Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Seeking help for my wife
Seeking help for my wife
My wife was in a head on car accident 25 years ago sustaining a frontal lobe injury. Her condition requires 2 sleep medications. One to induce sleep and one to help her remain asleep. She also needs a pain medication. Four years ago she had a sleep study that determined her AHI was low enough that a cpap would not benefit her. She did snore and have interrupted respirations. With prompting, she purchased a cpap that I believe is called a brick here on the forum. She stuck with it and it seemed to me to improve her outlook on things. This fall a friend loaned her an Airsense 10 autoset. Would someone have an idea which charts might be the best to post? It would be great if she could benefit even more. We are both noobies on here.  Thanks!
Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Seeking help for my wife
Welcome to the forum.

Order of charts
Events
Flow Rat
Pressure
Flow Limits
Leaks

This is discussed in the organization links in my signature
Post Reply Post Reply

Sorry, I wasn't able to select the charts individually.   Apology-2
Post Reply Post Reply
The biggest issue is the incorrect settings .EPR =3 is great but it doesn't have room to work. And as such your pressures are jumping all over the place.. always the giveaway are the default settings of starting at 4.

Set min pressure =7 and
Mas pressure =12

This will give the EPR full room to work. Repost and let's see how this does.
Post Reply Post Reply
Really amazing and uplifting to see or hear of people who voluntarily seek any form of pap machine based on knowing their own body.
Thank you.

Yeah, listen to Gideon, he will get you set right.
Post Reply Post Reply
        Thank you for the feedback! 
Here are charts from Dec. 8th and 9th. I followed Oscar Chart Organization to the degree that me and my laptop could comply. I can't locate screenshots using the f12 key. Am using Windows key and prt sc key. The calendar is not checked      in view, but it appears anyway.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I will let others with more knowledge and experience address the settings for you, but the charts highlight a common, but entirely fixable, issue: leaks.

Leaks must be addressed before any CPAP machine can work as intended. It is likely that the leaks are simply an ill-adjusted mask, user unfamiliarity, or both.

There is a trick to getting a full-face mask to fit securely, with minimum leaks. It takes most users quite some time to get the hang of this. It starts with using the correct size. I think there is guidance out there to help with sizing, but there are probably resources in this forum, too.

Once you have the correct size, you have to begin working on getting a seal and this is achieved by first checking the silicone or memory foam cushion is in good condition, with no damage and no deterioration. It goes without saying that starting with a brand new mask is the way to go.

Likewise, the 'head gear' (straps) should be new, with plenty of stretch but also strong. Headgear tends to be the first thing to fail with age and use.

Next you have to experiment with tension on all four straps. There is no hard and fast rule here. What works for one doesn't for another. essentially though, you're looking for even pressure with the minimum tightness consistent with sealing. Too tight can be just as bad as too slack, because the cushion when flattened can't conform to the face effectively.

Achieving and maintaining a good seal also requires some 'mask etiquette', i.e. practice to avoid dislodging the mask while sleeping. My technique is to avoid back sleeping (which itself can help with prevention of apneas and snoring) and then to use the right pillow. When side-sleeping, a tall marshmallow pillow will wrap around your face and might move the mask. More experimentation I'm afraid!

One your wife achieves minimum leaks, fine adjustment of machine settings can produce remarkable improvements, with the machine better able to detect and react to events.

I wish I could say "Just do this or that and she'll be right." but getting on top of CPAP is, to use the overused vernacular, 'a journey'. However, if she needs it and the side effects (yes, there are some) do not outweigh the benefits, then you're doing a good thing.

As we say here in Oz, "Goodonya!"
Post Reply Post Reply
Is the information in the profile for you or your wife?  What mask is she using?
Post Reply Post Reply
The profile to the left of my posts shows my machine and mask. On my first post with charts thumbnail #2 shows my wife is using an Airsense 10 autoset. Her mask is a Respironics Wisp cushion. Previously she had used a Respironics Nose Pillow mask, but we both believed she had more leaks with it. She sleeps on her side in an adjustable bed that is inclined significantly at the head. She uses a pillow. 
Her nose cushion is a new one, size small. Her previous had been a size large. Her headgear is a couple of years old. We are ordering new headgear. The second set of charts is with the min pressure = 7 and max pressure at 12. 
Everyone's help is much appreciated.
Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, now that we know she is using nasal cushions, and bearing in mind my comments about leaks still apply, you need to determine if she's mouth breathing, which constitutes a big leak rendering the machine pretty much powerless. If that's the case, and she doesn't/can't use a full face mask, she might have to use mouth tape or a chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eagerly seeking ancient CPAP part ! Visualist 3 301 03-12-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Visualist
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 211 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  Brain Fog - seeking guidance in optimizing my therapy deocder 42 5,376 02-20-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: deocder
  [Equipment] Seeking advice for reset of time zone richapple 0 195 02-03-2024, 11:43 AM
Last Post: richapple
Question Seeking Advice/Help reddie 6 390 01-24-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Hank68 Treatment Thread - Seeking Help and Support Please! Hank68 20 1,099 01-07-2024, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Hank68
  Another newbie seeking help tkblizard 6 558 01-05-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.