Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Unsure
Humidifier: Unsure
CPAP Pressure: 8
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
RE: Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10
I am surprised nobody mentions the real issue with automatic reporting of compliance data. Once that data is in the open, it can be used against you by health insurance agencies, government, etc.

I once had my life insurance refused because I casually mentioned to my family doctor that I tend to remove my mask during the night, so I don't use the CPAP regularly. The life insurance company called my doctor and use that information against me. Image how much worse this can be if the doctor has compliance information all the time without asking for your permission.

Also, in some countries certain professions require compliant use of a CPAP if one is diagnosed with apnea (such as professional drivers). If compliance information is sent to the doctor automatically, and you are a professional driver involved in an accident, the government could subpoena ResMed to get your compliance information, and use that against you.

So why go through such legal and insurance risk when the doctor can so easily get your information with your permission via an SD Card? It blows my mind!
07-27-2016 01:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
ger365 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PR Dreamstation DSX500T11
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Dreamwear
Humidifier: Dreamstation
CPAP Pressure: 7-15
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: Contec CMS50i

(07-27-2016 01:57 AM)g7adrian Wrote:  I am surprised nobody mentions the real issue with automatic reporting of compliance data. Once that data is in the open, it can be used against you by health insurance agencies, government, etc.

I once had my life insurance refused because I casually mentioned to my family doctor that I tend to remove my mask during the night, so I don't use the CPAP regularly. The life insurance company called my doctor and use that information against me. Image how much worse this can be if the doctor has compliance information all the time without asking for your permission.

Also, in some countries certain professions require compliant use of a CPAP if one is diagnosed with apnea (such as professional drivers). If compliance information is sent to the doctor automatically, and you are a professional driver involved in an accident, the government could subpoena ResMed to get your compliance information, and use that against you.

So why go through such legal and insurance risk when the doctor can so easily get your information with your permission via an SD Card? It blows my mind!

+1 Thinking-about
07-27-2016 11:33 AM
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

My DME doesn't look at my data anymore since I own my machine now. Unless the doctor pays them, they don't care. They'll give me a survey if I try to order anything from them.

Do you still use your CPAP every night
How do you feel using CPAP
etc...

I haven't heard squat from my sleep doctor. I guess she figures I'm doing a better job at monitoring my own therapy than they will put the time in to doing.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
07-27-2016 07:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
wubisnotanabbreviation Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed Aircurve 10 vauto
Mask Make & Model: ResMed
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10/6
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Every breath you take, they'll be watching you.

Sex: Undisclosed

(05-10-2016 08:45 PM)AlanE Wrote:  You just have to look at all the devices now including a wifi component. Cars, Light bulbs, door locks, remotes, alarms, cameras, kitchen appliances, laundry appliances. How many of these IoTs were rushed to market without any kind of security.

Um, the lack of security isn't because they are in a hurry, it's because they want to keep the tech support calls down, since they cost money. Lately, wifi routers are coming with security enabled by default, but for years they were shipped wide open. The biggest problem is that the average user doesn't have the faintest idea how security works, nor why it might be a good idea. And it isn't in the best interest of the government or business to educate them about why it is essential.

We're in for some really epic fails... I hope that those of us who are desperately trying to sit this one out aren't dragged down at the same time.
07-27-2016 07:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question ResMed AirSense 10 Badjo17 25 2,259 12-02-2016 11:02 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is this sound normal? - Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset Ronberta 8 1,200 11-29-2016 07:59 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  [Equipment] ResMed Airsense 10 Quit Working SherrieR 4 221 11-26-2016 07:51 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
Angry Resmed Airsense/Telstra 2G wireless kerput JamesW 2 183 11-24-2016 11:08 PM
Last Post: JamesW
  ResMed Airsense 10 Auto Set...Runaway Pressure Abnormal86 14 519 11-22-2016 11:39 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  [Pressure] new airsense 10 new at this abrun7 7 479 11-19-2016 02:12 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [CPAP] ResMed AirSense 10 makes loud noise when inhaling. sanger 86 29,970 11-17-2016 09:14 PM
Last Post: comphelp