Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10
RE: Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10
I have noticed that the software version of my Resmed S10 sometimes increases. My guess is that Resmed is downloading software fixes.
Post Reply Post Reply
We are not aware of any over the air updates for the resmed has occurred. Other than its humidifier a number of years ago. I think you are mistaken that the firmware number has gone up, but happy to be informed otherwise
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm new here, with a new CPAP, but I don't have to know much to realize the automatic data release via a cellphone modem in the CPAP IS WRONG.

I haven't disconnected my modem, but I have plans to defeat its operation without opening my CPAP or doing any mods.

There are two methods of defeating the cell phone based downloads without electrical mods to the cpap itself.

#1, use a Faraday cage, 2 users in this thread mentioned this possibility. I played with my CPAP and some aluminum foil and trying to position the CPAP in an RF Hole by reorienting the unit. The cell signal isn't strong at my house, but no matter what I did, I couldn't make the signal weak enough to destroy the cellular connectability. The best I could do was to reduce the received signal strength by about 8dbm-but the signal is still strong enough to make the cell link usable!!

#2, use a cell phone jammer-there are legal ramifications of course. But, we can put the jammer within about 1 inch of the receiving antenna and reduce the jammer output to a low level. With the cell signal being weak to begin with, very little jammer power is needed. I'll build my own jammer, if it comes down to that! A 'smart jammer' is even better, it only interferes with the receive signal from the offending cell tower (the control frequency, not the actual data receive frequency), but would cost more to build. My jammer won't be audible outside my house.

If I am asked for compliance data, I will give them a screen capture of the OSCAR screen, with only the compliance data shown! If they persist, I will tell them about the danger of having microwave signals in my house that aren't controlled by me! It is my right to disable the transmitter in order to avoid RF exposure because it is deleterious to my health.

'nuff said I guess-I know the thread is old, so not sure whether anyone will read this hi hi.

W1ABA
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2015, 09:36 PM)Sleep87 Wrote: P.S. to anyone from ResMed reading this: some of us do not consent to having our sleep data shared with you.  I was very tempted to have my DME supplier swap out this ResMed device for another vendor's CPAP.  I suggest that your future machines have an easy option to disable the modem and leave it disabled.  Perhaps the modem could be an easily-removable add-on, as with the S9.  Or perhaps you could have a hardware disable switch hidden inside one of the side panels.

DAMN STRAIGHT! Thanks for having the guts to write this and to the forum management to allow it to be distributed!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2018, 10:46 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Odd curious question: can the modem be turned "off" but not really be off?

Dave, I'm reading the entire thread, and just came across your comment on Page 7.

YOU GET THE PRIZE! With modern CMOS, the chips do not use power unless they receive data-so the power switch DOES NOT turn the total device off! This is why our printers don't have power switches! There is no reason to believe that shutting off the CPAP disables it's cell based modem from calling home to upload your daily sleep stats! And, based on Resmeds policy regarding privacy, is there any one here that would trust them to really disable the modem by having airplane modem enabled!!??

To those who say RF isn't harmful citing absorbed power from an rf field, consider that our bodies communicate on a cell to cell basis with electrical signals-these signals are weak and the most distant cell transmitter defeats the cell to cell interactive communication via electromagnetic fields. Communication of brain cells called synapses is destroyed, and can be proven by medical procedures commonly available to medical people.

The time has come and gone...the myth has been busted. EMF does harm the body!

ABA
Post Reply Post Reply
I strongly suggest that before touching any of the connections on the printed circuit board, the individual should properly "ground" themselves to the device's ground terminal, even if only momentarily.  

That's why I wear a wrist strap when working on notebooks (the electronic kind!) or computers to harmlessly discharge static electricity while I work.

The author of this how-to article has written something of which he should be proud.
Post Reply Post Reply
these instructions were very helpful, thank you! (had to open up the machine to fix the power button which had come loose)
Post Reply Post Reply
where can I find a replacement for this J302 wifi cable... I broke it!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ivanvargas1! - Welcome
I would try one of the following 3 electronic part suppliers for ribbon cable:
* Digikey
* Mouser
* Newark Electronics

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much Crimson Nape! I will check those out. Don't know the proper name of the ribbon, but I will try to figure it out. I appreciate the response and the welcome!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 52 1,350 6 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 119 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 26,919 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 129 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 27,507 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 277 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,473 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.