Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Seemingly Low contract rate for E0601
Seemingly Low contract rate for E0601
So, first of all, I'm very grateful to have found boards such as this. Insurance companies and Medical providers seem to deliberately work to keep patients in the dark.

I was actually diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea 4 years ago, but due to several insurance issues that took over a year to clear up, I was unable to follow through with followup study w titration and have remained untreated. Condition has seemed to get worse and I finally decided to tackle this again but I plan to be FAR more informed in all aspects, especially insurance coverage.

I've had an in-home sleep study and been asked to return for another in lab study with titration (95811). In preparation, I've been doing research on CPAP machines and 95811 Sleep Study to determine my insurance coverage. Luckily the study is 100% of eligible expenses, but the contract rate for E0601 with my insurance seems low at only $368.97 for the local DME. 

All the articles I've read seem to be from years ago and indicate far greater contract rates. I'm concerned that for $368.97, obtaining a decent data-capable machine may be extremely challenging. The ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet seems to go for over $800 on amazon alone. Am I missing something? Are there other codes that might tack on to this to bring the total reimbursement up for the DME?

Thanks

G
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Seemingly Low contract rate for E0601
E0601 is the code for all CPAP machines. Insurance pays the same whether you get a brick or a fully data capable machine like the Resmed Airsense10 Autoset. You need to be clear that you will not accept anything less. DMEs make more money by supplying bricks. If you can, get the Dr. to write the prescription for the machine you want.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure how your insurance works but with medicare they charge per month for 13 months. Depending on the state the CPAP is around $40.00 and than they add an extra charge of around $15.00 for the humidifier. So that would be around $715.00 total. The DME pays less than half that wholesale.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I checked again with my insurance company. They cover E0601 and E0562 for purchase (they do not require rental). I also had them compare a couple of different DME's contract rates and am AMAZED at the different contracted rates for the same code.

Location 1 
  E0601: $368.97
  E0562: ? (Forgot to ask on the first call)

Location 2:
  E0601: $1473.98
  E0562: $612.52

Location 3:
  E0601: $368.97
  E0562: $115.86

Location 2 is part of the same group that my provider is with. It's unfortunate that my experience with that provider has been less than ideal so far, but at least I can go into the conversation on what equipment I want knowing the details. Hopefully, I will be able to strong-arm the DME into providing the machine I want. This thing is likely to be part of my life for a long time... I'd rather get it right the first time.

G
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2018, 04:46 PM)Gaurhoth Wrote: Hopefully, I will be able to strong-arm the DME into providing the machine I want. This thing is likely to be part of my life for a long time... I'd rather get it right the first time.

It might not be necessary. Kaiser prescribed me an A10 Autoset **specifically**, rather than an APAP. But Kaiser is an HMO that is its own DME (but I don't have DME coverage...)

While the insurance reimbursement code may be the same for all CPAPs, I'm wondering if the *prescription*, a separate thing, can be brand and model specific since they are in my case.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2018, 04:46 PM)Gaurhoth Wrote: Location 2 is part of the same group that my provider is with. It's unfortunate that my experience with that provider has been less than ideal so far, but at least I can go into the conversation on what equipment I want knowing the details. Hopefully, I will be able to strong-arm the DME into providing the machine I want. This thing is likely to be part of my life for a long time... I'd rather get it right the first time.

G

Don't strongarm the DME get your doctor to specify the machine e.g. E0601 Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 3 40 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 240 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 116 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 857 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  flow rate and leak rate question sleepingbetterinFl 0 90 03-21-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.