Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Seeking general help
Seeking general help
This is my initial attempt to learn how to navigate the Sleep Apnea Board Forum.

I am a senior with limited experience using online web sites.

I have a sleep apena doctor that I have met with nearly once each month during the past three years. At the doctors office, I first experienced a sleep study and it indicated I did have sleep apnea and soon I had a ResMed S9 device along with ResMed headgear and nasal mask, all supplied by American Home Patient. Since that time, I have experienced two additional in office overnight sleep studies due to my continued difficulties. During the three years I have tried many types of masks, from nasal pillow to full face.  Curently, I use a Phillips Dreamwear nasal mask that I like as well as a full face mask by Fisher & Faykel Healthcare.  I have used these products every night during the past three years never giving up through many nightly struggles. Much of the time I am comfortable, do sleep pretty well with about three wake ups per night and each time, I have a dry mouth from being forced to breath through my mouth. I have always slept while breathing through my nose. 

My computer card has produced monthly reports that always indicate as many as 15 to 20 events of breathing stoppage. Everyone who has tried to help me has meant well yet the results have not been satisfactory to anyone.  About a month ago, my doctor sent a request to the supplier justifing my use of a ResMed S10- device which has all new technology over the S9, principally for me, the ability to adjust air pressure during breath stoppage events. I may or may not receive this device using Medicare since my understanding has always been that a replacement device only occurres once each five years. I will purchase it for myself if it is rejected by Medicare.

I am 83 years of age. I have always experiencede seasonal allergy difficulties with my breathing. As I have aged, air quality in the vacinity of Dayton Ohio has decreased and with global warming and the abundance of rain, pollin count has increased drasticly along with particulate in the air that forces me to use a face mask during ourdoor activity as I care for our property, etc. It is a huge problem that has to be impacting on my CPAP experiences. Four inch pleated furnace and A/C filtration and the purchase of an air purifier has helped yet my problem breathing continues. It is my life these days and nights. 

Likely I have omitted reporting something here that would help someone to respond to this plea for a response from members of the Forum. If I am lucky and do read a response I would answer any questions that I did not cover here. I am grateful for this opportunity. Thank you. Carmon Marshall, [email address removed]. Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Seeking general help
Greetings Carmon. There are members of this forum with far more expertise than myself who will be able to help you; however, in order to do that they are going to wish to see data from your machine. In order for you to post data you will need to download a piece of free software called "Sleepyhead" onto your computer. Then you will need to use an SD card reader plugged into your computer to read the SD card that's generally inside your ResMed machine.

Step one. Look at the menu bar on the top of the forum for Sleepyhead. Click on this link to get to a place that will allow you to download the appropriate version of the software for your computer.

I'm skeptical that going from an S9 to an AutoSet 10 is going to be your answer, but more knowledgeable posters than I will help you understand what's going on. Do rely on them before spending any money or waging unnecessary battles for a new machine.

You will get help here.

Best,

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
Carmon, welcome to the forum. I look forward to helping you solve this problem and getting on the right path. Just a couple questions to start off. Do you have the S9 Autoset model or a fixed CPAP? If you have the Autoset, then it produces great data that can give us all the information we need to help you. The free #Sleepyhead software is the key to unlocking that information.

Second question is, do you have any significant health or medication issues that might affect your treatment? In particular, are you aware of any history of congestive heart failure?

That's it for now. I'm sure we can help you remove the confusion and get the help you need to get great results.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome!

Just so we're on the same page, since you mentioned it's new for you to go online to a forum... From the way you write, you're comfortable with computers, correct? If not, speak up about any of the tech-y stuff so we can make it easier to understand! Don't let a computer issue stand in the way of getting the help you need. Just sayin'.

People on here are used to being resourceful; I feel pretty confident that they can shed some light on your OSA situation.

Me? I'm just a newbie, but these folks are great!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Carmon,
Welcome to Apnea Board. This is a great first step to come here and get the help you need to be successful in your apnea therapy. Have a great day.

Dave B.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Carmon and Welcome to Apnea Board.

It is my understanding that Medicare generally pays for a replacement machine every 5 years. I don't have the same problems you have, but I recently paid out of pocket for a 'gently used' Airsense S10 Autoset for Her after having the S9 for 4 years. I hope you will stick around so that hopefully someone can help you figure out what might help you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Carmon, Like halfasleep said just ask and those of us that can help you we will jump in and help answer you questions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bill

I very much appreciate your reply, the actions you took on my behalf, and the security assistance you gave me. I learned from what you told me.

