Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Seemingly little correlation between EPAP (or PS) and AHI or flow rate. [UARS]
RE: Seemingly little correlation between EPAP (or PS) and AHI or flow rate. [UARS]
Adding PS Max may help give more power to combat CA.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Seemingly little correlation between EPAP (or PS) and AHI or flow rate. [UARS]
I raised minPS and maxPS by 0.5, and had a crazy night. I don't think I went a full minute without an event. I had alarms set from 7.45 so the rest of that time should be ignored.

So while the previous night apparently never raised PS past 6, last night it hit 12. So it needs to be even higher? 

I'm lost and confused to be honest. I can't see how a 0.5 increase caused 35+ AHI, specifically in the way that ASV is meant to treat too.

What settings should I try now? I'm thinking PS 16? Although something is clearly wrong considering the PS reported between both days. I can't imagine needing 5.5 one night then over 12 the next.

I've attached last night, the previous night again, and a zoomed view of the centrals/H events last night.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
With Central Apnea, yes pressure needs can change greatly per night. These CA are consistently inconsistent. Even so this isn't headed the right direction. It didn't appear your DreamStation SV Auto responded well or by much treatment. I'd return PS to something better looking.

I'm thinking out loud, does that have other modes like CPAP? Maybe lower pressure CPAP mode with low variability would be better than this trainwreck.

No offense but this DreamStation looks overwhelmed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Canyou go thru the machines menu and document every setting please.

What is happening at ps 3.5 is you are creating central Apneas. What I don't understand is why your machine is not treating them .
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2021, 12:11 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: With Central Apnea, yes pressure needs can change greatly per night. These CA are consistently inconsistent. Even so this isn't headed the right direction. It didn't appear your DreamStation SV Auto responded well or by much treatment. I'd return PS to something better looking.

I'm thinking out loud, does that have other modes like CPAP? Maybe lower pressure CPAP mode with low variability would be better than this trainwreck.

No offense but this DreamStation looks overwhelmed.

Looks overwhelmed? Even on the settings that got me to 1.8 AHI? What would the alternative be?

I tried CPAP, then BiPaP, poor results on both.
(08-20-2021, 03:08 PM)Gideon Wrote: Canyou go thru the machines menu and document every setting please.

What is happening at ps  3.5 is you are creating central Apneas.  What I don't understand is why your machine is not treating them .

That makes sense - I was planning to raise PS to treat my UARS that we couldn't figure out before, thinking that ASV was the solution. Could it just be that my max PS isn't high enough? 

As for settings:

Opti-start: Off
Max Pressure: 19.5
Epap max epap min: 7.0
PS max 12.5, PS min 3.5
BPM: OFF
Humidification: A
Humidifier: 2
Smart Ramp Off
Flex: None

Everything else is alarm related, smart ramp related, or to do with tube type or the mask. Did you want those too?
Post Reply Post Reply
Due to the high Central events, maybe BPM is breath per minute, as in backup rate. You may want that On and see what changes. If you do turn it on, I'm thinking there would open a rate value area. I'd need to look to see if it shows now on OSCAR what your respiratory rate is. That, if it is in fact respiratory rate, is probably a reason it doesn't respond as I'd think SV Auto should for the CA flags.

OK yes, the respiratory rate showing is from 0 - Minimum, 8 - Median, 16 - 95%, 17 - Maximum.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dave, I've attached what I think you're asking for, both nights. I don't really understand the impact of your edit - what does that mean for my treatment or settings?

I appreciate your patience teaching me. Sorry if I'm a bit slow with it all!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Respiration rate setting should make the SV Auto initiate breaths during Central based events, the reason this would help on Centrals is when your rate falls below the setting, it should initiate a breath by increasing PS.

With the rate I see, you probably want to try 8 or about there, likely not higher or it'll initiate too many breaths.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I understand what you're saying, but what am I setting to 8 sorry?
Post Reply Post Reply
No problem, I'd rather you know what I'm referring.

Go into your Clinician Mode and turn on BPM, then tell us what it changes. I believe returning BPM to On will then show a new setting line to input a number. I think you'll want 8 there. Ask here if you have need us to clarify.

If you choose, take a picture of that area in the Clinical Menu and attach it to a post via New Attachment.

PS there may also be an Auto setting under BPM.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 103 Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 98 Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 267 Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 992 Yesterday, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 243 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 315 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.