Mask Make & Model: Resmed A10
Humidifier: Resmed A10 Autosset
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: It's a... mad world...

Sex: Male

RE: Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10
(03-18-2015 06:10 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:  
(03-18-2015 02:27 PM)player Wrote:  Nobody has mentioned the harmful microwaves that the modem gives off. That's why I will disconnect mine. Thanks for the instructions.

There is no evidence whatsoever that the radio frequencies used by cell phones cause any harm to the human body.

Even if there were the cell phone modem in your machine will put thousands of times less RF into your body than a cell phone held hear your head because radiation follows a square root law.

Let's say a cell phone puts out five watts. And let's assume that all of that 5 watts goes into your brain (which it won't, because how would it reach the cell tower?)

Say the cell phone is 1" from your brain and the modem is ten feet away, or 120 inches. 120 squared is 14,400 So it will put 5/144000 watts or .00003 watts at most into your body.

If you want to worry about that feel free. But your nearby 100 watt light bulb will heat your brain tissue a lot more, and it even puts out a small amount of U.V. radiation which is known to hurt the human body.

Me, I ain't staying up nights worrying about it.Sleep-well

There is all kinds of evidence microwaves are bad. The cell industry has hired the same big tobacco lobbyists to confuse and delay the public.

Radiofrequency energy is a form of electromagnetic radiation.

I choose not to smoke, eat off plastic, and keep a cell phone at my head every night I sleep. Maybe there is not "much" risk. Won't matter to me, because my modem will be unplugged thanks to this thread.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2015 04:57 AM by player.)
03-19-2015 04:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
k_ogre Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: airsense a10 autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: airfit p10
Humidifier: airsense
CPAP Pressure: 11-8
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

There is all kinds of evidence microwaves are bad. The cell industry has hired the same big tobacco lobbyists to confuse and delay the public.

Radiofrequency energy is a form of electromagnetic radiation.

I choose not to smoke, eat off plastic, and keep a cell phone at my head every night I sleep. Maybe there is not "much" risk. Won't matter to me, because my modem will be unplugged thanks to this thread.

don't forget to get rid of your phone, TV, microwave, car, computer, lights, radio and make sure that foil hat fits
03-19-2015 05:15 AM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

(03-19-2015 05:15 AM)k_ogre Wrote:  There is all kinds of evidence microwaves are bad. The cell industry has hired the same big tobacco lobbyists to confuse and delay the public.

There are a lot of things modern science doesn't understand. This isn't one of them. Low levels of microwave or other radio exposure do not cause harm. They're pretty much harmless unless the energy level is high enough to cause heating of the tissue.

This has been disproven far, far, FAR, more thoroughly than the questions about smoking, leaded gasoline, climate change, and a number of other issues that are still subject to debate.

You can expose people or animals to far higher levels of radio waves 24/7 with no apparent effects than you ever get from a cell phone. It's like being worried that one drop of coffee a day will cause cancer when millions of people drink two pots a day.

Every so often some does a badly designed, preliminary, or faked experiment and claims to have found some effect of microwave or radio wave exposure. The results are usually extremely minor and of little statistical significance. Once well designed studies are done, the results disappear.

Unfortunately, the bad science gets front page headlines and goes into all the nutjob books and websites. The retractions never make the front page and never get mentioned by the nutjobs.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
03-19-2015 06:25 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
k_ogre Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: airsense a10 autoset
Mask Make & Model: airfit p10
Humidifier: airsense
CPAP Pressure: 11-8

Other Comments:

we listen to the nutjobs because they entertain us some people just don't get the joke
03-19-2015 06:34 AM
Sleep87 Offline

Members-b

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ..
Humidifier: ..
CPAP Pressure: ..

Other Comments:

Photos showing some key bits of the process have been posted to a similarly-titled thread on another CPAP board. (Why on earth can't I name the other discussion board? Massive moderation fail.)

I had wanted to add the photos to the first post here, but it looks like I can no longer edit that post. So if you want the latest updates and pictures, look for them elsewhere.
03-19-2015 04:14 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
eseedhouse Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: SimPlus
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 7-10

Other Comments: Also on supplemental O2 at 3L/min. while sleeping.

