Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Seemingly little correlation between EPAP (or PS) and AHI or flow rate. [UARS]
RE: Seemingly little correlation between EPAP (or PS) and AHI or flow rate. [UARS]
Fantastic, I'll give it a look shortly but just to be clear, I should try to set BPM to 8, but if it says Auto then that's preferable instead of the 8?

And this should tell the ASV algo what to do when there's a central by defining when to breathe? 

If so, then that explains the bad two days.. and the good day where my PS isn't ever really high could have just been lucky with no centrals?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Seemingly little correlation between EPAP (or PS) and AHI or flow rate. [UARS]
Setting thoughts are correct. Set the BPM to Auto if available. 8 if it's not.

This should help make the SV Auto work on Centrals better. In theory anyway. Tell us in detail how it goes tomorrow.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
BPM: This screen allows you to modify the Breaths Per Minute setting. The Breaths
Per Minute setting is a back-up breath rate where there is a machine-
triggered breath to the patient within the defined timeframe per breath. You
can choose between Off, Auto, or 4 through 30. This setting only displays if
PS max is greater than zero.

From the provider manual
Post Reply Post Reply
OK good info, so it's as I'd thought. Then without that active, it's taking away the SV Auto backup rate ability that would work against Centrals.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2021, 09:52 PM)Gideon Wrote: BPM: This screen allows you to modify the Breaths Per Minute setting. The Breaths
Per Minute setting is a back-up breath rate where there is a machine-
triggered breath to the patient within the defined timeframe per breath. You
can choose between Off, Auto, or 4 through 30. This setting only displays if
PS max is greater than zero.

From the provider manual

(08-20-2021, 10:14 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: OK good info, so it's as I'd thought. Then without that active, it's taking away the SV Auto backup rate ability that would work against Centrals.

Thank you both! I've kept everything the same other than setting BPM to auto. Although I do wonder why you can even turn BPM off in ASV mode then, it seems rather counterproductive? 

Will report back tomorrow!
Post Reply Post Reply
Update. Timed breaths constantly, uptick in FL and H events, that looks terrible when inspected. But no CA events. 

Not really sure what to make of it. Attached full day, H/FL events, and a period of good breathing.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The machine is forcing breaths on you because BPM rate input is too fast. The 8 BPM was determined from a night with continuous central apnea... If you look at nights with good results your spontaneous respiration rate is 14-16. You should set BPM to 16.

Edit: I had a brain fart and went the wrong way, BPM should be at lower end of RR (titration guide says 2 under spontaneous respiration). So probably should use a setting of 12.

The examples you posted seem like the machine might be out of sync with breathing. Can you post them again with mask pressure graph instead of the overall pressure graph.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please confirm your BPM setting
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2021, 12:09 PM)Geer1 Wrote: The machine is forcing breaths on you because BPM rate input is too fast. The 8 BPM was determined from a night with continuous central apnea... If you look at nights with good results your spontaneous respiration rate is 14-16. You should set BPM to 16.

Edit: I had a brain fart and went the wrong way, BPM should be at lower end of RR (titration guide says 2 under spontaneous respiration). So probably should use a setting of 12.

The examples you posted seem like the machine might be out of sync with breathing. Can you post them again with mask pressure graph instead of the overall pressure graph.

(08-21-2021, 12:35 PM)Gideon Wrote: Please confirm your BPM setting

My BPM was set to Auto - not 8. Should I still set it to 12 then? 

I've attached same images with mask pressure. I'll make another comment after, replacing pressure with mask pressure.

Post Reply Post Reply
Alternative graphs for the above

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 105 Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 100 Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 269 Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 995 Yesterday, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 178 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 245 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 316 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.