Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10
RE: Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10
(03-18-2015, 01:44 AM)k_ogre Wrote:
(03-17-2015, 10:36 PM)wp6529 Wrote: I consider it a pretty big security risk, not just letting your data out, but also the likely hackability of the device and what could be done that way. I don't have my xPAP yet (couple weeks probably), but I'm looking at the S9 and avoiding the 10s for this issue as well as I like the modular design of the 9 over the 10.
really do you have internet? cell phone ? those can be hacked 100 time easier than your a10 can and can get 1000 times more data. you should think about the fear you put in peoples head with your unfounded hack paranoia.( how many proven hacks on a apap) the modem helps your care givers to get up to date info on your health if you don't trust your medical team get a new one.

I work in the IT world and see the daily attacks on pretty much anything that is remotely accessible. As I noted much of the concern is with the probable hackability of what is essentially a life support device and has the potential to kill someone if used maliciously. There has been plenty of discussion of this issue by various IT security experts as it relates to other "connected" medical devices such as pacemakers, ICDs, insulin pumps, etc. It's a very valid concern and hacks on such devices have been demonstrated at security conferences.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's a very valid concern
no it's not just people spreading panic to make money.
medical devices such as pacemakers, ICDs, insulin pumps
really? how many cases can you post?
as a "IT" person would know that to hack anything you 1st need to access it (ok cell modem but what # or numbers it's not likely a standard cell #)
password not the hardest thing
how about the os ? what ever you pull is junk with out the os
and the most important why ? just for kicks ? not likely just nothing in return again they would just hack your phone it's 100 times easier and has useful data.so dump you net and phone and stop putting fears that can harm in people head.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2015, 11:02 PM)big_dave Wrote: I wouldn't do this on a rental machine. The DME may consider it breach of contract due to malicious damage. Only do this if you own the machine outright.

One nice thing about this technique is that it is reversible. If you want to return the machine to the vendor, you can plug the modem back in. Most likely, though, you'll be renting-to-own. In a few months, the DME vendor's opinion won't matter at all.

In the meantime, the effect is the same as if you (successfully) kept the machine on airplane mode 24/7: the only way for the DME vendor to get your data is if you deliberately give it to them (on an SD card).
Post Reply Post Reply
A quick search on "security risks of connected medical devices" will provide plenty of valid results, including from the FDA and a nice article in a medical device manufacturer magazine which references the hack demonstration at a conference.
"it was not until Jay Radcliffe demonstrated a potential attack through the wireless interface of a patient-worn insulin pump that awareness of medical device security issues “exploded,” prompting a U.S. Government Accountability Office inquiry into medical device security issues"
Post Reply Post Reply
While the debate about hacking continues, the situation that bothers me most is that the DME can use the modem to change my settings without getting in touch with me first. The CPAPer should have easy control of whether the modem is enabled or not. If a change is required then the CPAPer should be advised and asked to enable the modem, similarly for reporting compliance data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, where I live it could be considered a privacy issue. My DME does not have the right to read my data without my permission. Why is there no upload disabling switch. Also, why do does one need to be a "clinician" to set the time twice a year?

As a patient, I find this level of assumed ineptitude extremely patronizing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleep87,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepy87,
Good job. I noticed that Resmed recently pushed a software update via the modem for the AS10. It's a shame you can't make that external connection for occasions like that.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2015, 04:46 AM)k_ogre Wrote: roving gangs of "CPAP hackers"

Hackers of any type are hardly noted for their "roving". I suspect most of them spend about 18 hours a day in their bedroom in their parent's basement. Unsure
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Good grief.

1. "Someone could hack my cpap machine!" So what? There really isn't anything there that they can fool with that will kill me. It might inconvenience me, or screw up a nights sleep or something, but that's about it. So if someone's greatest desire in life is to find out what my ahi results are? Well, ya coulda just asked me. But nooooooooooo you picked me out of what, maybe a million or so cpap users to futz with? Ok. Have your way with me, but first I'm gonna go by a lottery ticket.

2. "I don't like Resmed, etc. monitoring me." How about "google?" or "yahoo," or "Microsoft." Problem with those? They know a heck of a lot more about you than Resmed or anyone can learn from monitoring or hacking your cpap machine. Why aren't you pulling the cord to your computer connections if this is a concern.

3. "My DME might change stuff without telling me." Just for the fun of it I suppose, because why else would they go to the trouble of giving you the time of day and risk their business while they're at it? It's not like, as a general rule, they do that when you call them up for help or assistance.

4. Most compelling of all to me is "Wow, I've got this nice new machine. Like all nice new machines there will be updates to it's software or firmware. Perhaps very important updates. I won't get those because I keep my modem disabled/turned off. Ha ha! The jokes on them!"

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 495 5 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,849 Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Last Post: her.suit
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 621 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,840 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 230 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,203 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 218 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.