Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10
RE: Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10
I am surprised nobody mentions the real issue with automatic reporting of compliance data. Once that data is in the open, it can be used against you by health insurance agencies, government, etc.

I once had my life insurance refused because I casually mentioned to my family doctor that I tend to remove my mask during the night, so I don't use the CPAP regularly. The life insurance company called my doctor and use that information against me. Image how much worse this can be if the doctor has compliance information all the time without asking for your permission.

Also, in some countries certain professions require compliant use of a CPAP if one is diagnosed with apnea (such as professional drivers). If compliance information is sent to the doctor automatically, and you are a professional driver involved in an accident, the government could subpoena ResMed to get your compliance information, and use that against you.

So why go through such legal and insurance risk when the doctor can so easily get your information with your permission via an SD Card? It blows my mind!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2016, 01:57 AM)g7adrian Wrote: I am surprised nobody mentions the real issue with automatic reporting of compliance data. Once that data is in the open, it can be used against you by health insurance agencies, government, etc.

I once had my life insurance refused because I casually mentioned to my family doctor that I tend to remove my mask during the night, so I don't use the CPAP regularly. The life insurance company called my doctor and use that information against me. Image how much worse this can be if the doctor has compliance information all the time without asking for your permission.

Also, in some countries certain professions require compliant use of a CPAP if one is diagnosed with apnea (such as professional drivers). If compliance information is sent to the doctor automatically, and you are a professional driver involved in an accident, the government could subpoena ResMed to get your compliance information, and use that against you.

So why go through such legal and insurance risk when the doctor can so easily get your information with your permission via an SD Card? It blows my mind!

+1 Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME doesn't look at my data anymore since I own my machine now. Unless the doctor pays them, they don't care. They'll give me a survey if I try to order anything from them.

Do you still use your CPAP every night
How do you feel using CPAP
etc...

I haven't heard squat from my sleep doctor. I guess she figures I'm doing a better job at monitoring my own therapy than they will put the time in to doing.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2016, 08:45 PM)AlanE Wrote: You just have to look at all the devices now including a wifi component. Cars, Light bulbs, door locks, remotes, alarms, cameras, kitchen appliances, laundry appliances. How many of these IoTs were rushed to market without any kind of security.

Um, the lack of security isn't because they are in a hurry, it's because they want to keep the tech support calls down, since they cost money. Lately, wifi routers are coming with security enabled by default, but for years they were shipped wide open. The biggest problem is that the average user doesn't have the faintest idea how security works, nor why it might be a good idea. And it isn't in the best interest of the government or business to educate them about why it is essential.

We're in for some really epic fails... I hope that those of us who are desperately trying to sit this one out aren't dragged down at the same time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know this is a old thread but I have a question if anyone can answer. Has Resmed made any updates to software since this thread started?

My concern is not security but getting a bad download is. I've had a few downloads from windows over the years that messed things up.
It was easy to fix the computer. Trying to fix a messed up software download on a ResMed machine would be a nightmare.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Most updates normally have a SHA1 or MD5 hexadecimal number for download verification. You can see an example of this on the #SleepyHead download page. There are several free validation programs available.to compare the downloaded program's calculated value and compare it to the published value. If they don't match then the download is corrupted.

I'm providing a link to one that will work on most common checksums:
MD5 and SHA Checksum Utility
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson Nape, Thanks for the download. The problem I was talking about was having ResMed sending a update over their wireless modem without warning. No way to screen the download there.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I split off the conversation about the Spain/EU modem. It can be found here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...o-EU-modem
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I hope Sleep87 doesn't mind if I repost here the four photos from elsewhere that were supposed to go along with the instructions in the original post of this thread. Matching photos to instruction steps is left as an exercise for the reader.

(larger images behind thumbnails; my upload to pixhost.to just now)

[Image: 88943659_a10-modem-disconnection-1.jpg] [Image: 88943661_a10-modem-disconnection-2.jpg] [Image: 88943664_a10-modem-disconnection-3.jpg] [Image: 88943666_a10-modem-disconnection-4.jpg]

The operation is pretty quick & easy if you have the right plastic spudger.  One that I found works well has a flat (not rounded) tip that's slightly hooked. The width doesn't matter much. The one I have is 5/16 inch but wider is OK.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,713 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 342 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,760 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 227 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,173 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 213 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.