(03-19-2015 05:15 AM)k_ogre Wrote:  There is all kinds of evidence microwaves are bad.

Fine - feel free to refer us a study in a reputable peer reviewed scientific journal. One which has preferably been replicated with the same results at least once.

Quote:The cell industry has hired the same big tobacco lobbyists to confuse and delay the public.

Can you name one of these people? Can you name a particular company and what position this tobacco lobbyist occupies?

I am perfectly willing to change my mind when presented with persuasive evidence. So far I've seen none from you but the research I have done has presented me with a lot of evidence for the contrary position. As a Ham radio operator I am interested in knowing that my hobby is safe.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

I am neither a Doctor, nor any other kind of medical professional.

Actually you know, it is what it isn't.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2015 05:13 PM by eseedhouse.)
03-19-2015 05:04 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Quote: (Why on earth can't I name the other discussion board? Massive moderation fail.)

The other forum (if it is the one I am thinking of) cannot be mentioned because it's name is part of a DME. The forum software blocks it automatically. We've tried to fix it but it's just not possible. It is not a moderation fail (we aren't that good nor fast), it's a software win that got excited and does its job too well.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-19-2015 05:07 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Any website or forum that is owned or operated by a commercial Durable Medical Equipment Supplier (DME) is considered a commercial entity, and therefore links to such websites and forums are not allowed per our forum rules. We must have this rule to maintain Apnea Board's legal status as an educational website and forum. This educational status is what allows us to freely distribute copyrighted CPAP Clinician Setup manuals under the "Fair Use" sections of U.S. Copyright Law.

If you'd like more info, please review the forum rules which also includes the Commercial Links Policy that every member was supposed to read upon registration.

Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

03-19-2015 06:22 PM
player Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed A10 Autoset For Her
Mask Make & Model: Resmed A10
Humidifier: Resmed A10 Autosset
CPAP Pressure: 11-16

Other Comments: It's a... mad world...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBVJ05u_o5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJib5GHxOsE

I find the older generations that I am encountering on the apnea forums have a very different attitude towards health risks than younger gens. the older gens scoff and ridicule the messenger. It is as if they buy the rhetoric of the corporations and heckle anyone who has a fresh look at harmful chemicals, food additives, microwaves etc. A completely different attitude, and it reminds me of my parents.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2015 02:29 PM by player.)
03-21-2015 02:18 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

(03-21-2015 02:18 PM)player Wrote:  I find the older generations that I am encountering on the apnea forums have a very different attitude towards health risks than younger gens. the older gens scoff and ridicule the messenger. It is as if they buy the rhetoric of the corporations and heckle anyone who has a fresh look at harmful chemicals, food additives, microwaves etc. A completely different attitude, and it reminds me of my parents.

One could argue that the reluctance of some of the young bucks to embrace new technological advancements could be construed as making them the recalcitrant ones.

Being that I am of the "older generations" I can assure you that I have never, in my long and industrious life, have ever, not even once, purchased a rhetoric.

As to the harmful chemicals, food additives, etc.... It is the young bucks that invented all that crap that we old folks must endure.

So why should we not be the ones to ridicule and scoff at all the young buck ideas of a good time? I mean, it's not like we have anywhere else to be.
03-21-2015 02:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question ResMed AirSense 10 Badjo17 26 2,508 12-04-2016 09:30 AM
Last Post: Arnie51
  Is this sound normal? - Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset Ronberta 8 1,271 11-29-2016 07:59 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  [Equipment] ResMed Airsense 10 Quit Working SherrieR 4 253 11-26-2016 07:51 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
Angry Resmed Airsense/Telstra 2G wireless kerput JamesW 2 214 11-24-2016 11:08 PM
Last Post: JamesW
  ResMed Airsense 10 Auto Set...Runaway Pressure Abnormal86 14 569 11-22-2016 11:39 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  [Pressure] new airsense 10 new at this abrun7 7 517 11-19-2016 02:12 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [CPAP] ResMed AirSense 10 makes loud noise when inhaling. sanger 86 30,289 11-17-2016 09:14 PM
Last Post: comphelp