Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Selecting a full face mask
Selecting a full face mask
It's time to think about face masks. I have decided that the FFM is easier for me to control (leaks). So far I have only used the Quattro Air which was issued to me along with the Dreamwear. (too many straps, collars, tape, etc with the Dreamwear...although it is very comfortable otherwise).

I have been looking at the Resmed Airfit F20 and the Airtouch F20 and the Fisher Simplus.

I use a large cushion, have no beard or stach, and don't read or watch TV in bed.

So, are my choices OK...which is best...Am I missing a mask that I should consider? I can't try them all on over night, so what do the experts suggest??
Began APAP 11/28/17
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Selecting a full face mask
About PAP machines I am learning.  About this particular mask question I am pretty sure-

Full Face masks frequently create pressure sores on the bridge of the nose.  I have noted this is a common problem for many who use them.  I have used a F-20 AirFit (foam) that will cause that problem with me after a couple days use (it seals well for me). Have tried the gel pad and tape under it on the nose bridge but it does not help much. 

The masks with the forehead pad (such as the Quattro) stand-off from the nose bridge and help this problem.  I am currently using the old Quattro and it is the best for this problem so far.  In a couple weeks I am going to get a silicone seal for the F-20 to be sure it is not a remedy for the foam seal, which I know causes a pressure sore.  But I expect it to behave the same as the F-20 has no stand-off.

Nasal masks are out I assume for you as they are for me.  I just ordered a FitLife FF mask from supplier#26 to see if it will work for me.  I only did as they have a free 30 day return for trial and free postage shipment.  I ordered this Full Face mask to be sure it will not work for me.. hoping to be pleasantly surprised Unsure
Post Reply Post Reply
Not enough info to tell.
Post Reply Post Reply
Which is best will vary by individual as our faces are not the same. Some love the Amara View. It didn't work well for me.  I now use the Airfit F20 (silicone cushion) and it's great for me. I rarely have leaks and it's very comfortable, You may have to try several. Proper adjustment is critical. I suggest you read the mask primer in the link below before proceeding.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Like you, I gave up on nose-y masks. I should have done it way sooner.

I have tried several FFMs. I did so by purchasing return insurance from a vendor and trying them out.

The F20 runs small.

The F10 (which I settled on because it made the fewest leaks) is a few mm longer and wider than the F20, an important advantage for me.

I have way fewer leaks with FFM's than the nose-y masks. I do not have any pain or irritation.

------------

However, the FFM has made an ENORMOUS difference in my life.

Yeppers, the wide blast of humidity has made my hair super curly. Heck, I have ringlets. It's been my one big chance for having a totally new makeover with no cost to myself. And the compliments.... Bigwink

When I have a moment, I'll post before and after photos.

And that's not the only transformation.

Yeppers, for an even bigger, more impactful makeover (if that's even possible), I now have a large triangle of baby soft unwrinkled skin where the mask sits.

And, what ho, when I added a smidge of lanolin to my outer nose to keep itches from developing in the middle of the night, it made moisturized baby soft skin.

I have truly found the fountain of youth, or so I believe (at this moment). It's all about mask selection.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a Fisher and Paykel Simplus. The headgear is a year old and still going strong. It is easily removable with two clips at the bottom corners of the mask. I rarely move or release the Velcro. It has never given me sores, however it does leave a little redness on my cheeks near my nose. Lanolin has decreased the period of time for the minor irritation to disappear (20 minutes). Nothing that bugs me. It took me some time to fine tune the headgear to prevent leaks. It only leaks when I twist my face across the pillow, then I only recenter the mask on my face. I'm getting three months out of a cushion. I give it wash by hand with blue dawn dish liquid every other day or so. The swivel works well and the coupling and tube adapter are just right. Easy to disconnect but not loose enough to just come apart with accidental tugs on the hose. I'm pleased with my mask. Going to try a Quattro that the sleep lab is going to set me up with, just for fun and curiosity. I just found out they throw them away after they do a sleep study. Sometimes they get worn for less than an hour and I'm not a germophobe.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
I have the AirFit and AirTouch cushions for the F20. I use the AirFit more or less exclusively. The AirTouch leaked a bit too much for me, but it was more comfortable otherwise. I've still got the Respironics Amara View as well. Just an emergency backup now.

Direct answer: all that I've heard of the masks you mention, those that they work well for tend to love them.

Masks are best compared when tried out to determine the results. Of course, cost can limit that a lot. I'd almost gamble and tell you to try the F20. I'm guessing the best advice is read many reviews and if you could get your DME to allow you to try some to help. Oh yes, I forgot which supplier has an option to return masks in 30 days for I think a small fee.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ask your DME for a mask fitting, that your current mask is not working for you. Then try a sleep center and your doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried many ffm including the fitlife.

Simplus IMHO hands down.
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier #1 offers free return insurance on some masks. On others, you can buy return insurance.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 529 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,612 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 400 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 596 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.