Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Segmented Sleep - Fatigue During the day
RE: Segmented Sleep - Fatigue During the day
Hi Sleeprider

I dont really need to urinate, it is just an arousal. I really don't know how I can sleep through the night w/out that arousal.

In terms of my current min pressure should I decrease it ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gary

I have been struggling w my treatment since this past April.

Multiple different masks, nasal , full face 

I even tried a bi pap machine that did not work too well.

I did blood tests and only showed I had low vitamin D. I am now taking a supplement.

Basically, even though my AHI is UK under 5 I am still tiered, my goal is to sleep thought the night and wake up well reated.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a similar pattern of arousals for the first several months which gradually went away.  Now I get up about once a night, more because I am awake than I need to go.  So SleepRiders comment about habit could be spot on.  

You could try switching to straight CPAP at a bit over your 90% APAP pressure to see if pressure changes are part of what is disturbing your sleep.  You could investigate Periodic Limb Movement (PLM) to see if that is affecting you.  It would not show up on the CPAP data, but would in a sleep lab.  I am not sure if any home tests check for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2017, 12:29 PM)BlueJay22 Wrote: Hi Sleeprider

I dont really need to urinate, it is just an arousal. I really don't know how I can sleep through the night w/out that arousal.

I don't see this as a pressure problem.  If you want to go with a fixed pressure, that might be less distracting, and your pressure only changes by about 1.5 cm.  I'm not sure what reducing pressure would accomplish as it seems to be in an effective range of 9.2/6.2 to 11.6/8.6 with EPR 3.  You can certainly try 9.2/6.2 fixed and see if OA is increased.  Mostly what I'm trying to say is, when you have an arousal, don't let it upset you, or cause you to walk to the restroom, look at your phone, break therapy etc.  Occasional night time awakenings are normal.  Relax, enjoy the warmth, feel the sheets, enjoy the pressure, get more comfortable, close your eyes, and go back to sleep.   

It might help you to understand this is normal, if you read the articles on Busting the 8-Hour Sleep Myth Don't stress about it or make it a bigger problem than it is.  Some people have true insomnia, and I don't think that is you unless you allow these normal awakenings to disrupt your sleep.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeprider 

If I did was want to go w a fixed pressure, what would you recommend?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't decrease your minimum pressure, you are more likely to have more arousals if you do.
If you don't really need to go to the toilet, then don't, just put it off until you really need to, this will break any habit.
At low pressures you don't need much pressure relief if any, the lower/less you need the better.
The closer the lower pressure is the better to the higher one, 2 is quite normal, but if the gap is more you can get aroused when the machine raises pressure, but then you can if you stop breathing as well.
As for making sense of charts, I am not up to speed with that yet, so I would rather not comment.
My machine sits at 10 and it has so far got up to 11.8 with 0.0 AHI but normally it says 0.4 and 0.1 central.
I still waken up through the night, no reason why, but sometimes I feel I need the toilet, but I started refusing to go and just go back to sleep.
The amount of times I wake with this sensation has dropped. Before when I was on a CPAP I only work up with the sensation to go to the toilet when I needed to go and it was quite urgent, now I am on APAP I wake up a few times with the sensation I want to go, but it is not urgent, so I go back to sleep. If I wake up and the feeling is urgent, I go, otherwise I wait, it is beginning to settle down with the body waking me wanting to go to the toilet a bit less. Something about APAPs? No idea, but that is what happened to me.
Try it and see if it is just the body making mistakes when it is just aroused slightly, the brain thinks it is time for the toilet.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2017, 02:13 PM)BlueJay22 Wrote: Hi Sleeprider 

If I did was want to go w a fixed pressure, what would you recommend?

Thanks

The suggested settings are in the post above. 9.2 fixed with EPR 3.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2017, 01:58 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(10-28-2017, 12:29 PM)BlueJay22 Wrote: Hi Sleeprider

I don't see this as a pressure problem.  If you want to go with a fixed pressure, that might be less distracting, and your pressure only changes by about 1.5 cm.  I'm not sure what reducing pressure would accomplish as it seems to be in an effective range of 9.2/6.2 to 11.6/8.6 with EPR 3.  You can certainly try 9.2/6.2 fixed and see if OA is increased.  Mostly what I'm trying to say is, when you have an arousal, don't let it upset you, or cause you to walk to the restroom, look at your phone, break therapy etc.  Occasional night time awakenings are normal.  Relax, enjoy the warmth, feel the sheets, enjoy the pressure, get more comfortable, close your eyes, and go back to sleep.   

It might help you to understand this is normal, if you read the articles on Busting the 8-Hour Sleep Myth Don't stress about it or make it a bigger problem than it is.  Some people have true insomnia, and I don't think that is you unless you allow these normal awakenings to disrupt your sleep.
Wow

I read almost all the articles in that link on sleep myths!! 

I can't recall my entire sleep life except to say that I have always enjoyed my sleep and always had 'enough'. It was Sleep apnea(surprise, surprise) which started to cause me problems. However it was interesting to read that if you fell asleep immediately your head hit the pillow it is an indication you are sleep deprived which I clearly was during untreated apnea nights. I still awaken one or two times a night and at times fall back asleep after a trip to the loo but at times after some whatsapping. It does take longer to return to sleep when stressed I have to confess. 

My 'overview' sleepyhead charts show much fragmented sleep. Excepting for really long awakenings (2 or more hours) I do not feel sleep deprived during the days now. Now I shall not be distressed if I wake up for extended periods in hope that I fall back asleep again readily.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Low AHI but dizziness and fatigue with spikes of low O2 levels John94 8 1,108 01-01-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: PamVT41
  Low AHI still having extreme fatigue exchanged 2 586 11-15-2023, 07:16 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  Low daytime SPO2 and fatigue vpsdub 30 3,070 09-28-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: vpsdub
  Chronic Fatigue despite good CPAP and Oximetry statistics. MoldyBagel 2 647 08-27-2023, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MoldyBagel

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.