Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Selecting first full face or nasal mask
Selecting first full face or nasal mask
I'm looking for advice on which masks I should try when I get my Airsense 10 Autoset on Wednesday.  The DME provider will be fitting me with a mask at that time, but I don't know how good they are at that, so am looking for suggestions based on my limited experience.

I used a Airfit F20 (L) in my titration lab study, and it was blowing out on each side of the mouth late in the night (seal was marginal even when I started with it).  Straps had to be quite tight to control that (test person came in and tightened them when I was mostly asleep).  I later tried my wife's Airtouch F20 (M) for a few hours with a similar though lesser problem (though that mask was a bit small).  These may be issues with the shape of my face or jaw dropping at night; I don't know.  Are there full face masks that I should test that might control this better?  I want to avoid a cervical collar or chip strap.

And, since I am not a mouth breather (as far as my wife or I know), would I be better off looking at a nasal mask?  I'm thinking of asking to try the N20.

I know that only trying masks will tell for sure, but thought I would ask for any suggestions based on leaks I have experienced so far.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Selecting first full face or nasal mask
Fit and comfort are key to success.  If the mask is wonderfully successful in sealing against your face but...……..you detest the mask for some reason, well, it's a bust.  The converse is also true.

In my case, I tried at least six masks.  I liked the AirFirt N20 nasal mask, a medium, and that is what I took home.  So far...…...so good almost six months later.  I'm still using that very nasal cushion.

You say you're not a mouth breather.  I'm generally not either, but I found out my mouth opens as I relax into sleep.  That made a gale of air come out of my mouth preferentially over the vent on the hose attached to the mask.  I was awake instantly.  Several times.  I now tape my mouth and seem to have untroubled nasal breathing as the cushion was designed to produce.

You'll have to go through this process of discovery on your own, but with helpful people offering insight and examples of what they have done to overcome the unforeseen.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BlueDragon75,
If you are considering a nasal mask, then be aware that you would have to be able to control your mouth breathing.  But if you are not a mouth breather, you should be able to use a nasal or even a nasal pillow mask.   I won’t give advice on masks to try, because I’ve only used a nasal pillow mask.

Here is a wiki article that may help you.  Good luck!  Finding the right mask is key to good therapy.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
BlueDragon75, I'm puzzled why you are looking at full-face masks and nasal masks if you aren't a mouth breather.  The nasal pillow (especially the P20) are reported as the lightest and most comfortable by folks who can tolerate that particular kind of fit.

I have to say that some folks hate the way the pillows fit, and I can appreciate their discomfort – when I first started using one, each of the sizes irritated my nares.  A lot.

Like you, I am averse to chin straps and cervical collars.  Also special pillows, and any other encumbrance.  But I've just started using a collar because my leaks were so large and frequent. <shrug>  You do what you hafta do.

So my suggestion is to check out the nasal mask – and take one home and use it if the feel/fit is good – and also check out and test the pillow mask.  As has been said, it's unique to you and what works great for me may be torturous to you.

Best wishes for a perfect fit, and please keep us posted on your progress!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2018, 02:33 PM)mesenteria Wrote: Fit and comfort are key to success.  If the mask is wonderfully successful in sealing against your face but...……..you detest the mask for some reason, well, it's a bust.  The converse is also true.

In my case, I tried at least six masks.  I liked the AirFirt N20 nasal mask, a medium, and that is what I took home.  So far...…...so good almost six months later.  I'm still using that very nasal cushion.

You say you're not a mouth breather.  I'm generally not either, but I found out my mouth opens as I relax into sleep.  That made a gale of air come out of my mouth preferentially over the vent on the hose attached to the mask.  I was awake instantly.  Several times.  I now tape my mouth and seem to have untroubled nasal breathing as the cushion was designed to produce.

You'll have to go through this process of discovery on your own, but with helpful people offering insight and examples of what they have done to overcome the unforeseen.

