Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Seniors FYI
Happy birthday Mark!! My first purchased-by-me computer was a Mac Plus. $1700. I know twentysomethings who didn't know you could pop popcorn on a stove.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2015, 07:18 AM)Mark Douglas Wrote: So here I am reading this on my birthday ..... thanks a whole bunch.
My first computer was powered by an 8086 and it pee me off when some sales punk asks me if I use a computer. I tell them yes but it's a coal fired model.

Mine was a PDP 8L. Well, not mine personally - it was our lab's at the Uni. I think my first one was a Sun, near as I can recall, and that was replaced by an SGI indy, but until then all my computers were in the labs, nothing at home, although I was at the original Apple II launch in London and later in Zurich - but I had no need for one, not when I had something more massively powered at work and I had a Teletype at home to communicate with it if I needed to. We thought back then that 300 BAUD was so fast you would never need more to do anything. HAH!

And Happy Birthday, Mark old man!

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all!
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply

Don't feel bad, my first computer was a Tandy Model 1 with 4K (yes K) of RAM. BTW, I still have both of my slide rules from high school and college. Oh, and in the early 70s took a semester of FORTRAN 2 and FORTRAN 4 and got credit for a year of a foreign language. Those were the days.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hmmm. I wonder where my K&E slipstick has gotten to?. If the world collapses I might need it again if the processor can remember how to use it..

Hey something shiny !! there is a bunch for sale on ebay
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
Happy Birthday Mark!

My first computer:

[Image: 10%20Fingers.jpg]

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply

Real computers are base 2, not base 10.

Base 10 computers are carbon-based, base 2 are silicon-based.

Although licking the excess fried chicken grease off a base 10 computer is much more satisfying & safe than doing so off a base 2 computer.

Licklips
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh heck yeah. Big Grinnie

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2015, 04:03 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Real computers are base 2, not base 10.

Base 10 computers are carbon-based, base 2 are silicon-based.

Although licking the excess fried chicken grease off a base 10 computer is much more satisfying & safe than doing so off a base 2 computer.

Licklips

Well, true at the lowest level... However, the IBM 1620 did BCD arithmetic. Of 16 possible states per 4 bits, BCD (Binary Coded Decimal) used 4 bits to represent 0 through 9 decimal. There was no fixed word length. At the heart of the ALU was a BCD adder.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Bompa ~

Thanks for your post. What a relief - sort of - to know I am not the only one who has been afflicted with whatever is "going around."

I find the older I get the less I am inclined to put up with the foolishness that seems to be happening around me. I heard someone say at a local Senior Center ......"People wonder why old people are so crabby - but they will only understand the WHY when they, themselves get OLD." Why didn't anyone warn us ...... especially the part about print on everything we try to read that got smaller overnight ??? Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply