Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Self Titration - Scientific Study Confirms Apnea Board Approach
RE: Self Titration - Scientific Study Confirms Apnea Board Approach
There is nothing illegal about changing your prescribed pressure. Just like there's nothing illegal about altering the dosage of your prescribed medicine.

The issue is whether or not it's advisable to do so. And the answer is a personal choice. If you've studied up on it, understand the implications of making the adjustment, and have the desire to do so, then go for it.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The illegal part was a bit tongue in cheek. I know, not everyone appreciates my humor!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
What people in the US overdose on most is prescription hysteria. I've never figured out why a prescription is required for any OSA therapy, particularly CPAP equipment. What are they worried about? That we'll overdose on air?
Post Reply Post Reply
It is to control the market and justify the higher cost.

For example, I use a power wheelchair. The batteries are Group 24 deep cycle gel cell. If I go to a wheelchair place to buy them, they are around $500 to $700 each. I need two. But if I go to an auto store, they are usually less than $100. Same type of battery, just different market.

I used to have a huge honkin' van with lift and 6-way power driver's seat. The seat had issues and I wanted to replace it. From the modification dealer, it would have cost me over $3000 dollars, not including labor. But at the RV dealer, same seat functions, it would cost less than $300.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2012, 08:08 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: It is to control the market and justify the higher cost.

For example, I use a power wheelchair. The batteries are Group 24 deep cycle gel cell. If I go to a wheelchair place to buy them, they are around $500 to $700 each. I need two. But if I go to an auto store, they are usually less than $100. Same type of battery, just different market.

I used to have a huge honkin' van with lift and 6-way power driver's seat. The seat had issues and I wanted to replace it. From the modification dealer, it would have cost me over $3000 dollars, not including labor. But at the RV dealer, same seat functions, it would cost less than $300.

Good for you! I have always been a proponent of finding alternatives! It is criminal what they get away with, but at least you are resourceful enough to find ways around their greed!
Keep on keepin on!
Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2012, 08:08 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: For example, I use a power wheelchair. The batteries are Group 24 deep cycle gel cell.

That's your electricity back up for your CPAP machine!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep. I keep the old ones whenever I can. Depends on their life span and what the 'core' charge is. I have an old, old set in a cabinet in the bedroom.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2012, 08:08 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: It is to control the market and justify the higher cost.

I have suspected this all along. I expect it from the manufacturers, but apparently they have the doctors in line with them. My doc is great about letting me figure things out on my own and is almost apologetic about the prescription thing. I suppose she can't take that position with every patient, though.

Still it galls me that apparently the majority of the medical practitioners go along with the scam.

I've long hated the prescription game. I live in a city where I don't need a prescription to buy heroin. Why should I need it for CPAP stuff? Wait ... I did buy my CPAP machine on the street. Never mind.

Next week I will be in Tijuana for a couple days. I intend to do some serious shopping for CPAP stuff. I'll have my prescription with me, but I can guarantee you that no Mexican supplier will ask for it. Mostly I'm looking for price advantages and maybe masks and stuff that are not sold in the US.

I might add that Fisher and Paykel has a huge respiratory equipment manufacturing facility that they buit there about a year ago. I'm trying to find out if they have factory tours, or better yet, a refurbished outlet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2012, 11:46 PM)JJJ Wrote: I have suspected this all along. I expect it from the manufacturers, but apparently they have the doctors in line with them.

I would disagree. I don't think there is any sort of collusion, I just think that by and large the docs don't typically care as long as they get their pound of flesh. Granted, there are exceptions to every rule, but being with an HMO I have found some really bad doctors working side by side with some really great ones. It takes a lot of work to separate the wheat from the chaff! And there always seems to be more chaff!

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2012, 11:46 PM)JJJ Wrote: Still it galls me that apparently the majority of the medical practitioners go along with the scam.

I don't think they have much choice. If they want to practice medicine they pretty much have to go along with the insurance company regulations. Insurance companies also influence very strongly the laws. This is probably the greatest flaw in the US medical system.

Our doctors should be required to post a list of the fees they charge for their services, and let the customers shop like we would for any commodity. Of course, the insurance companies would fight any legislation designed to move towards this type of system. They want to be able to control prices, and so far they've been pretty good at doing just that.

Doctors understand this and realize that it's a necessary part of practicing medicine in the US.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 228 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 612 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 144 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.