Addition: When I said I tried at least six masks, this was at the initial meeting when I was to be given a loaner machine and meant to try on, and to then trial, a mask or two.  I settled on the one that I found most comfortable and took the whole works home.  It was that first wretched night when I thought I was at the beginning of a long nightmare.  I phoned the supplier the next morning and told them about my experience.  They said either a strap or tape the mouth if the mask was otherwise a good fit for me.  I elected to start taping, and that has worked very well for me.  Many wouldn't do it because it seems dangerous or anxiety-inducing.

One other observation from reading so many threads here (very educational!!!): some folks have two different mask styles in case one begins to get annoying or seems not to be so efficient suddenly. I'm actually quite surprised that some alternate between a pillow or nasal mask and a full coverage mask.  The point seems to be that it's how THEY get a reasonably consistently good quality of sleep from week-to-week.  I add this because you must...MUST...be oriented to learning with an open mind when starting out, and then tweaking, your therapy.  It's YOUR therapy, and incumbent upon you to get by with it...somehow.  Keep an open mind, please.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2018, 03:04 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote: BlueDragon75, I'm puzzled why you are looking at full-face masks and nasal masks if you aren't a mouth breather.  The nasal pillow (especially the P20) are reported as the lightest and most comfortable by folks who can tolerate that particular kind of fit.

I have to say that some folks hate the way the pillows fit, and I can appreciate their discomfort – when I first started using one, each of the sizes irritated my nares.  A lot.

Like you, I am averse to chin straps and cervical collars.  Also special pillows, and any other encumbrance.  But I've just started using a collar because my leaks were so large and frequent. <shrug>  You do what you hafta do.

So my suggestion is to check out the nasal mask – and take one home and use it if the feel/fit is good – and also check out and test the pillow mask.  As has been said, it's unique to you and what works great for me may be torturous to you.

Best wishes for a perfect fit, and please keep us posted on your progress!

Thanks for the response (and thanks also to OpalRose for the link).  I was looking at full face masks because that was what is on the Rx, and also what I am used to seeing as that is what my wife uses.

I'll take a close look at nasal masks.  I'm a little uneasy about a pillow as my skin tends to be quite sensitive, but I'll give it more consideration.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2018, 03:04 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote: The nasal pillow (especially the P20) are reported as the lightest and most comfortable by folks who can tolerate that particular kind of fit.

The P20 sounds like a little wishful thinking. Laugh-a-lot
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just because it's begging to be said, with regard to the Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows, resistance is futile.

The Airfit P10 comes with all 3 nasal pillow sized. Don't assume your DME respiratory therapist has a clue about fitting you. Get all three sizes and decide which one works best. Most people find a size larger than they thought they needed is actually the right one. In over 10 years, I have never needed nor wanted a full face mask, and have always used nasal pillows in health or sickness. I have never experienced congestion that wasn't completely remedied by the pillows mask applying pressure to open the nasal passages.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried a BUNCH of different masks. I find the Airfit P10 the most comfortable mask all around. I need to tape my mouth shut though or I get mouth leaks. I use Somnifix tape. It works great!

Like you, I also have the Airsense 10 Autoset. I highly recommend you get the heated tube! Without it I was getting some wetness in the mask and nose. (Humidity setting 4) With the heated tube I don't get any wetness or irritation.

I tried five different full face masks. The new Dreamwear cushion one is by far the most comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2018, 06:25 PM)Walla Walla Wrote:
(06-10-2018, 03:04 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote: The nasal pillow (especially the P20) are reported as the lightest and most comfortable by folks who can tolerate that particular kind of fit.

The P20 sounds like a little wishful thinking. Laugh-a-lot

<innocent look> What, you think I'm dreaming?   Dielaughing

hmm...  Now that I think about it, there is a lot of room for improvement of the P10; I think ResMed will have to pay me a royalty on the P20.

now if I could just figger how to get my fat little fingers to reach the '1' key!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 514 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,076 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,584 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.