Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10
RE: Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10
(03-18-2015, 12:23 PM)wp6529 Wrote: As for me and google, M$, etc., I don't use google or any "social networking", I run my own mail and web servers on my own firewalled network and I won't allow anyone remote access to my medical device either.

So how is the campaign going, Ms. Rodham?

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2015, 11:55 AM)on the virge Wrote:
(03-18-2015, 11:47 AM)retired_guy Wrote: 3. "My DME might change stuff without telling me." Just for the fun of it I suppose, because why else would they go to the trouble of giving you the time of day and risk their business while they're at it?

Without trying to create an argument, I will suggest that a DME that notices you have changed your prescription pressures on your own, may feel it is their responsibility as a part of their monitoring to return the pressures to your prescription until the doctor provides concurrence with a new prescription.
My Guess is they have better things to do than stock your machine, If you needed them to change something they can if you direct them to.
Let's give them some credit or get a new DME.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2015, 11:52 AM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(03-18-2015, 11:47 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Good grief.

1. "Someone could hack my cpap machine!" So what? There really isn't anything there that they can fool with that will kill me. It might inconvenience me, or screw up a nights sleep or something, but that's about it. So if someone's greatest desire in life is to find out what my ahi results are? Well, ya coulda just asked me. But nooooooooooo you picked me out of what, maybe a million or so cpap users to futz with? Ok. Have your way with me, but first I'm gonna go by a lottery ticket.

2. "I don't like Resmed, etc. monitoring me." How about "google?" or "yahoo," or "Microsoft." Problem with those? They know a heck of a lot more about you than Resmed or anyone can learn from monitoring or hacking your cpap machine. Why aren't you pulling the cord to your computer connections if this is a concern.

3. "My DME might change stuff without telling me." Just for the fun of it I suppose, because why else would they go to the trouble of giving you the time of day and risk their business while they're at it? It's not like, as a general rule, they do that when you call them up for help or assistance.

4. Most compelling of all to me is "Wow, I've got this nice new machine. Like all nice new machines there will be updates to it's software or firmware. Perhaps very important updates. I won't get those because I keep my modem disabled/turned off. Ha ha! The jokes on them!"

All very true, but don't forget that the machine isn't the only thing they can hack. In fact, to hack your machine they need to know the cell number the modem answers to.

So first they would have to hack the machine manufacturer's web site and database. But if they can do that they can get all the information they want from them without hacking your machine.

Me? I'm willing to live with the possibility!

Ed,
Nice reply......Let's live on the wild side Smile
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2015, 02:27 PM)player Wrote: Thanks for the instructions.

I bet is would be easy to cut the wires and hook up an external switch that would allow me to turn it on and off mechanically.

You are most welcome.

Assuming one is handy with wiring, yes, it does look like that would be easy. If you wanted to be especially clever, you could even do it without cutting any wires at all. The connector appears to be a Molex Pico-EZmate - you could build a little harness with a plug on one end, a socket on the other, and your switch in the middle. Connect it up between the modem card and the main board. Presto: a hardware modem switch.
Post Reply Post Reply
Re: Getting hacked

I suspect it's unlikely anyone will go out and try to hack your CPAP machine in particular, because it's not that profitable. However, sometimes the computer criminals do sometimes do something just "for fun." With all the CPAP machines hooked into central servers, someone might hack into the central servers and hack into all the CPAP machines at once.

Depending on how the data connection is done, the CPAP machines might be useful as some sort of "botnet." i.e. take over the computer in the CPAP and use it to forward illegal data or send attacks over the internet.

There might be some sort of "ransom" plot against the manufacturers. Such things are getting more and more common.

Someone might hack into the servers that collect the data on general principles and cause some collateral damage, but that doesn't seem too likely to mess up the CPAP other than having your data not get collected.

It is getting more and more common to have self propagating "worms" like Stuxnet that do try to take over non-traditional computer types. It seems a bit unlikely this sort of thing would take over CPAP, but they might use some sort of common development system and could get hit.

I'm not terribly worried about the above, but it's not impossible.

There's a good possibility that they'd hack the servers and steal your personal data from the servers. Want to be that the DME we all love to hate would store all your personal data and your credit card info on their computers unencrypted and poorly secured?

