1,099 01-07-2024, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Hank68
  Another newbie seeking help tkblizard 6 558 01-05-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.