Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sensible Advice Required
RE: Sensible Advice Required
(08-21-2014, 04:18 PM)herbm Wrote: If the leak is normal (all masks leak SOME or you couldn't exhale) then enjoy the mask as long as it is comfortable for you.

True...there is an intentional leak rate to all masks.

Sleepy Gamer, just don't freak out if it says "0" for leaks...ResMed machines report the unintentional leak rate (or the "actual" leaks), not a total of the unintentional leaks and what is intended to be vented / leaked so you don't breathe the same air over and over again.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
And when Resmed reports the leak it Guestimates.

You can't take Respironic leak limits and use them on a Resmed machine (or vice versa) and use them for guidance.

The former doesn't subtract out the designed or intended leak, while Resmed tries to do this.

Someone will post the limits for you, but I haven't been around in a while and not sure I would be accurate so it's better not to put wrong info here.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2014, 03:25 AM)Mac_Sheepcounter Wrote: Hi SleepyGamer,

aren't you using some software to check your therapy?
In this case you should very easy see any kind of leak or other problems.
Otherwise you're "flying blind", so i definitely recommend using some software like "SleepyHead".

I'm also using the ResMed S9 with a full face mask, and i'm looking for a better mask, because i'm a "side sleeper". So i have a lot of leaks every night Sad

I'm also a side sleeper, using Quattro Air and/or AirFit F10, which use the same cushion. I use mask liners to help with the leaks, and I rarely go above the red leak line in sleepyhead, and hardly ever wake up from leaks. I'd suggest trying mask liners before heading out to find a "better" mask as all masks do leak somewhat and the Air is a particularly leaky mask. It's much cheaper in the long run if you can make liners work for you. You can find them by Googling "cpap mask liners" and order online, or check with your DME - some are available from your DME.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2014, 02:49 AM)herbm Wrote: And when Resmed reports the leak it Guestimates.

I am not sure that I understand shy you say that ResMed Guesstimates the leak rate.

The way that I see is there is a fairly simple method to estimate the unintentional leak. The intentional leak rate at whatever pressure is known. By subtracting that from the total leak rate you are left with the unintentional leak rate. There are also other, more complex methods that can be used for a more refined value.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Big Dave @ 3, I tried your advice about placing old pillows in boiled water with baking soda for 15 minutes and you are right it gave them renewed life!
I had five pillows I had given up on and did what you said and then tried them all out and they now have a great seal back on them.

Just one thing, did you say to boil them for fifteen minutes or rest them in the boiled water for fifteen minutes?
I did the latter and it has worked fine. At $10.00 a pop you have saved me a few dollars.
Many thanks for the tip.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2014, 12:38 AM)Gabby Wrote: Big Dave @ 3, I tried your advice about placing old pillows in boiled water with baking soda for 15 minutes and you are right it gave them renewed life!
I had five pillows I had given up on and did what you said and then tried them all out and they now have a great seal back on them.

Just one thing, did you say to boil them for fifteen minutes or rest them in the boiled water for fifteen minutes?
I did the latter and it has worked fine. At $10.00 a pop you have saved me a few dollars.
Many thanks for the tip.

I just set the mask cushion in the boiled water. Some people leave them actually on the heat. It works out the same either way.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cheers Dave, that is exactly what I did and it worked a treat.
Thanks again for the tip.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2014, 10:35 PM)Sleepy Gamer Wrote: I wanted to ask others if a chin strap/ replacing the seal has helped or if masks do "wear out"? It seems like a bit of personal preference to me. I have generally had a good seal with my Mirage Quattro up until now, where I may be dropping my jaw.

Thanks for reading

Masks do wear out. They seem to last longer for me than for many people - mine tend to last between 6 months and a year before the material becomes less flexible and resilient to the point that it won't maintain a seal. For example, I started using the Airfit P10 in February and I've just noticed that the seal around my nostrils isn't as good as it once was. I will probably replace the nasal pillows on the mask this week.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2014, 10:50 PM)big_dave Wrote: Welcome

Old mask cushions will get leaky when the silicone becomes inflexible. You could try boiling the mask cushion with baking soda. I sometimes boil about a quart of water, add a teaspoon of baking soda, drop it in, and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then it will be slimy from skin oils which will need to be washed off. (You will probably need a bigger container for the Mirage Quattro.)

Boiling is a good stopgap measure to get a little more life out of a mask cushion. You really need to get a new one, but this gives you some time.

Hope this helps you.

What does the baking soda do?
Post Reply Post Reply
It helps remove the built up skin oils.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 44 1,817 3 hours ago
Last Post: akarifur
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 301 11 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 179 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 60 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 873 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.