I still suspect the biggest risk is that the manufacturer would push out a buggy update and break some machines. Microsoft has sent out buggy updates at least 3 out of the last 6 months during their monthly "patch Tuesday."

Re: DME's changing your settings

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. It wouldn't be at all surprising for ClownCar National DME to screw up and send setting updates to the wrong CPAP machine.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they start automatically checking the settings and "correcting" any "errors." This might not even be intended to undo changes made by users. They probably buy into the idea that users don't know how to change their own settings.

Re: Big brother

Well, big brother is already collecting license plate data in many places. How long is it before BB catches on that he can use CPAP data to keep an eye on the peasants? Let's collect the CPAP data and do statistical analysis. Was he in bed at the time of the crime? Who has a pattern of being up at the same time as this other suspect? Can we automatically check CPAP data for everyone with a CPAP machine and take away their drivers license if they don't comply?

How about divorce cases, and car accident lawsuits?

Re: Prescription blackmail

The medical mafia is big on prescription blackmail. You're may need need some particular medication for the rest of your life, but your doctor won't give renew your prescription unless you come in and get some expensive te$t$ and an office vi$it every x months. Might they decide that they'll disable the CPAP machines if you don't get your yearly checkup? After all, it's a prescription device, and it's illegal to use it without a valid prescription, isn't it?

It wouldn't surprise me if they change the CPAP machines at some time in the future to be ONLY programmable by computer or wireless and lock all of us evil CPAP hackers out of the system.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I love Paranoia in the spring time
I love Paranoia in the fall
I love Paranoia in the winter when it drizzles
I love Paranoia in the summer when it sizzles

I love Paranoia every moment
Every moment of the year
I love Paranoia, why, oh why do I love Paranoia
Because.
Post Reply Post Reply
Kinda glad I have a s9Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2015, 02:27 PM)player Wrote: Nobody has mentioned the harmful microwaves that the modem gives off. That's why I will disconnect mine. Thanks for the instructions.

There is no evidence whatsoever that the radio frequencies used by cell phones cause any harm to the human body.

Even if there were the cell phone modem in your machine will put thousands of times less RF into your body than a cell phone held hear your head because radiation follows a square root law.

Let's say a cell phone puts out five watts. And let's assume that all of that 5 watts goes into your brain (which it won't, because how would it reach the cell tower?)

Say the cell phone is 1" from your brain and the modem is ten feet away, or 120 inches. 120 squared is 14,400 So it will put 5/144000 watts or .00003 watts at most into your body.

If you want to worry about that feel free. But your nearby 100 watt light bulb will heat your brain tissue a lot more, and it even puts out a small amount of U.V. radiation which is known to hurt the human body.

Me, I ain't staying up nights worrying about it.Sleep-well
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2015, 05:39 PM)retired_guy Wrote: I love Paranoia in the spring time

Next thing you know, we'll be paranoid about

Using your credit card at places like Home Depot or Target.
Using your credit card at gas pumps.
Security holes in our home computers.
Rogue web sites.
Office cleaning crews sticking USB drives into computers to hack them.
Using your bank's ATM machines.
Clicking links in e-mails.
E-mails from your bank telling you to log into a web site and log into your account.
Public wifi hotspots.
Security of your medical and personal information at your insurance company.
The NSA listening in on our phone calls without a warrant.
Our phone companies helping them.
The government listening in on cell phone calls without warrants.
The government scanning our houses with infrared cameras.
Hackers breaking into our internet connected baby monitors.
Brand new computers containing malware.
Phony vaccination workers collecting DNA for the government.

Don't worry, the big corporations know what they're doing and will take care of you.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2015, 11:15 PM)archangle Wrote:
(03-18-2015, 05:39 PM)retired_guy Wrote: I love Paranoia in the spring time

Next thing you know, we'll be paranoid about ....................

Yep, why just today I got a call from a very nice person from the Windows department who said my computer had a virus. But he said he'd fix it for me. Nice guy.

.....I love Paranoia in Summer, when it sizzles----

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 474 3 hours ago
Last Post: Old Steve
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,828 9 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 620 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,810 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 229 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,186 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 216 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.