I am pleased to have you confirm what I have determined for myself concerning the S10 ResMed machine not necessarially being the answer for me. My answer may be my getting help with my alergies which have hampered my ability to use CPAP equipment. I took that action just this week seeing an anergist. I will begin alergy shots in about two weeks.

Thank you Bill. I will do what you have advised.

Carmon
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your reply.

I have no congestive heart difficulties. My known conflect with the use of these machines is allergies. Currently, for instance, here in the Miami Valley (Dayton area) Ohio, the pollen count is huge. From the age of about four, it was determined I am alergic to weeds, Kentucky bluegrass, and golden rod. About three weeks ago I had myself tested again taking advantage of new developements in the field. I have received three injections at this time. The first frost arrives here some time in October. I will still be building up amuninity with the shots. So, no help there for a while.  However, the help from the alergist may not be as important as I had thought, or the only answer for me.

The supplier of my CPAP supplies employs a man who first brought me my ResMed S9. It has the VPAP as well as CPAP capability. I started off using the VPAP then it was changed to CPAP at the request of my sleep center doctor. She has been orbiting around the issue of air pressure. She and her staff have proven to be deficient in understanding the ResMed S9 and the new Airsense Auto Set 10. Staying within the doctor's demands I not change my own air pressure setting, I was unsuccessful in interesting her in lowering the pressure to at least 8 down from 11. She lowered it to 9 about two months ago and this has not helped me. Here is my current situation.

I have always learned more and received more help from the man who initially came to my house with the S9. Recently, I was near giving up on the use of the equipment. I talked with him and I went to his office where he explained the Airsense 10 ResMed device. He has loaned me that device which I will have for about 2 to 3 weeks. He had it set at a range of 4 to 20 pressure. The device did not center on the best pressure for me on it's own. Discomfort such as ear pain and air expelling out of even my tear ducts resulting in headaches causing me to stop the machine and sleep on my own. Two nights of this and I messaged the supply provider man describing my experience. He accepted my request and from his office he changed the air pressure range to 4 - 12. Last night, I enjoyed my first nights sleep using the eqipment all night long, 10:25 total time duration. It is possible, my three year quest has ended.

I am sure, I have not provided enough information that would allow you to offer your advice for me.  For now, I feel there is a good chance I can continue using this type device and I will likely end up purchasing one of the Airsense 10's. I will ask the supplier if my S9 VPAP ResMed device will function similarially to the 10 at a pressure setting range of say 4 to 12 or lower, 4 - 10, or perhapst simply at 8. He will know what to do. I plan to work with him only from now on, bypassing the doctor to the extent that is possible.

Thank you for caring about others such as myself. I value your opinons.

Carmon
Post Reply Post Reply
Carmon, the S9 VPAP was capable of bilevel pressure, a higher pressure for inhale, and lower for exhale. Many people find this comfortable. If it was a VPAP auto, it was also capable of changing pressure as needed through the night, similar to an auto CPAP. When you doctor changed the machine to CPAP, she basically took away the lower exhale pressure, and I would think that may not have been as comfortable. We have no idea what the basis of that change was.

Your new Airsense 10 Autoset you have on loan is also capable of providing lower exhale pressure using a setting called Exhale Pressure Relief (EPR). This can result in exhale pressure up to 3-cm lower than inhale, so if your inhale pressure is at 11, the exhale could be as low as 8. It is also capable of changing pressure withing the range of settings. If only we could find a way for you to post your results, I think we could quickly recommend very comfortable and effective settings for you. If you find a pressure of 8 works well, then I would try a range of 6 to 10 on that machine, or 6 to 12 if you use EPR. Either way, 4 is too low, 20 is way too high.

Good luck in your quest for more comfortable sleep.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eagerly seeking ancient CPAP part ! Visualist 3 301 03-12-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Visualist
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 216 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  Brain Fog - seeking guidance in optimizing my therapy deocder 42 5,380 02-20-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: deocder
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 1,994 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  [Equipment] Seeking advice for reset of time zone richapple 0 195 02-03-2024, 11:43 AM
Last Post: richapple
Question Seeking Advice/Help reddie 6 392 01-24-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  General Issues Lusk 3 341 01-22-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: paulag1955

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.