Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10
RE: Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10
(03-18-2015, 06:10 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(03-18-2015, 02:27 PM)player Wrote: Nobody has mentioned the harmful microwaves that the modem gives off. That's why I will disconnect mine. Thanks for the instructions.

There is no evidence whatsoever that the radio frequencies used by cell phones cause any harm to the human body.

Even if there were the cell phone modem in your machine will put thousands of times less RF into your body than a cell phone held hear your head because radiation follows a square root law.

Let's say a cell phone puts out five watts. And let's assume that all of that 5 watts goes into your brain (which it won't, because how would it reach the cell tower?)

Say the cell phone is 1" from your brain and the modem is ten feet away, or 120 inches. 120 squared is 14,400 So it will put 5/144000 watts or .00003 watts at most into your body.

If you want to worry about that feel free. But your nearby 100 watt light bulb will heat your brain tissue a lot more, and it even puts out a small amount of U.V. radiation which is known to hurt the human body.

Me, I ain't staying up nights worrying about it.Sleep-well

There is all kinds of evidence microwaves are bad. The cell industry has hired the same big tobacco lobbyists to confuse and delay the public.

Radiofrequency energy is a form of electromagnetic radiation.

I choose not to smoke, eat off plastic, and keep a cell phone at my head every night I sleep. Maybe there is not "much" risk. Won't matter to me, because my modem will be unplugged thanks to this thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is all kinds of evidence microwaves are bad. The cell industry has hired the same big tobacco lobbyists to confuse and delay the public.

Radiofrequency energy is a form of electromagnetic radiation.

I choose not to smoke, eat off plastic, and keep a cell phone at my head every night I sleep. Maybe there is not "much" risk. Won't matter to me, because my modem will be unplugged thanks to this thread.

don't forget to get rid of your phone, TV, microwave, car, computer, lights, radio and make sure that foil hat fits
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2015, 05:15 AM)k_ogre Wrote: There is all kinds of evidence microwaves are bad. The cell industry has hired the same big tobacco lobbyists to confuse and delay the public.

There are a lot of things modern science doesn't understand. This isn't one of them. Low levels of microwave or other radio exposure do not cause harm. They're pretty much harmless unless the energy level is high enough to cause heating of the tissue.

This has been disproven far, far, FAR, more thoroughly than the questions about smoking, leaded gasoline, climate change, and a number of other issues that are still subject to debate.

You can expose people or animals to far higher levels of radio waves 24/7 with no apparent effects than you ever get from a cell phone. It's like being worried that one drop of coffee a day will cause cancer when millions of people drink two pots a day.

Every so often some does a badly designed, preliminary, or faked experiment and claims to have found some effect of microwave or radio wave exposure. The results are usually extremely minor and of little statistical significance. Once well designed studies are done, the results disappear.

Unfortunately, the bad science gets front page headlines and goes into all the nutjob books and websites. The retractions never make the front page and never get mentioned by the nutjobs.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
we listen to the nutjobs because they entertain us some people just don't get the joke
Post Reply Post Reply
Photos showing some key bits of the process have been posted to a similarly-titled thread on another CPAP board. (Why on earth can't I name the other discussion board? Massive moderation fail.)

I had wanted to add the photos to the first post here, but it looks like I can no longer edit that post. So if you want the latest updates and pictures, look for them elsewhere.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2015, 05:15 AM)k_ogre Wrote: There is all kinds of evidence microwaves are bad.

Fine - feel free to refer us a study in a reputable peer reviewed scientific journal. One which has preferably been replicated with the same results at least once.

Quote:The cell industry has hired the same big tobacco lobbyists to confuse and delay the public.

Can you name one of these people? Can you name a particular company and what position this tobacco lobbyist occupies?

I am perfectly willing to change my mind when presented with persuasive evidence. So far I've seen none from you but the research I have done has presented me with a lot of evidence for the contrary position. As a Ham radio operator I am interested in knowing that my hobby is safe.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote: (Why on earth can't I name the other discussion board? Massive moderation fail.)

The other forum (if it is the one I am thinking of) cannot be mentioned because it's name is part of a DME. The forum software blocks it automatically. We've tried to fix it but it's just not possible. It is not a moderation fail (we aren't that good nor fast), it's a software win that got excited and does its job too well.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Any website or forum that is owned or operated by a commercial Durable Medical Equipment Supplier (DME) is considered a commercial entity, and therefore links to such websites and forums are not allowed per our forum rules. We must have this rule to maintain Apnea Board's legal status as an educational website and forum. This educational status is what allows us to freely distribute copyrighted CPAP Clinician Setup manuals under the "Fair Use" sections of U.S. Copyright Law.

If you'd like more info, please review the forum rules which also includes the Commercial Links Policy that every member was supposed to read upon registration.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBVJ05u_o5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJib5GHxOsE

I find the older generations that I am encountering on the apnea forums have a very different attitude towards health risks than younger gens. the older gens scoff and ridicule the messenger. It is as if they buy the rhetoric of the corporations and heckle anyone who has a fresh look at harmful chemicals, food additives, microwaves etc. A completely different attitude, and it reminds me of my parents.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2015, 02:18 PM)player Wrote: I find the older generations that I am encountering on the apnea forums have a very different attitude towards health risks than younger gens. the older gens scoff and ridicule the messenger. It is as if they buy the rhetoric of the corporations and heckle anyone who has a fresh look at harmful chemicals, food additives, microwaves etc. A completely different attitude, and it reminds me of my parents.

One could argue that the reluctance of some of the young bucks to embrace new technological advancements could be construed as making them the recalcitrant ones.

Being that I am of the "older generations" I can assure you that I have never, in my long and industrious life, have ever, not even once, purchased a rhetoric.

As to the harmful chemicals, food additives, etc.... It is the young bucks that invented all that crap that we old folks must endure.

So why should we not be the ones to ridicule and scoff at all the young buck ideas of a good time? I mean, it's not like we have anywhere else to be.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,748 1 hour ago
Last Post: her.suit
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 412 3 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 615 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,776 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 228 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,179 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 216 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.