Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10
RE: Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10
I followed the instructions on disabling the modem on my Resmed and the instructions were well written. Only took 5 minutes from start to finish. I don't deal with a DME and don't see any point for Resmed to have access to my personal data. If it could cause a problem with the machine I wouldn't have done it. But it's a pretty simple task for a lay person like me.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
The directions do look easy enough, want to do this to my travel/backup machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have any pictures for Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10?

I am getting a new ResMed Airsense 10 next week.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a video on How to Permanently Disable the ResMed AirSense 10 modem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XOXmEH5Pl4
CAUTION: this procedure will likely void your machine's warranty and may result in permanent damage if something goes wrong, and may result in an inability to remain in compliance with your insurance company's requirements for future sleep apnea related coverage. Use this information AT YOUR OWN RISK. Apnea Board recommends that you do not attempt this procedure unless you're qualified to do so and fully understand the implications of performing this procedure.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I was following up on an research paper Sheepless posted today.  

Completely unplanned and unexpected I stumbled across this random POSSIBLE example of how ResMed is using the data collected from our machines for research and analysis.

Quote:Of the 247,895 patients (who represent 30% of the database who started PAP therapy in the assessment window [January 1, 2015 to October 2, 2015]), 211,691 were registered in the United States, had used only AirSense/AirCurve 10 device(s), had valid data entry, and had at least one session with use of 1 hour or more.

A total of 189,724 patients had used CPAP only (
Figure 1A
). ASV was started between January 1, 2015 to October 2, 2015 in 13,423 patients, 9,701 of whom were registered in the United States, had used only AirSense/AirCurve 10 device(s), and had valid data entry and at least one session with use of 1 hour or more.

Of these, 8,957 had used ASV only, 338 had switched from CPAP to ASV and 209 had started ASV therapy by October 2, 2015

Adherence to Positive Airway Therapy After Switching From CPAP to ASV: A Big Data Analysis
Jean-Louis D. Pépin, MD1; Holger Woehrle, MD2,3; Dongquan Liu, PhD4; Shiyun Shao, PhD4; Jeff P. Armitstead, PhD3; Peter A. Cistulli, MD5; Adam V. Benjafield, PhD6; Atul Malhotra, MD7

Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine http://jcsm.aasm.org/ViewAbstract.aspx?pid=31166 
http://dx.doi.org/10.5664/jcsm.6880

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2019, 09:07 PM)WillSleep Wrote: I was following up on an research paper Sheepless posted today.  

Completely unplanned and unexpected I stumbled across this random POSSIBLE example of how ResMed is using the data collected from our machines for research and analysis.

Yes, but how many of that quarter-million cohort gave informed consent to be part of this research? I haven't seen anything in writing from Resmed (or Philips etc) seeking consent to use my personal data (anonymised or not) for any purpose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the link was posted by mper6794 in a reply to me. in any event, I can't take credit for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2019, 09:20 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 09:07 PM)WillSleep Wrote: I was following up on an research paper Sheepless posted today.  

Yes, but how many of that quarter-million cohort gave informed consent to be part of this research? I haven't seen anything in writing from Resmed (or Philips etc) seeking consent to use my personal data (anonymised or not) for any purpose.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4707567/

Quote:Many jurisdictions, including those in North America and Europe, do not designate anonymised health data as personal informationTherefore, such data would no longer be covered by privacy laws, allowing it to be used and disclosed for any secondary purpose. However, there is an expectation that the anonymised data will be used only for purposes that are legitimate, in a manner that would not surprise the patients, and not in a discriminatory or stigmatising manner. This expectation has been made explicit in the EU context, and falls under a privacy ethics framework outside the European Union.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks DogSlobber, that was a good read. However there is still an element of Big Brother at play here - unless I remove the modem (and void the warranty) "They" have my data, unbeknown to me, to be used for whatever purpose "They" think fit. Did I consent to this? No. Have "they" even told me they're doing this? No.

Of course there are expectations that "They" would do the right thing, just like Facebook and Cambridge Analytica did the right thing.... The fact is the data that Resmed gathers in this way necessarily includes the serial number of my machine. With that they can cross reference who my provider is, my insurance details, Medicare details etc etc. It's not hard.

Am I starting to sound paranoid? Probably.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2019, 08:55 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Am I starting to sound paranoid? Probably.

Welcome to my world, DB... Bigwink
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 360 1 hour ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,719 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,766 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 227 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,176 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 213 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.