Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10
RE: Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10
Odd curious question: can the modem be turned "off" but not really be off?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2018, 10:46 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Odd curious question: can the modem be turned "off" but not really be off?

A very good question, because that happens 100% of the time with modern cellular phones: the supposed "Off" switch is designed not to do what it apparently does. But with the CPAP & ASV machines so far, we're safe. The "Airplane mode" is intended to comply with FAA regulations, shutting off all RF transmissions from the device. With the Air10 series, if you go one step further and disconnect the modem internally, that's guaranteed to do it semi-permanently (but you can open it up again later and plug the connector back in if you want to; there's no permanent damage).

As others have mentioned, doing the surgery on an A10 that you don't own will be frowned on by your DME and/or insurer.

Users of "Airplane mode" will want to know about the A10's low-power mode, which you switch on by holding down the start/stop switch for a few seconds until the screen goes blank. If you use that, then you only have to see the firmware's airplane-mode nag screen once every 24 hours, when you tell the machine to exit low-power mode by pressing the start/stop switch again.

TMI? HTH, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
Now that makes more sense when we add in the FAA regs and airplane mode. Thanks.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Probably worth mentioning that disabling the modem will prevent your device from receiving firmware updates.
Post Reply Post Reply
How often has a Resmed firmware update happened? Once?
Post Reply Post Reply
About firmware updates, first of all I have to agree with Sleep87 a while back:
(03-18-2015, 01:33 PM)Sleep87 Wrote: <mild snark>
I don't suppose ResMed has published a change log showing what's new in the update?
</mild snark>

From a wearisome number of years spent in the computing industry, I have a strong aversion to being told "Ve vill decide vhat is best for you!" by manufacturers, software/firmware developers, etc. Sure, it's probable that I would want the firmware update installed, after I had read the change log. But I would never want it installed silently behind my back. That's sleazy behavior on the part of the manufacturer.

But yeah, most patients will want it, even if it's silent ... maybe especially if it's silent. So most patients should think twice before disabling the modem. I'm glad I'm not most patients and I only have to think once. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2018, 01:43 PM)Dog Slobber Wrote: Probably worth mentioning that disabling the modem will prevent your device from receiving firmware updates.

Well as far as I'm aware, the firmware updates are more rare than a $3 bill. I think we're safe to believe that firmware that may arrive, won't be missed, as I will assume that firmware activity would not be a minor issue and should be advertised in some way. Firmware for CPAPs is not like cell phones, where every so often new firmware arrives. Reiterate, CPAP firmware is a very rare item.
Post Reply Post Reply
OTA firmware upgrades I'm aware of are:
  • Bugfix to address a bug where static electricity is interpreted as a climate line air fault and turns the humidifier off.
  • Feature to add Standard and Soft response to AutoSet
  • Feature to add RERA detection

I think the humidifier bug fix is pretty important, as well as knowing that disabling the modem disables the updates.
Post Reply Post Reply
The dual response and RERA detection features certainly never made it into Canada, at least for early AS10 machines. Only one update ever came to me in nearly four years.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2018, 05:49 PM)Dog Slobber Wrote: OTA firmware upgrades I'm aware of are:
  • Bugfix to address a bug where static electricity is interpreted as a climate line air fault and turns the humidifier off.
  • Feature to add Standard and Soft response to AutoSet
  • Feature to add RERA detection

Thanks.  I agree that those are important to most patients.  The problem is that Resmed has chosen to bundle all communications together in one package: when you leave the modem enabled, your daily summaries are sent to Resmed and/or the clearinghouse that the DMEs retrieve them from, and your machine is eligible to have firmware updates pushed to it (without asking the patient or anyone else).  There's no separation of interests.

There are various reasons to object to the modem and to disable it, and privacy is one.  With Resmed's practices so far, and I assume PR's as well with the Dreamstation modem, there's no privacy in that regard if you leave the modem enabled beyond the compliance period.  (And during the compliance period, any patient should be, but usually is not, offered the option of providing his or her compliance data via the SD card instead of the modem.)  Personally, if I have to choose (because of Resmed's carelessness) between getting the firmware updates and nuking the modem, I'll nuke the modem.  But that's just me.

BTW, I know I'm dreaming here, but the firmware updates also should be, but are not, offered to patients on an SD card and via a .bin file downloaded from the web site and written to a card: patient inserts card; firmware reads it, sees that it's an update, verifies the blob's checksum, checks its GPG signature using a key stored in ROM for that purpose, decrypts it, and applies it if it's valid.  No shoes, no shirt, no problem.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 52 1,366 Yesterday, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 126 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 26,931 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 129 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 27,525 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 280 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,475 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.