Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10
RE: Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10
(03-18-2015, 11:47 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Good grief.

1. "Someone could hack my cpap machine!" So what? There really isn't anything there that they can fool with that will kill me. It might inconvenience me, or screw up a nights sleep or something, but that's about it. So if someone's greatest desire in life is to find out what my ahi results are? Well, ya coulda just asked me. But nooooooooooo you picked me out of what, maybe a million or so cpap users to futz with? Ok. Have your way with me, but first I'm gonna go by a lottery ticket.

2. "I don't like Resmed, etc. monitoring me." How about "google?" or "yahoo," or "Microsoft." Problem with those? They know a heck of a lot more about you than Resmed or anyone can learn from monitoring or hacking your cpap machine. Why aren't you pulling the cord to your computer connections if this is a concern.

3. "My DME might change stuff without telling me." Just for the fun of it I suppose, because why else would they go to the trouble of giving you the time of day and risk their business while they're at it? It's not like, as a general rule, they do that when you call them up for help or assistance.

4. Most compelling of all to me is "Wow, I've got this nice new machine. Like all nice new machines there will be updates to it's software or firmware. Perhaps very important updates. I won't get those because I keep my modem disabled/turned off. Ha ha! The jokes on them!"

All very true, but don't forget that the machine isn't the only thing they can hack. In fact, to hack your machine they need to know the cell number the modem answers to.

So first they would have to hack the machine manufacturer's web site and database. But if they can do that they can get all the information they want from them without hacking your machine.

Me? I'm willing to live with the possibility!
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2015, 11:47 AM)retired_guy Wrote: 3. "My DME might change stuff without telling me." Just for the fun of it I suppose, because why else would they go to the trouble of giving you the time of day and risk their business while they're at it?

Without trying to create an argument, I will suggest that a DME that notices you have changed your prescription pressures on your own, may feel it is their responsibility as a part of their monitoring to return the pressures to your prescription until the doctor provides concurrence with a new prescription.
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep in mind Resmed sends out firmware updates through the modem. It might be worth being able to turn on the modem from time to time.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2015, 11:55 AM)on the virge Wrote: Without trying to create an argument, I will suggest that a DME that notices you have changed your prescription pressures on your own, may feel it is their responsibility as a part of their monitoring to return the pressures to your prescription until the doctor provides concurrence with a new prescription.

No argument with that. That has occurred in the past. By less than "Patient friendly DME's" A situation easily solvable by telling them if they continue to futz with your equipment you will make them go away with one phone call.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2015, 11:57 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Keep in mind Resmed sends out firmware updates through the modem. It might be worth being able to turn on the modem from time to time.

The legality of that in the US is questionable as federal law prohibits installation of software on a computing device without the owner's express consent. So without prompting for your authorization for such an update it would seem to be illegal.

As for me and google, M$, etc., I don't use google or any "social networking", I run my own mail and web servers on my own firewalled network and I won't allow anyone remote access to my medical device either.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2015, 12:23 PM)wp6529 Wrote: As for me and google, M$, etc., I don't use google or any "social networking", I run my own mail and web servers on my own firewalled network and I won't allow anyone remote access to my medical device either.

I think Hillary may want to talk to you. Big Grin
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2015, 10:16 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Sleep87,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

Thank you very much!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2015, 11:07 AM)sgearhart Wrote: Sleepy87,
Good job. I noticed that Resmed recently pushed a software update via the modem for the AS10. It's a shame you can't make that external connection for occasions like that.

Thank you very much!

<mild snark>
I don't suppose ResMed has published a change log showing what's new in the update?
<\mild snark>

It is a shame that there's not an easy-to-use switch. I suppose I could wipe data then reconnect the modem occasionally to try to pull updates. ResMed could have made it easier. :grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
Nobody has mentioned the harmful microwaves that the modem gives off. That's why I will disconnect mine. Thanks for the instructions.

I bet is would be easy to cut the wires and hook up an external switch that would allow me to turn it on and off mechanically.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just received my machine today, and I know it is a REMstar that is data recording/transmitting.

I haven't cracked into the box to get actual model number.

BUT my DME and my sleep doctor make it a requirement that the modem be ON. The recorded data is transmitted to the doctor's office and the DME. It is considered noncompliance to shut it off during the 90 days. After that, I have a metal wire trash can I can put over it (Faraday cage). I probably can get in trouble after the 90, who knows..

My insurance requires this, and since mine is a rental (ugh), I have no choice. It is also a requirement of my DME and doctor. I will get punted from the doctor's practice.

I guess I could get a different doctor and pay straight up cash, but their is no way I can afford that now.

I was so worried about getting a brick, and now this thing is almost over kill.

So newbies check if it is an insurance, DME and doctor's requirement if you can't shut it off. If my machine doesn't transmitted once during a week (90 days), the DME will call me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 351 42 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,717 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,763 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 227 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,173 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 213 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.