Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Self Titrating UARS - Need Help
RE: Self Titrating UARS - Need Help
Sorry, don't see how to edit my post. Wanted to add that my Mean SpO2 was 95.5%, and % time snoring was 2.1%.

[Edit: Funny, I can edit this post, but not the other one (no edit button on that one). Maybe because it's my first post? Anyway, thanks for your patience as I learn my way.]
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2019, 08:39 PM)JMB73 Wrote: Hi. I'm so new to CPAP that I haven't even started yet! I've ordered my equipment, hoping to receive next week. I've been doing a lot of reading, trying to learn as much as I can. This thread interests me because I may have UARS. From my home sleep test:

AHI: 3  RDI: 6

I have restless sleep, lots of arousals. No headaches, or dry mouth, but wake up (for last time) tired/exhausted, and chronic fatigue during day.

It sounds like I may end up having to look into a bi level machine, which is a bummer, because they are a lot more expensive, and I'm paying out of pocket. And I just bought an auto CPAP. My question is: once I start with the Resmed Airsense, and try different settings, how will I know if a CPAP just won't work and a bi level is needed? Will something show on the charts? Or is it a matter of how I feel? I guess the question is: how will you know if you need a bi level?

The Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset CPAP machine is the first choice for your situation.  As mentioned above, it provides limited bilevel pressure that normally resolves UARS for most people.  Please feel free to start your own therapy thread, and we can help. Meanwhile try to advocate to get a Resmed machine rather than a Philips Dreamstation.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Resmed Airsense 10 Auto For Her on the way. I'll likely start my own thread once I start my therapy, but I thought the answers to my questions could add to the discussion in this thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider Wrote:Nicko, if you are self-funding a PAP machine, consider getting the Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto. The true bilevel machine will fully resolve your UARS, while the Airsense 10 CPAP with EPR will likely help, but is limited to 3-cm of pressure support.  I have dealt with hundreds of members with the same problem you are experiencing, and can nearly always achieve much better comfort and results using pressure support, than using CPAP pressure.  I think a doctor that is not aware of the much greater efficacy available through bilevel pressure should reconsider advising UARS patients.  The worst machine for you is a Philips CPAP.  Your AHI would bloom with numerous hypopnea events and you would feel a lack of sync to your breathing rate.

Got a low hour Resmed AirCurve VAuto off of craigslist coming in 2-3 days.  Thanks for the SearchTempest tip

Back on Auto after 3 horrible nights sleep with HST. Will post some data later this week.
Post Reply Post Reply
New Data from last night, seem to still have the ugly flows.  I posted a couple instances I saw. If I'm missing anything please let me know. Any advice or just leave it at the 8-12 3 EPR setting for now....Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks a lot better than without the EPR. Flow limitation is not as severe.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider Wrote:Looks a lot better than without the EPR. Flow limitation is not as severe.

I'm still waking multiple times a night and still have brain fog.  Does this take a while to go away even with good pressures?

Am I correct in thinking it takes some time for the brain/body to adjust to the fact that it doesn't have to be on "high alert" and wake myself up with the possibility of my throat closing??

I currently sleep on my back (just my most comfortable position), maybe I should try switching to the side.  I started wearing one of those Dr Dakota chin pillows so that I don't tuck my chin in during sleep as well.

My AirCurve VAuto comes Monday.
Post Reply Post Reply
It takes time, and just do what feels most comfortable for you. Your results are good and will improve with the Vauto. I think you're going to start at EPAP min 6.0, PS 4.0, IPAP max 16.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2019, 09:42 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: It takes time, and  just do what feels most comfortable for you.  Your results are good and will improve with the Vauto. I think you're going to start at EPAP min 6.0, PS 4.0, IPAP max 16.

Finally got my vauto. Problem I have is how do you set the tmin tmax and trigger. Any idea on what to set that to? Is it based on your inspiration time? If I had to guess tmax would be 2.5 and I can keep tmin at any value below that
Post Reply Post Reply
The default values are a good start. TiMin 0.3, TiMax I'm kind of partial to between 1.8 and 2.2, but I need to look at your timing. Trigger and cycle to medium until we figure out a strategy for something different. Too many variables at once gets confusing. Our first goal is to work on a pressure range and PS
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 98 Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 993 Yesterday, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 634 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 203 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 81 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 203 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.